• Author
      Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

I’ve used a dacron filler in thousands upon thousands of cartridges from .222 Rem up through the 45-110 since ’68. In the last 6 years I’ve even pressure tested a couple thousand rounds of various calibers with dacron fillers. When properly used there has never been any indication of anything catastrophic enough ” to blow your head off”. In a couple tests I have stuffed as much dacron in as possible and still eat the bullet. The results were no indication of disastrous psi’s.

According to the opinions exprezsed on another forum I surely should have “blown my head off” by now……..perhaps the sky is falling and we should tell the king………

Larry Gibson

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Well, I guess your ghost must be using your computer then. “Those that know it all” warned you of the extreme danger of using any fillers. You should have listed to them! RIP Larry.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

LOL, while I do not do it with every load I have used Dacron effectively with zero issues.

Maybe the sky is falling, or maybe they just are not smart enough to follow simple directions.

I know which I believe.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

Certain people just can’t resist an opportunity to demonstrate that they know the fact that adding something that takes up air space in a cartridge will raise pressure. They often tend to be the same ones who go around bragging that they have NEVER loaded anything without going 100% “by the book.” And then they complain that they can’t find a load for (insert gun, bullet, powder, etc. here).

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 82
      • Overall: 90

I have loaded and tried some 30-06 rounds with dacron over “X” brand powder (Red Dot I think). Although they shot fine and grouped fair enough for me, I still am spooked in doing so because it was/is new to me and I tend to ponder the warnings of the sky is falling crowd.
      When I shoot up the last few rounds I am switching to one of the 4895’s or some such powder that seems more satisfactory to most reloaders and maybe breathe a little easier when squeezing the trigger.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Dacron is often used with 4895 in the 30-06.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

Well, when I checked yesterday… your head was still on.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I found the thread in question at the old sight. While searching, I learned something else: “Acetone will remove bluing”.
      What can one say in the presence of such unbridled examples of brilliant thinking?

Fortunately, both instances were gently corrected by knowledgeable shooters.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

They been watching that commercial on TV about peoples heads blowing off. They also believe citric acid passivates brass.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

Lead-1

I don’t use or recommend a filler with any of the fast burning powders. I prefer to use a powder that ignites well and gives the performance level desired for the bullet weight used in any cartridge. Bullseye and Unique are my most used powders for such loads in the 22 Hornet up thru the 45-70 including the 375 H&H, especially when light weight cast bullets for the cartridge are used or when low velocities are wanted with medium to heavy for caliber weight bullets.

If using the slow pistol powders up through the fast rifle powders (2400 – RL7 for example) depends on the weight of the bullet. To keep velocity under the RPM Threshold with light to medium weight for caliber cast bullets a dacron filler is usually most beneficial to accuracy. With heavy for caliber bullets it’s a toss up and only testing will tell if the dacron filler is beneficial.

With the medium burning powders up thru the slow burners a dacron filler is almost always beneficial if the load density is less than 80%.

A dacron filler is that amount of dacron necessary to fill the space between the powder and the bullet base. A slight bit of compression is good. With medium and slow purning powders cramming and compacting dacron into the space usually just deteriorates accuracy is all. The psi is not raised to any significant level.

I do not recommend dacron be used as a wad, especially in larger capacity cases with the faster burning powders.

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Thanks for that excellent explanation. Solid, practical info right there.

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze

I haven’t loaded a lot of rifle rounds with cast bullets but played with some until they worked satisfactory. I did do some surfing to find out that I settled on this load at first but someday I want to do some more playing with 200 grain cast bullets.
      LEE 160g cast round nose bullet w/GC, tumbled in ALOX over 16 grains of Unique, CCI 200 primer and Remington brass.
      I don’t remember how much dacron I used without going to my garage to check my actual notes but I think a loose ball about the size of a marble was it.
      My main point is that I am one of the guys that if I hadn’t done something before or am new at it, I tend to heed warnings even if the person don’t actually don’t know themselves. I guess that I am overly cautious, heck I am one of the guys that leave acetone out of my Ed’s Red to keep from rubbing the finish off my wood.
      😮

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze

I just played with the cast in my rifle to say I’ve done it, I have more 30 cal jacketed bullets than I will be able to shoot. Hopefully my boys will divvy them up someday.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

The a movie line that fits . ” you are the dumbest smart kid I’ve ever seen” followed by a favorite of my dad “the smartest most educated people I know are some of the dumbest people I’ve ever met” .
      Personally I lean towards that guy has had all his smarts educated out.
      The above pretty much applies to the folks that know everything there is to know from the mainstream “safe straight and narrow ” book but have never explored the fringe , odds are they drive a chipped super duty 4×4 with a lift and mud terrain tire through the car was if they leave the safety of paved streets with curbs, gutters and sidewalks.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Wow Larry blew his head off that is terriable

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’ve used Darcon as well in certain loads without ill effects although I was cautious to prevent the wadding effect that Larry mentions.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

Sgt. Mike;n8389 wrote: Wow Larry blew his head off that is terriable

It was still on at the air base shooting club today. His eye for clay pigeons was a bit off at station 4, but other than that, his head was still securely attached.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

LOL I figured it was…

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

I haven’t shot much with a shotgun the last couple years and it sure showed, especially on station 4 shooting skeet today……:(……was a good time with good friends though….
      🙂

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Har! That’s what it’s all about!
      I’ve never spent much time with shotguns on moving targets, but a few months ago, a good friend and a locally famous skeet shooter agreed to show me the ropes. This feller is in his 70s and is just as kind and honest a fellow as you can imagine.
      I did pretty good for a first timer I guess. Station 4 was hard, but the one that really skunked me was station 7.
      I’m a decent shot, but I’m left eye dominant, and I can’t get on it fast enough on those close shots. I need to learn to shoot left handed, but it feels like wearing my shoes on the wrong feet.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Larry Gibson;n8395 wrote: I haven’t shot much with a shotgun the last couple years and it sure showed, especially on station 4 shooting skeet today……:(……was a good time with good friends though….
      🙂

Larry I know that feeling alllll tooo well when I took the 1100 out shooting skeet a while back. Know your pain

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

That whole switch hitting isn’t bad when you get a feel for it . . Blinds and slow pass shooting, when I have time to set up for the swing shooting right side is as easy as left . Faced with a snap from an unexpected flush it comes to the left side every time .

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.