Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I have noticed that small rifle and small pistol primers are already becoming scarce.

During Bills Assault weapons ban back in 93 ,it was primers that no one could find.

Midway is running a no hazmat fee deal on CCI primers till Wednesday.

They have both small pistol and small rifle in stock.

I just bought some.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Just thinking about primers, does anyone know if heat deteriorates them like it does smokeless powder?

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

From SAAMI:

Recommended Storage of Primers

Storage cabinets containing only primers are recommended. These cabinets should be ruggedly constructed of lumber at least 1″ nominal thickness to delay or minimize the
      transmission of heat in the event of fire. SAAMI recommends

against storing primers in sealed or pressurized containers.

Keep your storage and use area clean. Make sure the surrounding area is free of trash or other readily combustible materials.

Be sure your storage area is free from any possible sources of excessive heat and is isolated from open flame, furnaces, water heaters, etc. Do not store primers where they can be exposed to direct sunlight.

Avoid storage in areas where mechanical or electrical equipment is in operation.

Do not store primers in the same area with solvents, flammable gases, or highly combustible materials. Store primers only in their original factory containers. Do not transfer the primers from this approved container into one which is not approved. The use of glass bottles, fruit jars, plastic or metal containers, or other bulk containers for primer storage is extremely hazardous.

Do not smoke in areas where primers are stored. Place appropriate “No Smoking” signs in these areas.

Do not store primers in any area where they might be exposed to gun fire, bullet impact, or ricochets. Do not store primers with propellant powders or any other highly combustible materials so as to avoid involving primers in a fire as much as possible. Observe all regulations regarding quantity and methods of storing primers.

Per RECOMMENDATIONS ON STORAGE AND HANDLING
      Issued by the National Fire Protection Association
      Battery March Park, Quincy, MA 02269 and reprinted with their permission: NFPA 495 Explosive Materials Code

This code was originally issued in 1912 as the Suggested State Law to Regulate the Manufacture, Storage, Sale and Use of Explosives. The second edition was issued in 1941 by the Committee on laws and Ordinance and retitled Suggested Explosives Ordinance for Cities. Later, the document number NFPA 495L was designated.

11-5.2 Transportation of small arms primers shall comply with US Department of Transportation Regulations.

11-5.3 No more than 25,000 small arms primers may be transported in a private vehicle.

11-5.4 No more than 10,000 small arms primers may be stored in residences.

11-5.5 No more than 10,000 small arms primers may be displayed in commercial establishments.

11-5.6 Commercial stocks of small arms primers shall be stored as follows:

(a) Quantities not exceeding 750,000 may be stored in a building if not more than 100,000 are stored in any one pile and piles are at least 15 ft (4.6 m) apart.

(b) Quantities exceeding 750,000 may be stored in a building if the following conditions are met:

1. The warehouse or storage room shall not be accessible to unauthorized personnel.

2. Primers shall be stored in cabinets. No more than 200,000 primers shall be stored in any one cabinet.

3. Shelves in cabinets shall have vertical separation of at least 2 ft (0.6 m).

4. Cabinets shall be located against walls of the warehouse or storage room with at least 40 ft (12.2 m) between cabinets.

5. Separation between cabinets may be reduced to 20 ft (6.1 m) if barricades twice the height of the cabinets are attached to the wall, midway between each cabinet. The bar-
      ricades shall extend at least 10 ft (3 m) outward, shall be firmly attached to the wall, and shall be constructed of 1/4 in. (6.4 mm) boiler plate, 2 in. (51 mm) thick wood, brick or
      concrete block.

6. Primers shall be separated from materials classified by the US Department of Transportation as flammable liquids, flammable solids, and oxidizing materials by a distance of 25 ft (7.63 m) or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least 1 hour.

7. The building shall be protected by an automatic sprinkler system installed according to NFPA 13, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems.
      (c) Small arms primers not stored according to (a) or (b) above shall be stored in a magazine meeting the requirements of Chapter 6

the above is not a requirement for storage I usually store in a military ammo can inside a cabinet. Heat same as powder, rotate stockage interesting to not that primers can actually be stored way longer than powder if in a cool location. Hope this help answers your questions

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I still have some old Remington primers in the red container that my father had back in the 60’s
      I believe they are still good, but keep them as a memory of him and the time we had together when I was young.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks for your post.
      Do you keep any desiccant in your ammo cans?

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

I did but lately no

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

No matter which way the political winds blow, the panic buying has already begun and the hoarding will strip the shelves of gun shops soon after. It’s the same every election now. And the old “I heard that the government is gonna . ….” makes it worse by creating panic. Despicable behavior.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Most of the gun shops here still have about everything.
      I was surprised to see more powder than in the last four years.

Small pistol primers are the only thing I saw missing.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

There wasn’t much sign of panic buying at Knob Creek last weekend. There were even a few good deals to be had. But I’m sure it’s coming. 🙁

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I haven’t seen it yet.
      I have no money to buy anything with now anyway.
      I have to help my daughter with her medical expenses.
      She is very ,very sick and family always comes first.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Oh, it’s ramping up. Buddy of mine works at a local sporting goods store, and he told me yesterday that they were buying AR’s two at a time. He said they had about 750 of them two weeks ago, and now they are down to only 300.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Wow.I haven’t been to my regular gun shop in almost a year. He jacked up all his prices to take advantage of the Obama Rush..

So I quit going there.

I had been a good customer for 35 years..and he always gave me good prices, now he tries to rip me off..

I have seen more powder and .22LR ammo in the general market than the last four years.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

While one view is that the raising of prices is to rip you off, another is that they must make hay while the sun shines. After their current inventory is gone, they may have difficulty in obtaining more. That may mean a long time without sale of rifles, and thus not much income. The gun shops have been through this before just like we have.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

Sorry to hear that…best of wishes to you and your family.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Everything is going UP. Gas 20 cents over the weekend. 2 LGS are reducing their stock – one had all their holsters on sale, the other stated their supply (they make them) of AR parts has halted temp. – news is out that O is trying to get the UN small arms deal pushed through before he leaves. Flyer from Cabelas today has mostly guns for sale. Try to get rid of stock before they get stuck?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.