Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I will soon tackle a bucket of 5.56 brass. I have in the past used a friend’s Dillion primer pocket swager, but was concerned there really was no way to control the depth of the tool entering the primer pocket since the ram bears on the base of the case inside. If there is a difference in the web of the cases it seems I could be creating primer pockets of differing depths. Another method I have use is the Lyman primer pocket reamer. While a little slower it seems it might get the depth a little more consistent. This has become a concern after my recent incident with high primers using WW primers in my RP brass. Please provide your experience and recommendations.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

The Dillon doesn’t bottom out in my experience, and only swages the rim of the primer pocket out. If there is a flaw, it’s that the push rod inside the case can roll over the piercing flash and obstruct the flash hole, so it’s a good idea to debur them before swaging. I find the Dillon to be fast and reliable. I set a cardboard box behind the press so that when I flip the lever, it just chunks the brass into the box. Kinda fun really, and goes fast.
      It’s also a good idea to separate your brass by brand in case there’s a discrepancy in web thickness, but I found that a little bit of feel and handle savvy goes a long way toward avoiding smashing the pockets too deep or shallow. One might even be tempted to use the feel of the press as another way to sort the brass…….nah!!! I just run em through there!

Another option is the RCBS swaging tool that my buddy has used to process untold thousands of 45ACP, 7.62, and 5.56 brass. Works like a treat, but I’m pretty sure the Dillon is a touch faster and more fun.
      You don’t have the issue with web thickness or piercing flash with the RCBS.

The reamer is a drag in my opinion. I have both the Hornady tools and they work well, but if you’re talking about processing 2000 pieces of anything you’re going to have some sore fingers, and that sucker is going to bite you a couple times. That said, I could see it going pretty fast when the reamer is mounted on a station with all the other rotating brass prep tools. but the fact remains that the primers enter a swaged pocket smoother than it does in a reamed pocket.

I prefer the Dillon.

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 39
      • Overall: 50

I use the RCBS primer pocket swaging tools in my RCBS Ammomaster press for the few thousand 5.56 and 7.62 brass I have done. Its easy to run on that large of a press and produces a good pocket size to fit primers. I usually check them with a Hornady primer pocket cutter by hand to check them as I look through the primer hole to check for obstructions. Works ok for me.

slim1836
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 63
      • Overall: 66

I too have the RCBS swaging tool I used on ZQI cases as they seemed too tight to me. Worked great.

Slim

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

I’ve had a Dillon primer pocket swager for 30 30 years. I’ve swaged thousands of 9mm, 45 ACP, 5.56 NATO, 7.62 NATO and 30 Gvmt cases over the years with it. It works fine. However, before the Dillon I tried several commercial swagers, with mediocre results. Before the Dillon and even still I use a counter sink with the point slightly ground off to remove thousands of crimps from the same types of cases. I used it chucked in my mini or regular lathe or a hand drill held in a vice. Cutting the crimps out with it actually is faster and easier than with the Dillon. Additionally there is no set up or adjustment time with the countersink……just chuck it up and start decrimping.

Larry Gibson

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Larry, I believe I’ll try that. I have had success with a RCBS case deburring tool to, but it is only hand powered.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

My father did that with the RCBS chamfer tool. They used to put a 1/8″ shaft on the OD fishtail which served no purpose except to get a drill chuck on it. Worked like treat. But there was still a slight constriction, and even though I could jam the primers in there, it wasn’t as smooth and flawless as it was after a trip
      through the Dillon or the RCBS. Just my opinion.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Just when I thought I’d made up my mind, I’m back swimming in the conundrum.

Come Christmas vacation when I tackle this project, I’ll try several different methods and report back.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 73
      • Overall: 86

Once you have gone Dillon you will not go back
      Sort brass by head stamp

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

JHSFun;n12480 wrote: Once you have gone Dillon you will not go back
      Sort brass by head stamp

Goodsteel stated that the Dillon will not fix a primer pocket that is too shallow. Did you find the same?

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I have the Dillon and really like it.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

For the record, neither will the Hornady cutters. None of them are center cutting. They only cut the sides of the pocket.

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 39

I like your idea of using the counter sink Larry. This would work well mounting the ground off counter sink in my Shopsmith drill chuck with the table set close to rest my hand on. Then finish them off in the RCBS swager to make them all the same.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

I have the Dillon. Should be bought it from the start. Had the RCBS and C4HD swagers. To inconsistent and I got tired of ripping case heads off. The Dillon is the best off press option. The easiest and fastest is to get a Dillon 1050 and hook it up to an autodrive. Add their electric case trimmer and you end up w/ a finished case that’s ready to load. Unfortunately this is the most expensive option. If you have a 550 or 650 you can buy an aftermarket swager for them. But it voids your warranty. There is no backup rod in the case when it’s swaging the pocket. But the option is there if you wanted to use one. I do not cut out the crimps.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

And here I am still using my old outdated Lyman primer reamers (uniformer ) with the Flash hole reamer…..

JRR
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 84
      • Overall: 107

I once did about 500 ’06 cases just by chucking a RCBS chamfer tool in my drill press. Worked great after learning by feel the right amount of materiel to remove. Very quick just leaving the motor on and touching the case to the cutter at about 1.5 seconds each.

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 82
      • Overall: 90

The Dillon is nice but I have the RCBS and have done several thousand rounds with it, for me it was a cost decision. That said I also use the Lyman hand reamers for when I have a handful or two of range pickups.

sundog
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 30

I have the Dillon. It’s works very well.

Phil
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 52
      • Overall: 54

I have used the Dillon since mid 80s. As others, first I uniform and debur the inside flash hole.

farmerjim
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 25
      • Overall: 25

RCBS chamfer tool in a mini lathe is faster than any of the other methods.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

I use the Hornady crimp removal tool, RCBS uniformer by hand or drill but only to clean up the converted BO or an occasional crimped range pickup. Still have 750 pcs of 308 MG that were swaged by LoveLife left. Found a couple that needed a touch up.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I reamed for longer than I care to remember…….
      A while back I got a second hand RCBS swage tool . Wow ,what a difference in time spent . I ran 1000 223 1x with the NTM tools in 2 evenings .
      Of course I keep a VLD chamfer tool handy when I get to priming as 1 in 20 or so hang up.

bullet maker
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 76
      • Overall: 88

I prefer the Dillon. That being said,I have used the RCBS. Sore hands. Went to the Dillon.

DaveInGA
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 44

I bought the Dillon used with all the extras. I had tried out the RCBS and other press mounted solutions and found them to be slow and less than satisfactory. I did some youtube investigation, found some very useful mods to speed up the Dillon and it save my hands dealing with 5000 milsurp 5.56MM brass. It’s a good one.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

I’m very satisfied with my Dillon as well. Gave up making brass chips long ago.

Balkandom
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 4

I am a fan of swaging. The metal was put there for a reason, and I do not like taking it away. Just my thoughts.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.