Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

A lot of SW Kansas is burning up now with high winds pushing multiple fires. Just talked to my brother who was out with his county road grader trying slow them. He got caught when the wind changed and could not outrun the fire, and his grader will run about 30 mph. He said he was never as scared in his life. The flames were higher than the top of the cab of his grader. He was on the road and had to let it burn by. Several of the farmsteads I grew up with are now ashes. Entire towns evacuated. And it ain’t over yet. The fire did miss the homestead where I grew up, although there isn’t much to burn after the tornado in May. My younger sister said that her friends on the south side of Dodge City lost their place this afternoon. Winds were 60 mph today out there. Not a single fire, but multiple fires fanned up. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

Yikes. I didn’t see anything on the new about it. Of course the first 10 to 15 minutes of the mainstream news broadcasts are now devoted to bashing the President, so they really don’t have much time for real news.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Still burning. This photo from my brother’s road grader at about 1430 MST.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

Thats bad stuff. I hope everybody is smart and evacuates when told to do so. We have a big one burning south of me right now. As of this morning it was 6000 acres. It is moving west towards Naples.

sundog
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 30

Monday night when the front roared through the rain smelled like grass fire. Yesterday i saw fine black ash on the hood of the pickup. Meteorologist here said it was from the SW Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas panhandles grass fires. I am SE of Tulsa. Burn areas are so big they show up on satellite wx photos.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Talked to my brother last night. By yesterday the fire in Lane & Ness counties was pretty much out. Just some smoldering big trees left. The local news said 3,000 acres in Ness County and 57,000 acres in Lane County had burned. My brother named off 9 farmsteads that had burned. The first day when he got caught with the change in wind another farmer with a tractor and disc also got caught. He realized he was being overrun, drove his tractor into a farm pond, and waited for it to pass over. Some stations say thousands of cattle have died in the five state area. Deer season will be interesting again this year. Someone said they had seen dead deer too. Last year it was the tornado. I wonder what 2018 will bring.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

A link to more info and photos on the KS wildfires:

http://www.kansas.com/news/state/article137056168.html

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The tiniest Kansas town that burned the most

“The tiny town of Englewood probably suffered the most damage per capita of any town in Kansas in the largest wildfire to ever burn across the state.”

http://www.kansas.com/news/weather/article137322663.html

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Here’s a link to a facebook post about a farmstead about 10 miles from where I grew up. I did not know this woman, but did know her parents. Notice that some buildings did not burn, but the big 4-wd tractor did.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1744919022488904&id=100009124706212

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.