Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 157
      • Overall: 169

Got up this morning and went out to render 160 pounds of lead. Turkey fryer is a Bayou Classic SP1 Jet Cooker. Bought it in May this year and you almost have to wear hearing protection to use it because it sounds like the afterburner of a jet! Really had to stay on top of things to keep the temp below 750 degrees. Well, that was the way it was the first time I used it in May. Today I turned it on and it sounded like the afterburner for about 30 minutes and then not so much. I got the first batch melted pretty quick and had to turn the heat down to keep from going over 750…………………and then the next time I checked it, the flame had lowered to where I could see yellow in it. Not good, I thought. The rest of the day, I did good to get the lead to 550 degrees. Might this have been caused by the low temps today. (31 degrees when I started this morning) Or might I have a problem with the regulator? I need some help because I’ve got 80 pounds of solidified lead in the pot right now. [h=1][/h]

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

Are you sure you’re not over-taxing the propane source? Yellow sounds like the air intake is plugged or turned down too much.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Worked perfectly the last time I used it. The propane tank is open all the way and the valve on the turkey fryer started out about halfway full-bore and eventually full-bore. Where is the air intake, down just before the flame? Maybe a spider set up a homestead in there while the fryer was in storage. I’ll check that tomorrow.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

The air intake should be where the hose connects to the burner. Some have a damper that can adjust how much air can get sucked in. Are you sure the tank isn’t freezing up?

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I’ll check it this morning. Got to finish up this rendering. No, I’m not sure the tank was freezing up…………..I don’t know how to check for that.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Cold temps will effect propane gas pressure. So not as much gas moving into the regulator and hose.

In -30’s temps up here I have seen big 500 gallon propane tanks not put out enough gas to run the furnace.
      I believe they are burying the tanks nowdays so they can be covered easily. Fewer problems.

Take the tank into the house overnight and try it that way the next morning.
      I bet it is back roaring again.

I bought the same burner for my lead shot dropper and for smelting lead. Nice rig and a nice price. I’m happy with mine, plus cleanup out in the garage is an order of magnitude easier than cleaning up momma’s kitchen which is what I used to use.

Faster too.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks. I did bring both of the tanks into my shop after I quit messing with all of it yesterday. It’s 70 degrees in there. They ought to be better. It’s still cold her, but already 42 degrees outside………headed for 60, so I might do just fine today.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 73
      • Overall: 86

Check for Spider/ spider web in the gas tube

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Tore it all down and no “visitors”. I think it’s the regulator. I sent an e-mail to Bayou Classics. We’ll see what they say.

Just got off the phone with the factory. Simple Fix! Make sure the valve on the line is turned off before hooking up to propane tank. There is a small ball and spring inside the regulator. If the valve is open when hooking up to the tank, the ball is forced against a seal and the flame will look like a Bic lighter. (no kidding)

All is well and the pot is heating!

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

That small ball and spring is an excess flow check valve. It serves to shutoff flow should you have a line break. It will prevent you from having a open ended hose attached to your propane tank. Would not be good if you already had a fire going. At a very high flow rate you can even get liquid propane to carryover and come out the hose.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Exactly! All is well and my 80 pounds of lead is molten and ready to pour into ingots!

Sure am glad this worked out. I was able to put my entire 160 pounds of “mystery” lead in the pot and make one homogeneous batch. I’m sending a 1# ingot to BNE for analyzing. Now it’ll no longer be a mystery! :p

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.