This topic contains 17 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Scharfschuetze 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
     Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

I was out and about this afternoon hitting the local gunshops looking at gun powder. Thinking that I actually did not have a good upland shotgun since my Belgium Browning A-5 Light twelve was stolen in 2000. And that this PCS to Texas dove hunting is possibly on the horizon.
    Low and behold what rears it’s head.
    A very good shape Remington 1100 Special Field (12 ga 2&3/4 only) at a reasonable price with layaway available.
    21″ bbl vent rib with dual beads, rem choke (has Modified choke installed and I have extra already on hand from a earlier Remington 870).
    Finish was in good shape stock finish and checkering still sharp, bluing and finish was also in good shape, considering this was produced between 1986-1990 (yes I know that the Special Field was introduced in 1983 the Rem choke was offered in 1986 though). This particular one appears to have spent way more time in the safe than the field which I plan to change.

While it was not in excellent shape these are not usually found for sale often, and when they do usually bring a premium. I have always liked these just never could afford one, they handle well because of the english stock, the shortened barrel, and (magwell) forehand. To say I am pleased is a understatement.

below is a photo from the web that is a very close to the shotgun I placed on lay a way today.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

Nice soft shooting semi – order a few extra O rings (go on magazine tube)

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Belay that Sarge. I’ve got a brand new pack of O-rings here. Once you pick her up, come by and you can pick out two of them while I drool over that shotgun. What a peach.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Tim may be a bit before I get her out…… but yeah Art the seal and o-ring is the first thing to look at as well as a detailed cleaning before shooting.
    LOL I’m almost afraid to put her in your hands Tim to play with she points well LOL…. (actually not but it sounded good, I’m sure you will like her)

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Main thing to do with those shotguns is to replace the gas piston.The new ones available from Brownells are just better made and they only cost $30 or so.
    The other thing is to take the trigger group out and find out if the RH shell keeper is still staked in place on the receiver. That would be very nice.
    Take the stock off there and make sure the mainspring guide tube is not rusting to the stock, or starting to. If it’s still clear, then oil it well or wipe it with RIG.
    Other than that, all that’s left is to just shoot the living poop out of her.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Yep, heard about those issues :p
    But, as I was saying earlier Tim I think you will like the handling with the english stock ( I know I do).
    I had one or two of them before, one was a rattle trap that, just shot everytime you pulled the trigger.
    But when ever I bought one it was new seal and gasket time cheap insurance, I never checked the shell keeper per se, but usually had the trigger group out before shooting.
    Hopefully she patterns well.

But yeah when I pick her up Ill drop by with it, figured I pick at you a bit earlier as I know you like shotguns.

side note still looking for my extra chokes hmmm somewhere I have place that green choke tube holder. I’ll find it before I get the Shotgun surely

DaveInGA 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 44
    • Overall: 50

Good looking shotgun. I’ve always had a sweet spot for those. Reblued and refinished a stock in oil for a guy years ago. Looked beautiful when done. Guy was ecstatic and I was secretly jealous it wasn’t my shotgun. His hadn’t be shot much, just stored in a bad environment and I was lucky to be able to get it polished for bluing without ruining any of the lettering.

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 124

Nice Shotgun
    I am a 1100 fan been shooting the same one for about 25 yrs its a magnum had a 30″ full when I bought it. I sent the barrel off had it shortened to 26″ and had true chokes installed enlarged the gas port and use it for everything from Doves to Ducks. Keep it clean and it will serve you well, I could never get use to the English stock (friend had one) then again I could never get use to the A5 either.
    Tony

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Shot the A5 for years loved the “humpback”. I’ll play with it but in the store it just felt right. I’ve had a 1100 or two so yeah familiar with them as well as the 870.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

I had an 1100 I shot it a couple of seasons ,a guy offered me $50 more than I paid and it was gon. I just never got the feel for it . The finish was nice ,the wrist was perfect, the fore end was right I even did the a the polish so it would run the 1 1/8 steel…. I never found the warmth.
    My Dad found an A5 mag that just feels like home no clue why 30 yr of luster maybe ,silvered reciever, made in Belgium no stock spring rattle I know it’s not the add on choke or the 30″ barrel that used to be a special field steel 32″, I prefer 26″. It was an old friend from the moment I picked it up.
    Probably has something to do with being raised on M12s and falling for a BPS .

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

seeing how the gun is in layaway and I have court ordered visitation (LMAO) ….

Broke her down at lunch today to clean and do a quick check on the gas system, the action tube was carbon coated slightly the piston looked in good servicable shape. The Barrel gas port was cleared and relivivly clean, now for the bad.
    …. Part needing replacement will be the O-ring and the Gas seal, I could probably run the gas seal for a bit just rather have it where there is no doubt.

Did not pull the buttstock yet I’ll wait until I finish paying for her.

The serial number Prefix is “P” on the Reciever which is from 1985-1989 ran the rest of the SN with Remington (1-800-243-9700 option 7) date of manufacture of this shotgun is 1986. The Suffix is “V” ( 12 ga, 2-3/4″)

The picture above is a stock photo not the actual gun. later on I’ll post the actual Gun photos

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Last Friday I picked her up, been hoarding a few shells. My wife decided to hit a estate sale she runs into a deal and a half on some 12 Gauge.
    She get me little over 300 shells for $2.00 per box of 25,
    Majority is the old Federal Paper hulled Champion Skeet loads ranging from 2-3/4 to 3 Dram load.
    Three boxes was Western and Winchester AA Trap loads in 8 and 7.5 shot, some Remington.

Which I had been stocking up on Remington Nitro 27 8 shot and some Remington Gun Club 7.5 price ranging from 5 something to 7 something a box.

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Good deal Sgt.
    Nice that she has a new home
    don’t know if you are going to do any reloading but my go to dove load was 2 3/4 drams Red Dot 1 1/8oz 7 1/2 shot AA wad
    Tony

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Menner;n3953 wrote: Good deal Sgt.
    Nice that she has a new home
    don’t know if you are going to do any reloading but my go to dove load was 2 3/4 drams Red Dot 1 1/8oz 7 1/2 shot AA wad
    Tony

Just got setup somewhat for loading shotshell.
    Only thing I’m lacking is Primers and shot.

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Still have a mec jr set up for 12 and one set up for 20 in the attic and all the charge bars, bottles, couple of 5ga buckets with Rem STS once fired hulls, have wads and primers and a 4lbs bottle of red dot the only thing keeping me from loading up a bunch of 12 and 20’s is shot.
    Don’t know what a bag of shot is now have not bought any in years
    Have fun with her
    Tony

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Menner;n4017 wrote: Still have a mec jr set up for 12 and one set up for 20 in the attic and all the charge bars, bottles, couple of 5ga buckets with Rem STS once fired hulls, have wads and primers and a 4lbs bottle of red dot the only thing keeping me from loading up a bunch of 12 and 20’s is shot.
    Don’t know what a bag of shot is now have not bought any in years
    Have fun with her
    Tony

Tony when you price it (shot) you’ll do do in yer pants, it’s now kinda pricey. The days of 10-15 dolla a bag are long gone figure twice that for reclaimed new is over 40.00 a bag.

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Talking to a friend yesterday he said he was in Gander Mtn couple weeks ago said 6 shot was $60 a bag. That is ridiculous
    Tony

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 190
    • Overall: 193

Nice score SGT Mike. A friend has that model in 20 Gauge and it’s just a flat killer on quail and pheasants.

“And that this PCS to Texas dove hunting is possibly on the horizon.”

When I was stationed at Fort Hood after VN, I enjoyed outstanding dove hunting on the base. Probably the best day in and day out shooting that I’ve ever had other than when stationed in South America.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.