Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 129

This seemed like the best forum to put this in so here goes.

I am set up to load only 9 mm but I have a hankering to play around with a rifle. I was thinking of buying an AR15 but then I would have to buy a whole new reloading set-up. And something about shooting a 22 cal bullet just doesn’t seem right to me. So then I got to thinking about the 300 black out. I really like the idea of a 30 cal bullet going at sub-sonic velocity with a suppressor on it. So then I thought my 9 mm reloads are going around 1120 fps out of a 4 inch barrel. I would probably have to load them down to keep them sub sonic out of a 16 inch barrel.

I am not interested at this time in long range shooting. I had my days of shooting 1/2 inch groups back when I hunted a lot. Under 100 yards is fine with me. I just like to plink around and ring the steel. Also my wife shoots with me so anything I shoot she needs to be able to shoot as well.

So what do you guys think of the 9 mm carbines out there right now? I have done some searching on the internet and watched a few you-tube videos. So I am looking for some advice from you guys who have owned/shot some of these rifles.

I like the look of the Kel-Tek Sub 2000 but I haven’t yet held one so that may change. I have even considered the Hi Point 995. Or perhaps I need to spend a little more for a better rifle. I just don’t know.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 77
      • Overall: 87

The Colt and Thureon Defense are great guns. Mucho enjoyment from both and they may just surprise you at the 100 yard line. I can’t speak on the Kel-Tek or HI Point.

Fishman
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 35
      • Overall: 39

I have shot the kel-tec in .40 and it has a bit of recoil as it weighs something like 4 lbs. The folding in half feature is super cool and makes it easy to tote in a satchel or backpack. I would like one in 9mm and the price is very reasonable. A bonus is that you can buy them in different configurations to use the same mags as your pistol, and 30 Rd mags are available.

I own a hi point in 45 auto and it is a fun gun. It is limited to proprietary mags though, as the hi cap aftermarket mags aren’t very reliable from what I’ve heard. The sights are better than the kel-tec but it is a club of a gun. One other thing is that the butt is designed to collapse under recoil using a spring system to reduce felt recoil. All it does for me is scrape my face back and forth with each shot. Others have complained about it too.

My dad owns the Beretta carbine in 9mm and it is a cadillac. Priced less than ar 15 versions and uses Beretta mags. Very accurate and decent sights too. Of the three I have experience with, it is the best by far and easy to shoot well.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Like my Hipoint 4095.It is a lot heavier than it looks and it does kick more than I expected but its fun.Ugly as all get out but fun.Figured it’d be worth the price if could shoot groups at 50 yards as tight as my handgun groups at 25 yards.It does that and better.Sometimes I hunt hogs in the thick stuff.Wanted a quick handling quick follow up shot carbine for that.One the features I like best is where the sling studs are.Can rig it to carry “at the ready” and can use both hands manuvering through brush.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks for the replies guys.

Its good to hear if I go with the High Point or the Kel-Tec it wont be a waste of money. I will be looking at the Colt and others in that price range. I was wanting an AR so getting one in 9 mm might be the way to go.

Anyone else got anything good or bad to say?

farmerjim
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 25
      • Overall: 25

I like my Hi-Point 995TS. It shoots great. The drawback is the low Mag capacity. The aftermarket ones do not work well.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

I had a Kel-Tec. My gf had trouble drawing back the bolt so check that out. Mine was decently accurate but there are reports of problems with them. The AR in 5.56 is a heck of a better gun in every respect unless you want something that will easily shoot cast bullets. I do not understand why you need a whole new set up to reload for it unless you are reloading with a Square Deal, Star, etc.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

You guessed it. Dillon Square Deal B.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I started with an inexpensive (200$) Hipoint carbine in .40sw. Put a mid range red dot on it, loved it. Took the wife, at 20 feet she totally destroyed a 2″ black stick on target. All rounds in 2 inches, center totally gone. Turned to me, wow, that is fun. Bulllet goes right where the red dot is, do they make one that does not bump my shoulder so hard?
      The real tell was the grin that spread from ear to ear.

So now i am the owner of 3, 1 40, 2 9mm’s, thinking about the .45.

From a casting perspective, casting .40 or .45 acp bullets is loads easier than anything smaller.

You can reload them with inexpensive shotgun powder. (Red Dot fan here) This also significantly helps on expenses.

Pistol caliber carbines tend to shoot slower, makes it easier to cast, less touchy about things like lube and hardness of alloy.
      Pistol brass is not as expensive as rifle.

I have a variety of rifles that I do cast and load for, but not much has as much pure fun factor as those highpoint carbines.

Fishman
      Participant
      • Bronze

Ghosthawk nailed that response.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Ok you guys talked me into it. My next 4 days off I am going hunting for a Hi Point 995 TS. If I run across a good deal on the Kel-Tec I might pick one of those up as well.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Cabella’s has a 995 TS with iron sights on it for 269 and one with a red dot on it for 299. Should I get one with iron sights and put a red dot on it later or just go ahead and get it with the red dot already on it? The one with the red dot on doesn’t have iron sights.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=hi+point&x=10&y=6&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

There’s no way to loose with iron sights .

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Harter;n3674 wrote: There’s no way to loose with iron sights .

That’s what I was thinking. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I wasn’t impressed with the iron sights on my 4095.Part of that is eyes keep getting older.Put a cheap 4x mildot scope on it and it shoots a lot better for me

Fishman
      Participant
      • Bronze

Just shot the Beretta Storm yesterday with my dad and son. Dad had installed a small red dot and bought a couple 30 Rd mags. Lots of fun! I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the pistol -caliber specific rifles for plinking. The 9mm is a lot softer shooting than the .40 and .45’S I’ve shot.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

I finally found one. I didn’t think it would be that hard. This came home with me today.

Out of the box in all it’s glory. These are the standard accessories that come with it.

This one came with the pro pack which consists of 2 mags and a bracket that mounts them to the stock.

First shots right out of the box. 25 yards off of a makeshift rest. Cheap factory ammo. Not too bad.

After a few adjustments it is getting pretty close.

This is my first time using ghost rings sights. I kinda like em. Hopefully my next trip to the range I will have more time and can see what this rifle is capable of.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Well done!

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

stay away from the PMI 15 rd mags …nothing but headache and their lifetime warranty consists of blaming you ” nothing wrong with this mag” response

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

I think 3 ten round magazines will be enough for me. Besides there is a flier in the box that says, in big bold letters, use of Pro Mag high capacity magazines damages the loading ramp and voids the warranty.

gwpercle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 38

I would let my age and eye sight guide the sight choice.
      I’m over 60 and can only use red dots and maybe a receiver / peep type sight anymore . I would just get the red dot sighted model if it were a decent unit.
      I have several iron sighted handguns I can’t hit with any more , and getting a red dot mounted on them can be a pain. Plenty of Red Dots but the mounting systems are lacking. If I ever by another pistol it will be Red Dot ready.

Gary

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Agree with gwpercle, red dots are the older shooters friend.

The only thing they don’t do without spending lots of $$$ is magnify targets at longer ranges.

I am hoping to get out in the country this summer, pretty sure I could hit a thrown beer can with mine. Possibly a clay pigeon

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

I will probably put a red dot on it eventually. For now I’m kinda liking the factory sights.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Very cool!!!

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Never tried the red dots but this has worked for me.Cheap scope with “mil-dots”

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

I had a chance to go play with it again today. I am impressed with this little rifle. I only have the range set up for pistols shooting at about 13 yards, so Dad and I measured off 50 yards and 100 yards. Backed up to 50 yards and hit the 8″ plates 8 out of 10 times shooting offhand. So then went to 100 yards and hit them 8 out of 20 times braced off the side of a tree. Considering I have never been any good at shooting iron sights I was really surprised. I’m really liking the ghost ring sights.

Time to build a shooting bench and see what I can do with this thing. 😎

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.