This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Bodean98 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
     Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

Well I put ’em in the slow cooker – with a can of mushroom soup and package of Onion soup mix and a teaspoon of garlic
    and a can of milk and 2 cans of water. Turn it on high for 2 hours and then turn it on low for 5-8 hours until all is tender
    then serve on top of white rice. – Yum

What do you do?

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 124

Use them to catch Catfish then you got Somethin LOL
    Tony

Bodean98 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 103
    • Overall: 111

Breaded and deep fat fried!!!!!!

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

Fry the hearts go fishing with the gizzards and livers .

Sounds like a good recipe , used to do neck roasts that way .

farmerjim 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 25
    • Overall: 25

Another vote to use the gizzards for catfish bait. They are so tough that the catfish can’t get them off the hook.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

if you go fishing with livers, how do you keep them on the hook??

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Most of the time they have a skin on one side , I push out through that . I used to have a bunch of cheese hooks that took to wrapping nicely also . A treble hook with a spring wound on the shank . I used those where a firm cast was called for , straight hooks for drop and drift .

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

The reason you slow cook them is so they are cut with a spoon tender – Obviously I’m wasting my time with you catfishermen
    – Which if you have not tried WD40 on your bait your missing a bet

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

My folks ate a lot of all of that . I’ve back tracked to my young youth on several occasions and for the life of me can’t figure out the appeal of some of the stuff I remember asking for . Pimento loaf and deviled ham top the list . I never was a gizzard guy but I’ll tear up some hearts .
    ​​​​​

Bodean98 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 103
    • Overall: 111

In the days of my youth, my grandparents would have butchering day for the chickens. The giblets would be removed, breaded and fried, and a large platter of the little delicasies would be served for supper. Other times only one or two birds would be butchered and us children would hang around the skillet waiting for Granny to turn loose of the livers and gizzards. Grandad would really get POed if he didn’t get at least one of them!
    The only time they got used for catfish bait was if they suffered freezer burn from being too long in storage and that wasn’t very often.
    Harter, I know what you mean but I still have a huge fondness for head cheese or Suisse as the Germans call it. Grandparents used to butcher their own hogs as well and we made our own head cheese. That stuff was/is fabulous.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.