Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Having noticed that the big 45-70 bullets really eat into the lead supply I picked up a round ball mold.After smelting some roofing lead I cast up a supply of the RB’s with the clean melt.1st impression was they look tiny next to the big boys.No,they mic at .458 and weigh in at 145ish grains.I know…they’ll shrink a little.After reading and rereading the trapdoor sticky,I’m wanting to experiment some.Try a powder coat.See if they can shoot at least 50 yards with some degree of accuracy,maybe even push the velocity up a bit.These RB’s put plenty venison on the table out of muzzleloaders so…..why not see where it goes.Do sometimes see hogs while punching paper usually to their demise.Oh yeah….can shoot nearly 3 balls for same amount of lead as a bullet too

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

I played with multi-ball load in a H&R break open that was owned by a friend
      – it was a cap and ball pistol mold he found I think
      – anyway you could get several into the case and then we pored wax to keep everything sealed in Oregon’s wet weather
      – they took small game at about 20-30 yards just fine.
      Used Unique load info from a lyman book from the 50-60’s era as I recall.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Been loading for the 45-70 since 1960 with BP first and smokeless later. Have used .457″ RB now and then to turn a Sharps or Trapdoor into a small game shooter. Here’s a little trick I picked up along the way.

You can run a RB through your sizer using a flat top punch, and bump up the diameter of the RB. It will slightly bulge the waist of the bullet and flatten the ends. But you’ll have a fully sized round. You can coat it will the lube of your choice and load with one of the many pistol powders available. A light crimp keeps the ball in place and serves to improve ignition.
      *CAUTION * Be very cautious with some powders like 2400 and such that are position sensitive to avoid detonation. When in doubt, use a small amount of dacron or even a bit of toilet paper to hold the powder at the base within the case. Believe me there’s nothing like seeing a ball of orange flame the size of a beach ball in front of you and a report like a 75mm field gun to get your attention!

I do the above technique with my .38Spl, .30’06, .44Mag and others. With the slightly flattened rounds from my older Guide Gun, I get cloverleaf patterns at 50yds and around 3 to 4 inches at 100yds open sight.

Have fun and be aware of powder position.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Never even considered using more than one ball to a case.Hoping the powder coat will give just enough extra for a snug fit in the barrel.Not sure how long it’ll be before actual loading and testing but looking forward to it

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Just a thought and 1 that has stuck with me .
      A 45 cal ML suited for a PRB will take 90 gr of FFg. Which would be a 45-90-145 +- . My .454 of 1-20 come in at 141 and 140 from WW.
      I formed some 303 British to a 2.12 410 case with a 454 RB in a 410/Colts I used meat tray wads to take up space the space and support the ball in the over expanded mouths. 9.0 Unique ,a Colts load ,was plenty to flatten out the Coke bottle cases and the 25 yd clay powder bank made cherios out of the 1-20 balls I think similar loads would be fine in almost any 45-70 .

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Don’t overlook the “button bullets” used for gallery loads.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Got around to the 1st test load yesterday.What a day for it.Off and on thunderstorms with humidity so high couldn’t shoot more than one shot without my glasses fogging up.Saw a fairly large group of hogs…15-20 on the ride in just across the road from our place.Was unable to make a shot due to hogs being between me and the neighbors house.They were lucky this time.
      Got my balls powder coated with the super durable wet white and they look like little white gumballs.:pSeeing how easy I can make this so…two of the smallest Lee dippers gave me 5.6 grains of Bullseye.Seated the ball with finger pressure then a light push against the table top.No wads or fillers and no crimp.Chambering was a bit snug with the flare in the case scraping the wall.Only loaded 5 rounds just to see.
      Target at 50 yerds.1st shot was considerably low(not unexpected)and about 3″ right.2nd shot hit about 3″ left….of aim not the 1st shot.Aw shucks…6″ spread at 50?3rd 4th and 5th shots all hit about halfway between first two all within an inch of each other.Now I’m scratching my head.Obviously we need to load some more and see whats what.One thing for sure….the holes on the back side of the target board were impressive……BIG holes with lots of splintering.Well what did I expect from pure lead balls?
      About this time the grandkids showed up and we made lots of noise and a good time was had by all even in the rain which felt nice and cool until the sun popped out again

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

If you wish to try some “button boolits”, send me your snail-mail address. I have some cast up, but have not yet sized & lubed them.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks for the offer but for now I just want to get my balls sorted out

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

The US Army had a three ball “Guard Load” for the old Trapdoor Springfields. I’ve duplicated it with smokeless powder and it’s fun to shoot, although you’re not going to hit a prairie dog with it.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Well our varmints are a bit bigger than p-dogs :p

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

chutesnreloads;n7805 wrote: Thanks for the offer but for now I just want to get my balls sorted out

Wow. I ain’t gonna go there.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Got around to testing the same load as before…..Again 1st shot went 6″ from the others.To rehash,the 1st try gave 1st and 2nd shot flyers one left the other right.This time 1st shot went high.Not sure what is causing the 1st shot flyers… no shots been fired through this barrel since last test and not cleaned.Rest of the group went into 3.25″ at 50 yards.This is useable but of course I’d like better groups.The load is 5.6 grains Bullseye.Up the load,try a wad/filler? Still have plenty balls.If nothing else they’ll make excellent slingshot ammo

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.