Which is the better pre-fit stock?
      Boyds or Richards??

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

It depends on what you’re doing with it.

Boydes stocks are light, cheap, and made of very hard laminate that is very stiff. I’ve built 1/2MOA rifles on them, but they are far from ultimate quality and a Boydes will never be more than a Boydes.

RMF stocks are slightly softer laminate, still stiff, more expensive, and require hours of finishing. They also are the cheapest place to get an excellent cut of gorgeous walnut or maple. If I’m building a premium rifle, I use RMF, and you will see many examples of bench rifles and sporting rifles I have created using their products. Such as the custom 22 I posted recently in the custom rifle’s forum.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I just ordered a Richards stock for the little Woodland Safari.
      I ordered the Safari classic style, in semi-fancy (whatever grade that is) ?
      what should I expect with their ‘semi fancy’ ??

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

You should expect wood figure that would make you double take if you saw it in a lineup. Definitely better than average. You’ll love it! The Safari rolover is an excellent choice too BTW.

Be ready to remove wood if you need to. Unlike Boydes, Richards is very generous with their profiles and make sure you can customize to taste.

If you have a 1/4 sheet vibratory sander, start with 60 grit to get the worst of the “beaver chewed” surface off of there. Use a good quality wood sealer once you work it down to 220. Sand the finishing passes by hand. Do not use steel wool or you will spend three years in gunsmith purgatory. Look into Brownells Gun Sav’r Custom Oil. This is a fantastic finish and I love it more with each passing year. I do not believe a finer gun finish exists. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/wood-finishes/gun-sav-r-custom-oil-gunstock-finish-prod5529.aspx

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

After talking with Richards, I came away with the feeling that anything that they class as ‘classic’ stock is better suited for open sights.
      And, anything they class as ‘monte carlo’ is better for a scope.
      Nowadays, it seems hard to get a stock cut correctly for drop at comb for the proper sights fitted to the gun. Scope sights need a much straighter butt because the rings are higher than open sights.
      I ordered their ‘safari classic’ with rosewood fore tip, semi-fancy.
      Not until I actually placed the order did I realize all the custom options they can do.
      I got the short forearm to go with my little 20″ barrel.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Tim,

Is the Brownells Gun Sav’r finish a high gloss or satin?

I googled the product mfr’ page and says gloss,

brownells page says satin.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

It’s a satin finish, but perhaps a little more glossy than satiny? Its worth trying, and I think it’s about as perfect as a gun finish can be. If you don’t like it on your gunstock, sand it off and spray it on your workbench. I love my gun sav’r treated benchtop.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.