Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

After 5 days in the field, I did not see a buck in western KS. My brother-in-law did no better. A nephew did get a doe somewhat north of Spearville. I walked (busting weeds) probably 3 miles each day in addition to time spent in the blind. I did get pheasant while scouting before the deer season opened. While I didn’t score, I did enjoy the time afield. The leaking boot on Tuesday morning when it snowed did throw some damper onto the hunt, but the hot tub melted it away. Hope you scored, but doubt you did better.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I did not go hunting this year, but I expected that would be the case. All my time is being devoted to keeping the family unit strong through the move, and to getting on top of my backlog.
      That’s OK though. I limited out last year, so I figure I used up all my good fortune points and the only reasonable thing to do is lay off for a season.
      Honestly though, the hunt is more about shaking things up and getting out of the mental rut that always happens over a hard summer of work. I always return refreshed whether I have meat over my shoulder or not (but it is nice to come back with my shirt tail).

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Went out to my pickup on Tuesday morning, a found sign that a herd of deer had been there.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I went and passed up several two and a half year old eight and ten pointers.
      I figure they are next years deer.

It is too much trouble to kill them if I am not going to mount the head .
      I no longer eat deer meat so ,I go just to get out in the outdoors.

I enjoyed watching bobcats and turkeys.

I am older now and don’t really care much about killing animals.
      My father got that way with age,and now I understand it.

I am basically a target shooter,and not much of a hunter anymore.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.