This topic contains 27 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  oldblinddog 3 years ago.

• Author
     oldblinddog 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 110
    • Overall: 114

Maybe I’m wrong. I was told today that I couldn’t bring my .338-06 to the range because the bullet was too big. I asked if I could shoot my .30-06 with a 200 gr bullet. The answer was in the affirmative. But a .338-06 with 200 gr bullet is not allowed. A .308 Win is allowed but a .358 Win is not. A .300 Win mag is allowed. I was told that the RSO’s made this decision. I opined as to how they were ignorant [of ballistics]. That last part was cut off as the 20-something on the phone began to shout at me not to use foul language. I didn’t know that the word ignorant, meaning that they had no information, was “foul language”. But maybe I’m wrong.

Waksupi 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 106
    • Overall: 112

Idiots are widespread.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Find a different range or shoot what they allow. No sense arguing with idiots.
    The things they are worried about doing damage to their range are easily screened with a calculator, but they don’t trust the folks they have hired to to run the range to know about firearms or to do simple math on a daily basis……….and these dip weeds are standing behind you while you are shooting……..pass.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 503
    • Overall: 553
    • Gold

Wonder if those “RSOs” are related to the mods on CBF…?

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Doubtful. If they were, they would shoot from the range house at the targets posted by the patrons,and the folks on the line would be very very nervous. Might even go looking for a properly run shooting range.

Hypothetically speaking……….

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

That’s a shame. Those “people” probably wouldn’t know the difference between a 338-06 from a 30-06 if the cartridges and rifles weren’t stamped as such.

Doc Highwall 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 123
    • Overall: 131

Just show him the 30/06 stamped on the head of the case………..then tell him the barrel was rebored from 338 to 30 caliber………..he sounds like he might believe it.

oldblinddog 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I belong to two proper ranges but the nearest of the two is 3 hrs away.

oldblinddog 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

LOL! Yes! I keep the proper brass to avoid confusion on my part, however.

oldblinddog 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

This is me on most days:

Anonymous
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 7
    • Overall: 8

Yes, There seems to be The same group of stupids all over this country. . I was @ a Friends Range In NJ. . The sign said Max Caliber @ this Range is 50 cal. up to BMG. Range Officer told me I could not shoot My 58 cal 1861 springfield.
    Stupid, Stupid

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

oldblinddog;n6081 wrote: Maybe I’m wrong. I was told today that I couldn’t bring my .338-06 to the range because the bullet was too big. I asked if I could shoot my .30-06 with a 200 gr bullet. The answer was in the affirmative. But a .338-06 with 200 gr bullet is not allowed. A .308 Win is allowed but a .358 Win is not. A .300 Win mag is allowed. I was told that the RSO’s made this decision. I opined as to how they were ignorant [of ballistics]. That last part was cut off as the 20-something on the phone began to shout at me not to use foul language. I didn’t know that the word ignorant, meaning that they had no information, was “foul language”. But maybe I’m wrong.

Ignorant sounds foul when applied to you.

Does this range have an executive or chief RSO – or do these RSO report to a board of directors?
    I would have a talk with them maybe with some documentation about penetration of various ammunition
    – preferably in their backstop medium or something impressive like soft aluminum blocks
    – and explain that energy is a function of weight and speed combined
    so that your .338-’06 is less penetrating than your 300 Win Mag and ranges farther.

bullet maker 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 76
    • Overall: 88

The RSO’s are supposed to follow the SOP of the range. They are not supposed to make arbitrary rules. If there is no SOP, then they are supposed to use there good judgement(Hahah). Somebody is telling them what to do. I know this because I am a certified RSO.

oldblinddog 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

My impression is these are kids off the street with guns. I don’t believe there is any training beyond how to work the radio and the instruction not to shoot anyone.

As for having a talk with them, that is what I was trying to do. The return phone call was from the same kid that I had spoken to previously when I asked to speak to someone that could answer my questions. He couldn’t answer but said I would get a call back from someone that could.

chutesnreloads 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 161
    • Overall: 165

Another reminder of how blessed I am to NOT need to go to a range to shoot.With the exception of a very few folk to visit with…just can’t enjoy shooting at a range.If I were limited to shooting at a range…think I’d be doing more fishing…….oh wait…….don’t fish much either anymore because all the idiots around the water holes too

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

You know, rules about firearms make me laugh.
    In the case above with the OP, I would simply make a thin sleeve of blued metal stamped “Caliber: 30-06” that goes around the receiver, bring my ammo to the range in Remington coreloct 30-06 boxes, then go about my business.
    Obviously, the only person concerned with reality is the guy holding the rifle. If they’re smart enough to figure it out, they’re smart enough to know how dumb they are. Piece of cake.

Like I have said many times:

This is a free country. You have total freedom. You have the freedom of speech and the freedom to do what you want, but you can’t exercise both at the same time.
    So:
    Do what you want and either say nothing, or tell people exactly what they want to hear and let the rough edge drag.
    OR
    Exercise your freedom of speech and tell everybody what you’re doing in great detail and abide by the freedoms they feel comfortable with you having.

You don’t get both.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 859

God bless the empty far west . Once I escape from the 1 mile square town I can unplug the headers ,drift through dirt roads and shoot 2000 yd with a 5 in 38 if it makes me all warm and fuzzy . If I need more solitude I just go a little bit further if I want to not hear anything people sounds 5 miles more fixes that too then I can sing gospel, shoot my Howie ,let my dog run loose and denounce all of society while I eat my Van de Camps pork and beans and doped up cow parts drinking fortified wine out of the back of my hybrid Hummer warmed up on the burning tires. From the dog park cause it adsds that special twang. Of course I can do the same thing sans the Howie in my backyard and out side of someone whining about the smoke nobody would give a rats butt.

MTtimberline 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 37
    • Overall: 40

Like I have said many times:

This is a free country. You have total freedom. You have the freedom of speech and the freedom to do what you want, but you can’t exercise both at the same time.
    So:
    Do what you want and either say nothing, or tell people exactly what they want to hear and let the rough edge drag.
    OR
    Exercise your freedom of speech and tell everybody what you’re doing in great detail and abide by the freedoms they feel comfortable with you having.

You don’t get both.

This makes total sense and can be applied in so many areas of life. Mind if I use it if needed?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Go ahead. It’s better than the alternative.

oldblinddog 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I could very well have just said, “it’s a .30-06.” I asked the question more to satisfy my curiosity as to their reasoning behind the rule. I had been told on a different day about the .300 Win Mag (I don’t own one, it was the RSO’s example) is ok but not a .338-06. This time I made a phone call. What I found was that they don’t have any reasoning. But I was completely surprised when I was told that using the word ignorant was foul language. If advocates of the 2nd Amendment are that ignorant (on both counts) then I think there is more to worry about than what I shoot and where.

Smoke4320 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 140
    • Overall: 151

Oh… I smell Micro Aggressions 🙂 🙂

Bodean98 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 103
    • Overall: 111

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is ignorance can be cured!

oldblinddog 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Exactly…unless you shout down the person trying to educate you.

dragon813gt 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 79
    • Overall: 84

Smoke4320;n6174 wrote: Oh… I smell Micro Aggressions 🙂 🙂

So sad that this is what it’s come to in this country. Just remember to use the proper gender pronoun when referring to these RSOs. You don’t want to piss Ze off. And unfortunately I’m not making this up. if you really want to anger yourself search for “gender neutral pronouns”.

I’m glad that there are few caliber restrictions at the ranges I belong to. All of them seemed to have banned 50 BMGs as of late. This doesn’t bother me because everyone left if someone was shooting one. But I can see why the owner of one would be angered by the rule changes. In the case of the OP it seems that someone doesn’t understand ballistics at all.

Smoke4320 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 140
    • Overall: 151

So now I write Up on all my cases.. If they come by and ask what I am doing .. I look ’em square it the face and say “I’M shooting UP”

JPHolla 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 121

Sounds to me like they are asking for their steel plates (if they have them) to be introduced to small, innocuous pip-squeak bullets at about 4200fps. Or maybe a large thirty caliber magnum with bullets with pretty black paint on the tip.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 859

That’s not nice . Amusing bt not nice 🙂

oldblinddog 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

While looking for a new local range for when I don’t have the time to drive the three hours (one way) to the club I belong to, I ran across one that banned .50 BMG, AK’s, SKS’s, and Mosin’s all by name. The BMG I understand, but the others…???

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us