This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Goodsteel 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
     redriverhunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 22
    • Overall: 47

I currently hunt with an old Winchester pump action shot gun. I hunt dove and turkey with it, but I am wanting an auto loading shot gun. I have been looking at the Stoeger M 3500 any thoughts or opinions thanks rrh

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

I am a pump guy myself, I got started with Rem 870 Wingmasters. The good ones not the cheap ones.  I myself never saw the need for a semi auto shotgun for myself.  I shoot too fast to often as it is.

I have 3 870’s, a 20 ga cut down to fit me when I started. Stock is a little short now but it is still my prefered gun for in the woods, fast swinging and shotgun & Slugs deer hunting.  Have harvested many with it including one trophy 10 point. Next is a 12 ga special trap with extra high comb, rib, dual beeds on the rib, 30 inch barrel. This saw double duty as my duck/goose gun.  With a load of dueces this would dump a big canada goose clean at 50 yards if I did my part.

Last is a 16 ga, one of the earliest ones built. Plain barrel, no rib. This gun at a glance was used and used a lot, and loved, and cared for.  Maybe 60% of blueing remains. This was my grandmothers brothers gun. We met when I was 5, he was up visiting.

I was sulking because the sun was up and I wanted to fish. But no one else was up. And not long before I had walked off the dock while fighting a fish. So I was only allowed on the dock if an adult was present.

Uncle Orrin as I called him gently pried the reason for my sulk out of me.

Then quietly asked. “will I do?”  Well yeah, your old, your an adult. “Do you know where bob keeps the rods?” he asked? Well yeah, they are right here in the shed. This is my rod.  I point towards one of the gleaming Mitchell 300 reels and rod combo’s hanging high up. I think that is the rod you used last night.

We spent the next week constantly together. Quietly for the most part. Words are not needed a lot when the fishing is good.

For several years he would come up and spend a week or 2. They normally stopped in Michigan and would load up on bushels of peaches, cherry’s. There would be a big canning party.

And there would be lots of cool misty summer mornings where you could see dimples on the water from sunfish. And once and a while a bigger ring from a big bass.  Miss you Uncle Orrin, and thank you.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Awesome story Ghosthawk. Thanks for sharing.

To the OP, I have been circling the wagons for quite some time in the same direction as you. The older Stoager 2000 SA shotgun fits me like a glove, and I almost cannot miss with it. I love that shotgun, but they are harder to find than the new 3500 model.

I have invited several friends over to the shop to shoot some skeet and asked if they would bring their new 3500 guns over so I could get a feel for them.

After tossing shot with two of these guns, I can say I really really like them for the price point. Obviously, I like the Benelli Black Eagle II better, but if you think I’m going to drop $1700 on a scattergun, you’ve got another think coming!!!

The Stoeger M3500 seems like a very nice compromise and I would buy one in a heartbeat if I needed that sort of thing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us