Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      doc1876
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 51
      • Overall: 61

Ok, so I was in the mood for a new pistol. I completed Illinois CCW course, and was interested in a smaller 1911. I had heard so many nightmares about Kimber, that even though they had what I wanted in looks and options, I was trying to steer from it. I had begun looking at the other actions available on the market, Striker fire being one, and was just not happy. I have always had to cock my firearms before making any type of noise, and the mere thought of changing after these many years was not setting well with me. My interests were in a concealed carry with a shortened butt stock for better concealment.
      My local gun shop had this one preowned on their shelves, and I had to have them pull it out. Felt good. Looked really good. Never heard of it. Told them that at that price I could buy a good Colt, which I have done many times in the past. I judge everything on the Colt Single Action. Everything. Just me. I had them put it back. I went home did a little research, and holy smokes! The things that they did to this piece, would cost a fortune to go to Wilson, or Brown.
      Went back the next day, haggled, whined, and finally gave in. I took it to their back range and tested it out. I was very happy with the results. It was as accurate as my model 80 1911, which I dearly love. And then I took it with me out of town, and did some preliminary runs with it.
      One handed she performs fantastically, and two handed is amazing. I read of so many 1911 horror stories, Stove piping, jamming, misfeed, not ejecting, and I have vowed to not have them. So if I get another 1911, it is going to be a good one, and I think that this is no exception. I have put some 100 rounds of full metal jacket, 50 rounds of hollow point, and 50 more of some hollow point that did not get reloaded so good (the hollow point got crushed, so Lee is making me a new seating die.) All fed and functioned without any issues at all.
      I will say that if you are in the position to need one of these, I will recommend it, and as always I believe that if you spend the money up front, you will not spend the heart aches and headaches later so I believe that this is a good setup for anyone man or woman wanting something similar.
      The only thing that I have issue with is the strong recoil spring, it is 22 lbs. My left hand has had many injuries, so racking the slide is an issue. Oh well, 1911s were meant to be carried cocked an locked anyway!

PERFORMANCE CENTER® MODEL SW1911
      Features
      • Performance Center action job
      • Throated barrel
      • Precision crowned muzzle
      • Polished feed ramp
      • Spherical barrel bushing
      • 30-Lines per inch checkering
      • Ambidextrous frame safety
      • Slide ported lighting cuts
      KU: 170344
      Model:PERFORMANCE CENTER® Model SW1911
      Caliber: .45 AUTO
      Capacity: 8+1
      Safety: Grip & Thumb
      Barrel Length: 4.25″ / 10.8 cm
      Overall Length: 8.0″
      Front Sight: Black Post
      Rear Sight: Fixed
      Action: Single Action
      Grip: G10 Custom Wood
      Weight: 29.6 oz / 839.1g
      Barrel Material:Stainless Steel
      Slide Material:Stainless Steel
      Frame Material:Scandium Alloy
      Slide Finish: Matte Stainless
      Frame Finish: Two-Tone
      Purpose:Competition Shooting, Concealed Carry, Home Protection, Personal Protection, State Compliance

if someone will help me share a photo here, I can do that.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Excellent choice. I personally endorse S&W 1911s as an excellent value for the money. I’ve run several of them and I’ve been thoroughly impressed with the craftsmanship of these firearms. The features you selected are excellent from top to bottom. The spherical bushing is a very good accuracy enhancement (I was installing Briley spherical bushings 15 years ago).
      You’ll love those lightening slots. Coupled with the proper recoil spring (which is a more important consideration with a less massive slide) you’ll find your slide dwell is drastically reduced and the pistol is “snappier” and more responsive.
      The bobbed tail is a compromise, but a well placed one for a carry gun (I have many a short with rat holes at 5:00 where the heal of my 1911 cut through the fabric when brushed against a hard surface).
      All things considered, it should be a very high quality firearm and a real pleasure to shoot.
      Congratulations!!!!

doc1876
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 51
      • Overall: 61

Thanks, Tim. I had not given the S&W a thought. I kept hearing about the Ruger, and I just really didn’t want a Ruger, so when I saw this, well bam! I fell in love with it.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

doc1876;n16073 wrote: Thanks, Tim. I had not given the S&W a thought. I kept hearing about the Ruger, and I just really didn’t want a Ruger, so when I saw this, well bam! I fell in love with it.

The Ruger is a workhorse 1911 and I will own one someday, but it can’t hang with the Smiff in quality, and it’s half the price of the base model. The Smith can benefit from some EDM cut internals, but the stock parts are awesome in their own right, and hopefully being a custom shop, one of those gunsmiths took the time to run a stone over the sear and hooks.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.