Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      goody
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 92

I am very new to these AR things and my question is: What is the exact way to load one of these guns assuming you dare not make a sound? This has to do with in the context of lets say deer hunting.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

You could ride the charge handle down and use the FA to chamber the round. Most I know who use them just chamber a round and have the safety on, just like bird hunting. Now if on a guided hunt where they won’t allow that, you can get pretty quiet but not noiseless.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

Popper got it right. Loading an AR is not going to as quiet as a manually operated action.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

What about this:
      Lock the bolt back. At the moment of truth, use the bolt release to slam one in and then fire. With practice, I’ll bet you could get to where you could get very fast. It’s just like doing a reload. Works with the M1A anyways.
      Might be worth trying?

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks for the input. I will stop trying to load it totally quiet. I will leave it home when deer hunting as I have some bolt actions that fit the need.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

goody;n6522 wrote: Thanks for the input. I will stop trying to load it totally quiet. I will leave it home when deer hunting as I have some bolt actions that fit the need.

You’re rifle, you’re business, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with hunting with a bolt action.

But I’m very curios about you’re strange question.

When I hunt with a bolt action, once I’m in place and settled, I chamber a round and put the rifle on safe. When I hunt with a semi-auto, I chamber a round and put the rifle on safe.
      When the deer shows up, it’s the same regardless: It’s either safety off and boom or (with a lever action) hammer back and boom. What’s the difference? I don’t hear much difference in sound or motion between the safety on a bolt action, or a semi auto, or the hammer on a lever gun, and this “problem” makes no sense to me.

If you hunt with an empty chamber, I don’t see much difference from the deer’s perspective between you working the bolt on a rifle (which is a very slow, unnatural sound) and working the bolt on an AR (which is a very fast, unnatural sound).
      Either way seems like a very noisy way to bypass the safety on the firearm which was put there to eliminate this problem entirely.
      What gives?

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Some guided hunts you cannot have a round chambered until instructed to do so. If crawling though brush, trees, etc. I can see a reason for not chambering – safety. I would recommend an empty mag while moving, switch when set up to shoot, It’s not like you only have a couple seconds for a shot. I’ve clunked around in an elevated stand for several days watching deer, they don’t bolt at every ‘un-natural’ sound. They have eyes and noses too.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Yeah….and I don’t think I’ve EVER been in a stand with deer present they didn’t know I was in there.Having the stand around you does seem to make them less nervous though

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Actually I was in a stand watching for pigs at the feeder 100 yds away, BIGdoe snuck up under me. I watched it for maybe 5 min. before she walked off. I moved about quietly but did make some noise, squeaky stand and chair.. Like she was 15′ away, I was 10′ in the air and had to almost stick my head out the window to see her.. If I’d been looking for deer and had my 40SW with me, right behind the ears.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Seems like it’s hit or miss around here. If the deer come in all skittish, they’re going to find me, and if I shoot them they’ll be all gamey and tough. So, I don’t worry about it. I don’t exactly make a racket getting set up, but it’s not like I’m on pins and needles like I used to be either. I spit over the rail, I drop my soda can’s on the ground below, and basically chill out till the deer show up. Last year, I killed two deer that were standing over the blood trail of the one I had whacked a day or two previous. I didn’t move unless I lost sight of their eyes behind a tree etc etc, and I just concentrated on not going into cardiac arrest while they got close enough for a clear shot.
      Once they were about 20-30 yards away, I commenced to check off the grocery list.

Once, I was standing on the ground covering a ravine. Just leaning against a tree takin it easy. Next thing I know there’s a doe pushing through the trees and brush with her nose to the ground looking for munchings and crunchings. It was a bucks only hunt, so I just watched her as she got within about 5 yards of me. She hung out for a good 5-10 minutes so close I could have spit and hit her. I half expected her to raise her head and say “Hey Tim, what’s hap’nin?” LOL!
      Finally, she moseyed on her way, and she either never knew I was there, or she just didn’t give two cents about the fact that I was. Crazy.

Another time, I picked my way into a new area in the dark and picked I nice spot where I could cover the whole hillside and sat down to wait. It was cold and I was toasty from a pretty good hike up the hill, so I was comfortable. It was a good hour till light, and I had popped out of bed at 2:30AM and drove for an hour and a half to get to this place, so I decided to just lay back and give in and make a little deal with the sandman. I was out like Edison’s first attempt at a lightbulb.
      I think I was dreaming about ballistics tables or something when I awoke suddenly to the unmistakable sound of a deer blowing at me mere feet away. I don’t think I’ve ever woken up so fast in my life. I was asleep one second, and ready to do advanced calculus equations the next.
      I briefly recognized the fact that it was broad daylight as I cut my eyes to the right. There stood a fine deer about 10 feet away. My hand gripped my muzzle loader and I figured I could whip around and do a Josey Wales on the deer before it could blink, but instead, the deer turned and flew away in the blink of an eye (I’m not certain, but I’m pretty sure I saw that deer flip me the bird, and laugh as it pranced away.
      The best, and only thing to do when you’ve been so utterly busted is to stand up and see just how bad it is. It was bad. As I looked around, I became cognizant of two important details that escaped me during my midnight trek to this place:
      1. The place that I had picked to lay down and take a snooze was in fact, a very well worn deer trail, and the deer probably almost stepped on me before realizing I wasn’t supposed to be there.
      2. As I gazed down the hill and took stock of my surroundings, I realized that there were about 4 other gents who thought this would be a great place to hunt. Yep. Orange vests dotted the tree line all over the place, and I’m sure they all would have been pissed that the only deer to show up was too close to me to shoot at, if it weren’t for the fact that they were laughing too hard to hurl any insults my way. (all I can say is some days you da bug, and some days you da bumper.)

Point is, I really don’t give a dam if the deer hear me or not. Some of them will, and some of them won’t, but I’m putting a few in the freezer regardless.
      LOL!

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze

I hunt some extremely thick(grape vines-thorny vines) areas that I must get in quietly or stay out. It is within 50 yards of bedding area and the old fella uses this tight stuff to enter his bedding area. Posted land limits my hunting to this patch. It does not matter how early I get to this spot I can figure on jumping some deer at bedding area unless I am totally quiet on entry, with correct wind and family makes me promise to hunt in utmost safety when climbing stand so I wait to chamber a round till I am secure in stand. I have tried to load ar gun with utmost care but I don’t feel confident I can be noiseless with it. I don’t even like my ruger 1 because of the click on ejecter and I have it set light. My rem 700 or sav 110 work perfectly.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yeah that’s a tough one. The AR is the ideal firearm for hunting in an area such as you describe.
      However, any semi auto requires brisk loading of the cartridge. I don’t care if it’s a 1911, a Remington 11-87, or an AR-15. You have to slam those puppies shut in order to be sure they are in battery.
      So in your situation, when the safety on the rifle just isn’t safe enough, the bolt action is your only option.

Actually, I think I can top it with a hammerless double barrel shotgun. You can load that in complete silence and shut it without a click. If your shots are 50 yards and closer, we should talk about round ball loads! Plenty accurate enough for a 50 yard shot, and man what a hole! That might actually be the perfect firearm in your situation, because it’s silent, powerful, lightweight, safe, and you get two very fast shots. Not a bad way to close the deal.
      I would recommend you see about getting a deal on a Savage Fox. Great shotgun for the purpose. If you saw 1.5″ off the muzzle, you can run bore diameter round balls and cast them yourself.
      Last year I was given a Zabala 10 gauge SXS and I’ve fallen madly in love with it. With that shotgun under my arm, If a problem exists within 50 yards, it just doesn’t exist for long. Like the song writer penned once: “If the right one don’t getcha then the left one will”. LOL!

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Fact is you can ease (ride the charging handle) the bolt on the cartridge with a AR, just be sure to lightly tap the forward assist to seat the bolt. that is why it was designed to seat the bolt into the locking lugs thus seating the cartridge into the chamber. Now if your AR (A1 through A4 has this feature) does not have one there is a way which I cannot describe on here but involves “shotgunning” the upper and I don’t recommend it

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I had a whole sounder and a herd of red deer scatter at the sound of hammer fall on a 96′ Mauser . I’ve had ducks refuse to flush with a Lady Liberty presentation screaming @ them so ,I guess it only matters when it does.

I was able to “ease” the bolt down on an AR by using the operating handle and.forward assist

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze

I have played with the forward assist but am not comfortable(remember I am over 60 and self taught at this gun) with this feature.So I rely on what you can teach me over the internet. I have been very successful hunting in these type of spots relying on accuracy (shooting animal in head or neck) because I can not afford the deer to run. I lost the biggest buck I ever shot because I did not drop it in its tracks and it ran 50 yards and 2 guys ran up to it and shot it in the neck and said they killed it. I was right behind the deer because I had a fatal hit but the traveling was slow and they did not have a good look about themselves so I walked away with out arguing. That was when I decided to shoot for the head or neck. I only need a 2 inch hole in the thick stuff for me to be happy.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

There is a fancy charging handle that makes it like a side pull, should be much easier to ride home. Works like a regular one but ‘handle’ goes down both sides of the upper. Several handles made with BIG lever to hang on to. Use the FA with your thumb, push hard several times. My ARs don’t have FA anymore, when I single load during testing, I ride the handle all the way but lugs don’t lock. Then pull back an inch and release – lugs lock up. With the safety on, you will be surprised how ‘safe’ an AR is, especially with the heavy Mil. trigger. .

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.