This topic contains 11 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Goodsteel 4 years ago.

• Author
     lar45 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 224
    • Overall: 245

Hi Guys, I’ve been playing around with slug loads in my 1887 and came to the realization that useing just a front bead wasn’t going to cut it for any distance.

I was trying some different loads when the front bead got launched into orbit, so that seemed like a good place to start.
    I searched around Brownells and came up with a shorty front ramp with fiber optic front sight. I drilled and tapped the hole that the front bead used to be in and mounted the ramp.

Next I ordered a Williams peep for the rear and tried some 2 part epoxy. It came off after 5 shots.

I was talking with Tim and he mentioned a peep that he had built from scratch and wondered if one would work for me. I gave him some measurements from my gun and he had this turned out in no time.

I dropped the gun by his shop and he cut a dovetail in the barrel and mounted the sight.

Thanks abunch, it works great 🙂

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

Glenn have you a chance to load those all brass cases I sent..
    Just curious to know how they work for you.

lar45 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Hello Mike. Man those are some great looking cases.

The slugs that I have all measure about .685″ and the ID of those brass cases are closer to .765″. A regular wad isn’t big enough to hold it tight.
    I might have to pick up some 11ga fiber wads and use some teflon tape to wrap up the slugs and make them fit. Then I’ll have to come up with some way to crimp them in place.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I think those brass cases are best served for loading shot. Any slug you use is going to be rattling around in there. Figure 12 gauge needs a projectile no larger than .740 so that’s .025 unaccounted for.
    Maybe I’m overthinking it, but I just can’t get the math to add up any old way I slice it.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Course on the other hand……..I seem to remember an awesome write up you did once on how to turn 50BMG cases into 12 gauge brass. I’ll bet the wall thickness would be just about perfect then.

lar45 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

That sounds like a great idea. I’ve got a couple of 20mm ammo cans full of 50bmg cases. The only problem is I don’t have a lathe anymore.
    But… I do know somebody with a lathe and if he were to have some down time… We could turn a bunch into 12ga brass and split them???

IllinoisCoyoteHunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 74
    • Overall: 81

I’d be curious on how to turn 50 BMG cases into 12 ga Brass. Please enlighten….

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Glenn, I’ll run the lathe, you run the camera. LOL!
    We need some brass stock for the rim though right?

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

Want some crimped blank cases to make 12 ga from ? I have a few ,40 maybe,no sense cutting up $2.50 ea cases if a guy has some otherwise unservicable brass.
    I’ll send them on me if you want them.

lar45 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Chuck the brass in the lathe and turn the rim off.
    Get a piece of round stock, drill a hole in the center to match what is left of the BMG case, then turn a bevel on the inside to match what was left of the BMG extractor groove.
    Part the end off so you have a piece that is just oversised to fit the BMG case.
    Two methods of ataching the rim. I soldered the new piece on. Others have turned and cut some fine threads to screw it on and locktite in place. For low pressure, I don’t see any problems with soldering the new rim on.
    Now put the case back in the lathe and turn off everything that is not the size and shape of a 12ga rim.
    Now for a primer… I soldered in a piece to fill the primer pocket, then drilled the center out to accept a 209 shotgun primer.
    If you are going to run high pressure or very heavy loads of slow powder, then stick with the BMG primers.
    You can aneal the case and firerform, then cut to length.
    I’m sure that I’ve missed a step, but that is the basic how to.

lar45 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I’ve also used 20mm brass to make 4 bore cases.
    The base of the 20mm brass is larger than a 4 bore chamber, so I chucked the brass case on a home made mandrel and turned the body down to fit. The stock rim only needed a little trimming to work.
    I made an insert and soldered in place for a 209 primer.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I remember your writeup years ago with Hubel. First rate stuff.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.