This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kens 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 520
    • Overall: 574

I ordered an Allen Under Hammer action. This is not the style of the more common Hopkins & Allan sold by Numerich arms. This was made by a shooter and machinist Allen Foundry. After a few phone calls, I found it is sold out of stock and no current information for deliveries. Did find out that he moved his shop, is 85 years young, and nobody even knows if he is still with us. I found one on the west coast and dropped the coin, I’m glad I did. Mr. Allen was an accomplished target shooter and said he preferred a single trigger to a double set, thus this came into being. It appears to be lost wax casting and could be browned as is, all major mating surfaces come machined for basic use. I envision this as a HiWall knock off, and with some draw filing and surface cleaning up, it is a blank canvas to be blued or better yet engraved.

It looks similar to a Hi-Wall doesn’t it?

it comes apart with 2 screws, 1 is hidden.

Full cock position, it does have a half cock. Very nice trigger out of the box. The cap nipple screws straight into bottom of barrel, lock time and ignition on this is expected to be fast.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 304

Awesome Kens.  What cartridge are you planning built around?   Please fill us in on the details of your planned build..

Thanks for sharing.

Uber

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

its a muzzleloader. I planning on a part octagon, tapered round, with the wedding bands.

Im thinking hard of a rifled 20ga

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

Rifled 20 would indeed be interesting.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 776
    • Overall: 845

Nice . Looks like a solid place to build on .

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

thinking of this contour

thinking of this contour, 1″ octagon then tapered round, with wedding bands, 34″

and a Cherry wood stock set

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 93
    • Overall: 105

I found this action about two years ago. I wanted it really bad. I did all the searches on it to look at the finished rifles. There is one or two out there that look amazing. Only thang I didint like was the fornend carved out around the Niple. Just didint look right to me . This rifle in A heavy 45 would be awesome

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

You can build that as heavy a .45 as you want. You can use a 45-70 barrel blank and shoot conicals with it. You can go up as far as .62 caliber rifle or shotgun (20gauge)

Here is some the barrels I am sure would do well with soft cast rifle bullets from common molds

32-40  with .303 brit bullet or oversize .30

.40 cal with heavy 10mm pistol dia

45-70 barrel loading .45 pistol dia cast soft (or sabots)

.50 cal with .50 pistol boolit (or sabots)

Agreed the open face of the action gets dirty easy, thus the fore end serves to close off the front of the action, but, the underhammer and the trigger is one of the best of all the muzzle loader shooters.  Its just to simple of an action, thus it works. the trigger is the sear and the hammer is the tumbler. there is no side lock to be offside, and your sight picture is clear.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 776
    • Overall: 845

You missed no face spray and no distraction movement .

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Above I mentioned a .62cal rifle. (20ga.)

I found the local muzzleloading laws do not require minimum 20ga. as I originally thought. (deer hunting)

Since then, I barrelled this with a .32-40, 1″ full octagon, 1:12 twist, 34″ barrel blank. it a muzzleloader breeched to this action. I got a shallow groove grease bullet mold from NOE and it drops .315 soft. Currently waiting for range time to try it out. I got too many summer projects around the house to close up before September. I previously tried some .308 soft boolits paper patched. When I found a NOE grease groove mold @ .315″ I jumped on it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us