Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I am very excited about my upcoming trip to Alaska with Bjornb. It’s sure to be the adventure of a lifetime.

I grew up with a great love of poetry, and the writings of Robert Service were like catnip to me when I was a young man. From the Iceworm Cocktail, to Sam McGee’s crematorium, the tails of the northern frontier soaked into my guts and the deeper parts of my mentality.

So it should come as no surprise that when I was invited to join Bjornb at his cabin on the Kenai River I jumped at the chance!

There is absolutely no part of life that I cherish as much as my curiosity, and I see this trip as a chance to answer many many questions I have had since I was young. I’ve always wondered what Alaska was like, and what a salmon looks like, and what the stars look like in that part of the world, and I’m finally going to get my chance. Best of all, I’m not going to be on a cruise ship seeing what everybody tells me to see. I’ll be sitting at a camp fire with a very good friend appreciating it on a much more basic level, and doing the things we love to do. Shooting lead bullets, burning powder and hauling in big fish.

I’m trying to get as much work out the door as possible. I leave in two weeks!!!!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

……and I’m looking very much forward to your visit. Salmon fishing should be peaking on the Kenai river while you’re here, and my little range is ready for some plinking. Welcome Tim!

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

Color me envious!!!!!!!!!!

That has been a dream of mine as well. My inspiration came more from Jack London stories I read as a kid. I have never been able to get everything in order to make it come to fruition. I would really like to moose hunt in Alaska.

Have a great trip and give us a detailed report complete with pictures upon your return!!

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Lucky Lucky Man!

Color me green with envy. Take and post lots of pics please.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Thank you for the well wishes friends!!!

If I have a signal on my cell phone, I’ll be posting pictures from camp. This is sure to be a fine time!!!

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

My wife and her cousin have planned a trip up there to visit the cousin’s daughter. They are leaving the 24th of July. I just found out they are staying at a place called Cooper Landing which looks to be on the Kenai river. Now I’m doubly envious!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

Cooper Landing is a small town that sits along the Kenai river on the Sterling Highway. I’ll have to pass through it twice when I go to pick up Tim in Anchorage. It’s especially known as a world class trout fishing area.

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

I have been here in Alaska since June 6th staying in Homer with a friend. We are leaving to go fishing in Seward in the morning, and packing the camper now. We will be fishing from the shore with friends for a couple of days.

Fishing out in the Kachemak Bay in a 24 foot boat when the wind gets 10-15 mph is not the most fun. The temperatures have been on the cold side also there has been a lot of rain and wind here during my stay.

I will be leaving to go back home on the 17th of July, and arrive home on the 18th.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I wish you guys the best of luck,

Be sure to send us lots of pics. !!!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Dang Doc. That’s too bad!!! I sure would have liked to meet you. I’m sure our paths will cross one day though.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

It must be the cold and solar baby effect , Alaska has just never called to me .
      The fishing and hunting are no doubt first rate . Of course the chance to go would be seized upon but it’s not a place of lust .

I think my last fishing trip in Baja may have driven that , when you find a 10# bass is bait a 16ft boat instantly feels really lacking in safety value . I feel kind of the same way about bears . Nothing like casting a line 30 ft from 4-600# of apex omnivore to give the ol’ adrenal glands a work out 🙂 .

I hope this is an excellent trip that lives up to and even exceeds your your dreams . It is a beautiful sliced of country …. I might even be a touch green but I think I will get over it .

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Have a wonderful trip

Mike

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well Harter, I’m actually not much of a fisherman, but the last time Bjorn and I hung out for a week it was nothing short of unforgettable, and I have no doubt this will be more of the same!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well, only 5 days left!!!!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.