Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Beagle333
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 41
      • Overall: 45

I have always used a beam scale for powders, but have been researching all week on different measures and wanting to try one. I had pretty much decided on either the Uniflow or the 55…. and have been researching used and new prices, and this popped up on a Sales forum and I snatched it. I don’t know if I did well or not in buying both of these, but it looks like this purchase will at least let me get my learning curve started on measures and what they will do.

This is what I’m buying….

Listing is for a retired friend as received off his reloading bench. All units are 1970 vintage, all are in nice condition, no rust anywhere, all powder chambers are clear plastic, no cracks.
      Lyman model 55 and RCBS Uniflow. Lyman 55 is complete, orange in color. Powder chamber screws into cast body, has a cap. Brass calibrated slides and microscrews have free movement. Brass slides are tarnish free, clean and bright, has drop tube. RCBS Uniflow is complete, powder chamber cap is not original. Mechanical movement is smooth, no rust, has drop tube. $65.00 for both plus$10 shipping

Now, what else will I need to find before I can get started, besides mounting brackets for both of those?
      Thanks for any advice.
      Chuck.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I prefer the Uniflow to all others and I’ve used almost all of them.
      The Lyman has an onboard clamp that will fit a surface edge of less than 1 1/4″ and you just clamp it on the bench and use it.
      The Uniflow has standard 7/8-14 threads on the nose which can be screwed into your reloading press, but I highly recommend that you buy the piggyback stand and use a C clamp to secure it to the bench while in use, and also quickly remove/empty/store it when you are through.
      Go ahead and buy the universal drop tube set. the ones that were originally supplied to that powder measure were either aluminum or plated steel (can’t remember which) and the new ones are green plastic, but they both work equally well and are interchangeable.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 81

If you need a green cap for your Uniflow I think I have a few extra new tubes and caps floating around here somewhere. Drop me a PM if the cap is really crappy (or you aren’t happy with it ) and I will send you a new one (no charge).

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

Throw to throw consistency can be affected by the type of powder and also by how the measure is manipulated. Practice throwing charges and weigh them. Keep the cycle as consistent as possible. I also keep the hoppers no less than 1/3 full.

Don

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

See if this works. If not, do a search for “Uncle Nick’s powder baffle templates” and find the link to the old shooters forum. This gives templates for cutting your own baffles. A baffle is a darn good addition to help you keep your throws consistent.

https://www.google.com/search?noj=1&q=uncle+nick+powder+baffle+templates&oq=Uncle+Nick%27s+baffle+templates&gs_l=serp.1.0.0i7i30.6729.12000.0.13824.16.14.2.0.0.0.99.1021.14.14.0….0…1c.1.64.serp..1.15.935.5EaERD-8t2Y

Beagle333
      Participant
      • Bronze

I’ll look up those baffles. (Thanks also, ICH…. I’ll let you know when I get them, if any part is needed.)

Does anybody know anything about these weights? I read in a few places that they really help with powders like Unique and TiteGroup. This guy makes the weights to fit any powder measure.
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Powder-…kAAOxyVaBSyEo2

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

Really like the RCBS Uniflow measure .. several tips for you ..
      Use a consistent movement on the handle .. I like to bottom the throw lever fairly Hard.. Been using same measure since 1977 have not worn it out yet
      second at end of session remove all powder and put a dryer sheet in the hopper..About every LB used run a piece of the dryer sheet thru the measure Stops all the static .. You will get more consistent throws

Daniel
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 25
      • Overall: 28

I have used most of the measures on the market plus some that are no longer with us. For my money, the Lyman 55 is the best all round measure on the market. Some will work better with some powders but over all the 55 takes it.

Beagle333
      Participant
      • Bronze

Looks like it’s a good thing I got both and can try em side by side. This should be fun!

Uncle Grinch
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 18
      • Overall: 19

I used to use an old Redding oil reservoir dampening scale and went “uptown and high tech” in the late ’70’s when I bought a Lyman 55. It worked pretty good with my pistol powders, but not so much on stick rifle powders. I don’t use a progressive press, so speed loading is not my thing, hence my move to Lee dippers over 20 years ago.
      Life is now simple again.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Chuck I have both and they are Fine additions.
      Like others stated do your throw the same and you will be surprised at how consistent.
      The Lyman 55 has a knocker this will help settle the powder in the drum, you will also want to use the knocker when charging the case this will prevent bridging the charge which is powder being hung up inside the powder funnel. Using the 55 listen to the click clack noise make it the same everytime once you had set the volume in the drum.

Polishing the uniflow (inside the man body) will assist to a minor degree the baffles help a great bit. I have not tried the weights but see where they could help

Never store powder in the measure instead wipe the inside with a dryer sheet that has been mentioned before leave the dryer sheet in the measures( static will work against you)

On getting ready to set the measure up cycle several throws (of the powder you desire to use) through the clean measure this allows the coating on the powder to act as a lubricant prior to setting the volume to the desired weight this is regardless of type. It has been noted above about each have there magic powder the two that you are looking at is a great selection as one of them will throw the powder you wish to use.

Example is Bullseye powder my Lyman 55 will smoke my uniflow in consistency.
      The Uniflow will crunch and throw some stick powder better than the Lyman 55.

But you will always want to random sample the weight being thrown with the scale.
      Hope this helps.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

OK….so which one will throw flake powders like Red and Blue Dot uniformly?

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

the 55 has been the go to in all my loads in the red or blue dots which have been small charges
      The Uniflow is not far behind it at all.
      I have been told (because I don’t have the small drum) that if a small drum is installed in the Uniflow it is as good as the 55 maybe better. But seeing how I only have the large drum in mine I can’t say with a great deal of confidence to that statement.

Mike W1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 21

Had a #55 with the first reloading gear I ever purchased. Worked fine but I thought it was a pain in the rump to set. Bought a RCBS with the small chamber and some time later added the micrometer accessory. Never had any inclination to look for anything better. First thing I did to the stand was file the threads out of it and use a split lock ring on the bottom to fasten it. It’s quicker than spinning the measure around. Far as a baffle somewhere somebody suggested a funnel on top of the powder drum. Did that and shortened it a bit but really don’t remember why anymore but the funnel trick works great.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 81

Mike, I assume the Rayovac battery went into one of those shotshell loads?? 😮

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

My RCBS uniflow sits full of Red Dot set to 4.6 grains most of the time. If I am doing a 100 round batch of 9mm I will drop it down to 3 for that. But for less than that I get out or make a dipper.

I have always hand weighed rifle charges if you have a dipper that is close it is not such a long process. Get within 2 or 3 tenths of a grain and it is not hard to scoop up a smidge and trickle some in as you are watching the scale.

Not often I do large 100 round batch’s of rifle at at the same load level anyway.

I have a .357 mag case adjusted perfectly to throw 20 grains of IMR 4895 for my SKS. Almost everything else shoots Red Dot and I’m sitting on a nice stash of ammo for the SKS loaded into strippers and ready to go at a moments notice.

I long ago lost the cap for my measure, but a pop can with the top cut off works fine to keep it safe and free of dust, debris. When I see the powder level drop below the can tis time to refill.

Mike W1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 21

IllinoisCoyoteHunter;n2580 wrote: Mike, I assume the Rayovac battery went into one of those shotshell loads?? 😮

I’m not seeing the shotshells in the picture but the battery is probably out of my Dillon SDB low primer warning. Actually what I have near there is because I’m in the process of priming about 600 9mms.

gwpercle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 38

I have used a 55 for years and they will measure powders like Unique, notorious for poor metering, quite well . A little secrete is to adjust the slides to create a deep narrow cavity. Some make the mistake or trying to use the top slide only, this gets you a shallow wide cavity that does not do near as well as a narrow deep cavity. Less surface area for the rotor to cut.
      This applies to rifle powder also , especially of the stick / log variety like 3031.
      Next is a consistent technique. It doesn’t matter how many times you bump the handle up, or bump it down or the forced used…it must be consistent. I sat down and practiced, working on a consistent technique so that now I can drop consistent charges with any powder. Don’t be afraid to vary your technique with different types of powders, ball powders flow easily and don’t require as much bumping and settling as Unique. It just takes a 55 and some practice.
      Gary

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Reckon I need to shop for a 55 then.Not even had much success with the big flake powders with dippers either.The stuff just doesn’t seem to settle uniformly.Always figured it worked fine with larger charges like used in shotguns

Beagle333
      Participant
      • Bronze

I hope that at least one of the measures works well for me. I like my beam scale, but a measure would be much nicer and faster if it will be reliable. Now……. if I only had a machine that completely prepped my brass for me!!! 😉

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 77
      • Overall: 87

I’ve used a lot of powder measures, to include the RCBS chargemaster combo. I sold them all off except 2 of them. I kept a Lee Perfect Powder measure, and a Belding and Mull.

DaveInGA
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 44
      • Overall: 50

I don’t have a 55, but I have had 2 Uniflows for a long time. Both have the micrometer attached. One is mounted atop a case activated powder drop and is used on a progressive press. The other is set up for single stage reloading. It is mounted on a Hornady LnL bushing so once I’m done with priming, I can load up a batch of cartridges. Goes pretty quick that way vs. some others. Once done with the powder dispensing for small batches of rifle cartridges, I weight each charge and use a trickler as needed to bring each charge up to an exact weight on my beam scale.

I like both Uniflows used in this manner very much. But I have several brands of measures, each one purchased for a specific application. Many are used.

I think you got a great deal there and believe you’ll find with some experimentation, solid applications for both on your bench, likely with different types of powders.

Beagle333
      Participant
      • Bronze

I hope they work well. I’ll give reports on them when I get them and have them set up and operating. Right now…. it’s just that long wait on my check to get there and the measures to get back here.

I have also found and printed out the manuals for both the Uniflow and 55. I figure reading the directions might be a good way to start. 😎

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.