Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      nagantguy
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 23

I was visted by the stupid fairy today, pulling some 30-30 loads that dinto prove out, anyhow in a moment of stupidity I dumped some newer H4895 into a almost full bottle of older black colored imr4895 and did not noticed the mix up until I dumped some into the hopper. close burning rates, and these powders are used in reduced cast loads, I haven’t loading anything with this mixed powder and don’t think I will but what would you guys do, use it or dump it?

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

Both are 4895? I don’t think that you have a problem, particularly when using the blended 4895 powder for cast bullets. I’d just shake the container vigorously for a while to distribute the new kernels into the older more numerous kernels and then back off your load at least 10% and then work back up.

I was just talking with another experienced reloader about mixing different lots of the same powder a few days ago. We both do this on occasion when nearly out of one lot or container and starting another lot/container of the same powder. Of course I wouldn’t do this with say 4227 and 4831.

Give the Stupid Fairy a good slap on the face πŸ™‚ and you’ll be good to go without the sky falling.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

The only real problem I see is when your powder runs out, you won’t be able to duplicate you loads for the future.
      But if you are just plinking cans like they do on the CBF , it won’t really matter.;)

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Scharfschuetze;n8852 wrote: Both are 4895? I don’t think that you have a problem, particularly when using the blended 4895 powder for cast bullets. I’d just shake the container vigorously for a while to distribute the new kernels into the older more numerous kernels and then back off your load at least 10% and then work back up.

I was just talking with another experienced reloader about mixing different lots of the same powder a few days ago. We both do this on occasion when nearly out of one lot or container and starting another lot/container of the same powder. Of course I wouldn’t do this with say 4227 and 4831.

Give the Stupid Fairy a good slap on the face πŸ™‚ and you’ll be good to go without the sky falling.

I totally agree.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I too would use it up, preferably mix well and load it in something where you are nicely in the middle. Not max loads, not min loads. Perhaps something like 7.62×39 where you don’t expect or demand accuracy. Just go burn it up and enjoy it.

Then knock stupid in the head and don’t repeat that mistake.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Agree with all, shake it up and use it.

Larry Gibson

nagantguy
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…

gents your opinions based on experience testing and research mean aother to me, this or these powders I use mostly for testing reduced cast loads, not mouse fart, for nagants, Mauser and 30 30’s for full hope hunting loads I will just get a new jug of h4895, an exame.of a common load I’ll try with this new mixed/mistake/hybrid powder is in the neighbor hood of 30 grains in 8mm, 22 in 30-30, gentle, accurte, not to noisy and easy extractions, only real.fear is one 30 30 and one Mauser are very very old and spent conciderable time getting them.back in neat fighting trim.

nagantguy
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…

Larry Gibson;n8862 wrote: Agree with all, shake it up and use it.

Larry Gibson

Larry, you are actually just the guy I wanted to hear from, thank you, if this powder works out we’ll I may just always mix them, maybe even sell it as nagantguys wonder Wizz bang black and green death ray powder. I even know.the exact formula!

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Use it the burn difference is almost NIL

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β© 2017Β Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.