This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Butch Wax 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
     Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

what is everyone experience  with powder coat with light 125grs in this caliber?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I haven’t actually tried PC in the 357 yet, but I have no doubt it’ll work as advertised.

LenH 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 32
    • Overall: 36

Not with that light of bullet, but with 148 gr. swc with good results.

I’m still on the fence about powder coating. Not sure that is where I really want stay with it.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I think if you’re already set up, PC is as good as grease for standard pistol loads.

You figure grease is simple, messy, and gunks up your gun and makes a lot of smoke.

Figure PC is complicated, clean, pretty, and does a dam fine job. The time vs. what you get back is about tit for tat, so pick your poison.

Personally, I’m still on the fnece myself, but I think I’ll wind up sticking with grease. I don’t mind messy, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

reloader762 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 80
    • Overall: 95

Bullet weight doesn’t really matter, I PC some 90 gr. Lee RN bullets for my brother to shoot in his CZ-52 in 7.62 x 25 and they work fine.  I haven’t fully gone to PCing all my rifle and pistol bullets yet as I still find that regular old grease seems to produce better accuracy in some rifle loads,I still have plenty of experimenting to do before I settle on which bullets I PC and the ones I don’t.

Here are some of the bullets I PC on occasion. L to R NOE clone of Ray Thompson 358156,Lee 200 gr. SWC,Lee 160 gr. TL RN X 2,Lee 125 gr. RNFP,Lee 170 gr. RNFP,Lee 95 gr. .365 RN for the Mak.

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

Ben’s liquid lube user here, never bothered with PC. I just don’t see the point if I can get where I want with less fuss less work and less time.

But that is me, YMMV.

LenH 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 32
    • Overall: 36

Since I put that air cylinder on the Star and added a makeshift heater, lubing and sizing bullets is a bit of a breeze. I like the concept of powder coating and it is interesting and will keep experimenting when I have the time.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

Reason I mentioned the PC in that bore size and caliber is for indoor range use.  Smoke.. if the accuracy is close to greased then might be worth me looking at.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

It’s definitely worth looking at Sarge. PC is far more friendly to indoor ranges. Grease just smokes, no way around it.

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

I did PC some 135gr for the 9mm but just use HiTek now as it’s easier (for me) in bulk.  Same for 180gr 40SW.  PC just works fine.  So far light loads can take softer alloy but the top ones need hard.  I need to cast some to try a different baking technique, 1 hr @ ~250 then proper time @ 400F & W.D. for HiTek – to get the H2O out of the solvent.  Doesn’t make any difference for PC, bake for an hr @ 400F and W.D..

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

If the powder coat is a greaseless, then is it sensible to use a slick sided paper patch bullet with the powder coat??

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Kens, it’s done very often. There have been a number of molds cut just like that (slick sided and .001-.002 undersized) for that very reason, and I can’t blame them. If there’s one thing I have learned with cast bullet shooting it is: Never pass up an opportunity to gain more bearing surface/get more of the bullet in contact with the barrel!!!

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

~60 rnds of 9mm with HiTek, PC works the same.

Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 158
    • Overall: 180

Tried it. Very time consuming and was not more accurate either. The need for a drying rack. An oven dedicated just for bullets. Oven racks just for bullets. And so on.. Counter productive is the best way I can describe my experiences with it.

Same with LLA. Time consuming and inconvenient. I returned to the old Lyman 450 and size and lube anytime I choose. No deadly toxins from the painted stuff. No sticky stuff from the mule snot. Can sit up and lube/size at 3am if I feel like it and no mixing paint. Sloshing, drying, sloshing again, drying again. Baking. Sizing…. What a waste of time….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.