Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 77
      • Overall: 87

I know some are averse to cooking a steak on a stove, but MAN!!! In 2.5-3 minutes you have a juicy medium rare steak AND drippings to cook onions and mushrooms in.

How I do it:

Take a 16 oz steak out of the fridge and allow to come to room temp (1- 11/2 hours).
      Drizzle with olive oil on both sides of the steak. Rub it in.
      Add spices or seasoning of your choice. I use coarse ground black pepper and some hoity toity salt the Mrs. buys.

Side fixin’s (prepare ahead of time because the steak cooks fast!!):
      Half an onion, sliced
      Can of mushrooms or use fresh
      1/3-1/2 stick of butter
      Rice for me
      Salad

10 minutes before cooking steak: Start rice

Back to the steak:
      The steak should be up to room temp now. Grab that big ol’ cast iron skillet, set it on the stove, and set the eye to medium high. Let the skillet come to temp (HOT). Once hot, toss the steak in and set timer for 2.3-3 minutes. A 16 oz steak only needs 3 minutes per side for medium rare. After the first 3 minutes, flip the steak, reset the timer, and walk away. Once the timer beeps remove skillet from the hot eye, remove the the steak from skillet and put it on a plate. Add the butter to the hot pan and as it melts spoon some on the steak, but leave a good bit in the pan. Now cover the steak in foil and let rest for 10 minutes.

While steak is resting you cook the onions and mushrooms. All you do is scrape the scrapings off the pan bottom, and then toss the onions and mushrooms into the large skillet with left over butter and drippings. Move skillet back to a low heat eye and stir as needed. Cook until as tender as you prefer. Once done, remove from heat and dump onions/shrooms into a bowl.

Now that 10 minutes has passed, uncover the steak. From here you can transfer to a plate an eat whole, or transfer it to a cutting board to slice for sharing…

Dump the steak juice from the plate into your bowl of onions and shrooms and stir.

From here I get 2 scoops of white rice that I then slather with chili garlic paste. Add some greens with ranch dressing, and some steak slices. I keep my onions/shrooms separate and scoop some onto the slice I’m about to eat. So, spear onions/shrooms, spear steak, spear up some greens with ranch. Take a bite, chew, chew, swallow. Follow with a forkful of spicy rice followed by that finest nectar bequeathed to us by Adolph Coors. Oh, and I also have 2 pieces of dry white toast.

Enjoy!!!

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 110
      • Overall: 114

I ain’t sharing MY steak with you 😈

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

I don’t like to share my steak either, lol. I usually cook 2. One for me, and one for the Mrs. to split with the kids. The meal finishes nicely with a cup of coffee spiked with a shot of high proof whisky and an oatmeal cream pie.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Lets see, we have pan fried steak, whisky watered with coffee, and pie made from oatmeal.
      Good God man, you need to come visit so I can teach you the finer things!

Just got done eating a wonderful bowl of chili (comes with a box of cleanex if you know what I mean) while sipping on a tumbler of 1800 Tequila straight up.
      Earlier today, I had a half rack at the Smoke Shack with home fries and pinto beans(that got my sinuses running too)washed down with sweet tea.
      This morning, it was three eggs over easy sprinkled with Cajun seasoning, and small salad with blue cheese dressing.
      THAT’S fine eating my friend!!!!!!
      LOL!

Seriously, nothing wrong with what you describe. I’ve done it that way myself on occasion, but I dice the steak up and swirl it into the gravy. Angie handles the rice (shes a judo master at rice) and we serve up the juicy goodness over a bed of the white stuff. Not too shabby.
      Thanks for sharing!

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

Sheeooot, Tim. Come on down to Georgia and I’ll load you up with some real food. The kind where you need a nap after every meal, lol. Bring a hand fan for the gnats though.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

I learned the truth about non-grilled steaks the first time I ate at an Outback Steakhouse. Grilling does add something to steak, but it also masks or destroys other flavors, I feel. There’s a place for both.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.