Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 129

My order of powder from Smoke arrived the other day and I finally had time to play with the new powder. I ordered the trial pack with clear, traffic orange, Carolina blue and John Deere green. I followed Smoke’s instructions using Ziplock #5 containers and an Oster convection toaster oven.

The four colors, bullets and BB’s ready to shake and stir

Shaken and stirred. Used a timer to swirl for 30 seconds and shake up and down for 30 seconds.

First batch ready to go in the oven. The clear is white when you put it on.

First batch ready to come out of the oven. Looking good.

Second batch ready to go in.

Second batch ready to come out.

Close up of the four colors with an uncoated bullet to the right for reference.

The blue, green and clear covered well . None of the orange covered well. Perhaps it needs more swirling and shaking.

Smash test. All were hit 10 times with a 3lb hammer.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

The powder coated bullets are much softer than the original water quenched bullets. So I decided to try re-heat treating them to see what if any difference it would make. Heated them to 450 degrees for 30 minutes and then dropped them into ice water. Gave them all the 3lb hammer treatment.

They are perhaps a little harder afterwards but not a lot. Not nearly as hard as they started out.

My old 4 dollar Goodwill toaster oven will get hotter than the new oven so I turned it wide open and put some more bullets in it. Apparently if you turn it all the way up it doesn’t ever turn the elements off. Was over 600 degrees when I opened the door. Puddles of lead in the bottom.

Nice bullet shaped casings in the basket.

The colored PC held its shape and form but the clear was rather crumbly. I’m not sure what to make of that.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Overall: 134

Lookin’ good. It’s neat how the pc held its shape and color after the bullet melted out.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

Excellent post. What is interesting is the decrease in hardness. This could benefit in hunting bullets and those used in defensive loads.

It makes me wonder if part of the reason these “softer” bullets have not shown exceptional accuracy at higher rifle velocities is that they deform more as pressures rise. Another thought is that part of the reason leading is reduced is not only the coating but a better seal between the bullet and barrel – especial for those who do not slug their barrels and shoot whatever they cast and size.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Cooking them in the oven basically anneals them and they go back to the hardness the alloy itself gives them. Even with the softer bullets I still don’t get any leading with PC. I was surprised by how much harder the water quenched bullet was.

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 92

I never would have thought they would soften that much!! I do see a limit on a PC cast bullet for sure in higher pressure. I have felt the ceiling for me in my rifles with PC is 2200 fps (that’s where my ability to anything good with cast tops out) and I don’t believe my shake and bake to help the uniformity factor needed for precise bullets. That is very interesting about the annealing.

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

great report and go0od looking bullets too !!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Your powders are a lot finer than the HF red I started out with. I never did get a good coat tumbling the HF. I gave up and put it in the tumbler for 20 minutes. With your powders and a minute of swirling and shaking and they came out great, except for the orange. Any ideas why it doesn’t cover as well? Do I need to do it a little differently?

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

any bright powder you will see the sharp edges thru the powder unless you shake longer and harder (getting the powder extra thick )..
      Think of trying to paint a black or dark wall with white, yellow or orange paint .. one coat will not completely cover over the darker base..
      same with the dark lead under a bright coat

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

PS the orange bullet pictured is more than covered enough to not get any leading

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Smoke4320;n4086 wrote: PS the orange bullet pictured is more than covered enough to not get any leading

I agree with you. I wasn’t worried about leading. Its just that the other colors covered completely but the orange didn’t.

Kevin S
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 58
      • Overall: 72

Amiaji did you do any BHN testing to see how much difference there was between the different baking procedures?

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

I don’t have any way to test the bhn directly but from smashing them with a hammer they are much softer coming out of the oven than they were going in. Water quenching them out of the oven hardens them up considerably but they are still softer than before the powder coating.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Even WD from the oven they will age harden some. How quickly the harden depends on the alloy. 308W is only PC & WD anymore. I did WD some in an alloy that gave ~36BHN, Bore sized they shot just fine.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.