Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

I have a Lee 22-250 FL resizing die that is scratching my brass. How can I polish the inside of the die without damaging it? The die is clean so I know it is not something as simple as a grain of sand.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Wrap a split dowel with 400 grit 3M sandpaper and hone that puppy out with your deWalt. Then follow it with 600 grit. No problem.
      The die is case hardened steel, and it’s very difficult to remove any real material this way.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I’ll hit the Home Depot on the way home. Thanks Tim.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

For the record, this has been used by match shooters since way back. The FL sizing die is theoretically the most accurate if it matched your chamber perfectly in the body section -.002 and in the neck -.005. Match shooters would carefully hone their FL die till a twice fired case would be only .002 larger (sometimes less) than a FL sized piece. They accomplished this several ways, sometimes using the dowel, sometimes using a cerosafe casting and lapping compound. If the die is lapped too much on the body, the barrel can be honed out a little to get that perfect matching fit (obviously, the neck is the real bugger, and none of this means jack squat if you don’t have a matchgrade barrel and a concentric chamber to start with).

This is still the best way to accomplish perfectly fitting ammunition in my opinion, but it is the definition of labor intensive modification.
      If I ever get that far into it, I believe I will order a second reamer at the same time as the original and make my FL sizing die to spec out of 17-4 precipitation hardening steel. (this steel is very resistant to warpage in the heat treating process and is used extensively on precision measuring tools like calipers).

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I got 400 and 800, they were out of 600, actually I don’t think they even carry it. I should have gone to Lowes. I pulled the decapping pin and the scratches were clearly visible. It only took a minute or so with the 400 to clean it up. I finished up with the 800 and it looks good. Thanks again Tim.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Piece of cake.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

My fondness for old gear will often land me some less than pristine stuff. Many of the old 310 dies are scratched and scored by improper use by past owners. This technique has saved more than one die from its former owner’s abuse and given me fine results in loading. I do however, watch closely when honing these old dies since they’re thinner and of softer steel.

Tim, you’d get a kick outta what I use for my dowel. An end cut off from cedar arrow shafts I build for my old recurves. Guess that’s proper recycling huh?;)

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Dang right. That’s about perfect

gwpercle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 38

Cedar arrows and recurve bows, man that brings back some fond memories. I bought a Bear bow and a fletching tool and made all my own arrows for years.
      Fred Bear was the man as far as archery was concerned. Then compound bows took over…oh well.
      Gary

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

once done with the 800 grit tumble with corn cob or walnut to further refine the polish. This will leave a slight coating. oh and before I forget disassemble the dies before dumping into the tumbler.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I’ll give that a try. I’ve got a guy that is bringing my some dies with some rust on them. That is how I am going to clean them.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.