Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 77
      • Overall: 87

The NOE 358-128-SWC is NOE’s version of the H&G #275 for 9mm. Here is the NOE link: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=2221

I will be loading this bullet for the 9mm and shooting it in a Beretta M9A3 and Glock 17 with factory barrel (gasp!!). Before I load any cartridge for any caliber that I own multiple firearms for, I sit own and find an OAL that will plunk in all of my guns. It was easy with the NOE bullet since my guns have correctly cut throats AND if you load to 1.090 the grease groove gets precariously close to the case mouth.

So I loaded some dummies and all plunked in both barrel chambers. The OAL I settled on was 1.070.

With that figured out I plan to load up using HP-38 powder and will straddle the 125 gr and 147 gr load data for jacketed bullets. I will start at 3.6 gr and slowly proceed until case head measurements and the chrony tell me to stop. I’ll probably stop around 4.1-4.3 gr of HP-38. I got my loads from the Lyman 49th manual. Interesting thing is all 20 of my other manuals list significantly more HP-38 as a top end for both the 125 and 147 gr bullets in those manuals.

I will be using WCC milsurp brass that has been cleaned, swaged, and trimmed to uniform length.
      Primers will be whatever I grab out of the stash first
      Lube will be a 50/50 mix of Lotak Hard/Thompson Blue Angel

Once I get to the range I will update this thread with targets, chrony data, and case head measurements…and maybe some pictures of me wearing 5.11 pants and Oakley sunglasses.

OptimusPanda
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 28

I am curious where you end up with charge weight and accuracy in that beretta. How big are you sizing them?

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

I am sizing to .357 and casting with a 95/2.5/2.5 ish alloy. Once I do my initial load work up to find a safe powder range, I will do the same work up with PC coated bullets. I’m hoping I won’t have to water drop or oven heat treat and that this 9mm will play nice like all my other 9mm’s have, lol.

As for accuracy, I expect it to hold black in the 8 ring and in at 25 yards at least with cast bullets on a B-16 target . Using 115 gr Remington and 124 gr Winchester NATO ammo, this gun will hold the black staying within the 8 ring and in consistently at 25 yards and do pretty well at 50 yards. Using plated bullets it doesn’t hold the black at 25 or 50, but the majority are the 7 ring and in, with a couple out. I’ve never gotten plated to shoot as well as a good jacketed or cast bullet even with rather rigorous load development.

However, regardless of load/bullet used so far, you wouldn’t want to be standing down range if within 50 yds as this gun will stay on an echo target at those distances without even breaking a sweat.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

I’m using ~3% Sb alloy in 9 (130gr) & 40 (165gr), coated with WST & 231, no problem AC.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

Just want to follow this thread since I have the same mold. I think I cast some of this bullet lately. Can’t remember because I used eight molds I’ve never used before.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

I just got my 1st test batch loaded up. 3.5, 3.7, 3.9, 4.0, and 4.1 gr of HP-38 seated to 1.070 in WCC 1X fired brass and Remington SPP. Lube is a mixture of Lotak Hard/Thompson Blue Angel. Bullets are sized to .357 using a star sizer.

I loaded 10 at each charge, and all rds load to the bottom of the magazine without any binding. Matter of fact, there is a ton of room in the magazine to load bullets significantly longer in the Beretta M9A3. As it sits now though, the Beretta comes from the factory sighted in for a 6 o’ clock hold with 124 gr FMJ. I’m hoping for similar POA/POI using this bullet. I’m actually desperately praying they work because the plated bullets are not very accurate at all.

Anywho, I hit the range tomorrow and will post targets when I get back.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.