Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      redriverhunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 47

I pan lubed some bullets yesterday and the lube groves did not get filled in as they should have. So I had thought what would happen if the bullets were warmer, when I pored the lube. I put the bullets in the oven for a few, they were warm enough to handle but not comfortably. The results were great all lube groves full plus some. The lube was white label Carnauba Blue.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I tried pan lubing a time or 2, but it seemed no matter what I did I was a sticky mess by the time I was done. If I had used a good bought lube like you did it might have come out better.

In the end I discovered “Ben’s Liquid Lube”  60% alox 40% Johnson’s One step floor wax (discontinued) And all my lube problems were solved.

2 light coats for pistol, 3 for rifle and I never looked back. I was lucky enough to find a few bottles locally, bought a couple from Amazon at a decent price. I just emptied my first bottle of One Step and have 5 waiting. Should last me for what I need to do.

Not shooting much these days.

Main thing is, does it work for you.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Pan lubing is an old method, and the most afordable one I know. When young, before I could afford a Lyman 450 lubri-sizer, I developed a technique of dipping a room temp bullet into melted wax. The wax was beeswax and Vasoline. Just enough Vasoline to keep it slightly soft. Heat it up. Dip bullets into the wax up to the lube grooves and then set off to cool on waxpaper. I sized with a Lyman sizing chamber in a 310 tong tool. And yes, before you ask, I’m that old! But as soon as I could afford a 450, I bought one!

The only time I use a Lyman sizing chamber now, and pan lube is when I’m feeling nostalgic. As to chasing across the country for liquid floor polish that’s been discontinued? Ahhhhh no. I don’t think so. However, I have used Minwax Paste Polishing Wax, melted down for dipping with superb results with bores looking like they’ve been polished. But still, its painfully slow and tedious. Pan lube has its place.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I’ve been around the block with all the methods of bullet lubing there are. You name it, and I’ve done 1000 bullets that way at least. My opinion is that the Lyman 4500 is the best way to put lube in the bullets. I just make sure the bullets are sized first so they don’t get warped. I swore off the Lyman for years because it damages rifle bullets that are being sized more than .002, but when I started using it to lube the bullets only AFTER they had been sized with a push through, I finally get to have perfectly straight bullets that are perfectly lubed in the lube groove ONLY.

The quality is impeccable.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

when using a lyman 4500, how do you keep the grease off the bevel base of a pistol bullet??

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Kens, I don’t worry about it. Once the bullet is seated in the brass it’s protected from dust and dirt. Also, I do not use bevel base bullet designs.

If I were to use them, then the Star gets the nod as the best option in that situation. However, I must admit I am predominately a rifleman, and as such, I almost never have to worry about that.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Returning to the topic, just a couple days ago I found a Lyman 310 sizing chamber in.452″ for sale. This is a rare occurrence these days and I pounced on it. Should be here soon. Though missing the punch, I’m not complaining as I have two that will suit my needs well.

I have a couple shoe polish tins with different lube in them for my dipping process. The beauty of this is any heat source can be used and bullets can be lubed and sized even in the field if necessary. This is similar to how I learned to reload with my great uncle back when Eisenhower was in the Whitehouse. He’d have a palmade tin with beeswax and tallow for lube and a leather bag with cast 454190’s in it. He’d have em sized and lubed, then he’d load with black powder using an Ideal 310. That’s how I learned to reload. I still use 310s for much of my loading as it just works for me. I’ve got presses but don’t always use em.

So most folks today that don’t have a bench mounted lubrisizer, will either pan lube or tumble lube, and sizing is with the Lee sizing devices. Others a Star or Lyman 4500 etc.  I don’t believe that there’s a wrong way to lube and size if it works.
      <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.