This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Goodsteel 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Its what’s for breakfast:

http://goodsteelforum.com/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/46282/j7ycg2433cmogm3wfgjmamfjr5tvr4d1.jpg

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 529
    • Overall: 585

So, ummm, what would a mauser bolt look like if a bubba was to jewel the bolt, THEN, nitre blue it??

With a blued reciever, and a bright extractor??

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Hey, ain’t that your pastor’s rifle?

BTW, great job on the blueing, and I really like the contrasting colors with the screw heads.

JPHolla 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 121

Love the nitre bluing on a Ludwig-Lowe. One of the most attractive bolt actions ever because of it. It’s almost a lost art.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

kens: Really glad to see you posting sir!!! The problem with nitre bluing moving parts is that it’s just like case color hardening. The finish is very very thin, and easily scratched, so just a couple cycles of the bolt would show bright marks everywhere the bolt touches the receiver. This is why, as a rule, nitre bluing and CCH are both confined to none moving, stationary parts.

Rattlesnake Charlie: That’s the pastors rifle to demonstrate a lot of nitre blued parts in action looking schnazzy, and the screws to the custom 22 I posted.

JPHolla: I dont quite understand your comment? The only “nitre blued” part on that rifle that I am aware of is the ejector spring, but it’s done that way as a matter of convenience more than anything else because nitre salts are used to read the temper of springs and the color is left in place as kind of an obvious expression of quality.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.