Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

They say nessesity is the mother of invention, and I have found this to be true.
      The latest example is my Browning 1886. Excellent rifle, but the sights that came on it, look better if you never use them. LOL!
      I really wanted a peep sight on there, but the problem is that any offering out there would require me to drill and tap the receiver. Now quit your snickering, I know real well how to drill and tap a receiver. Perhaps this might help explain things:

Yeah, I don’t want to do that.

So, I went looking for a sight that mounted on the bolt itself (this is a replaceable part that is not engraved, nor gold plated). I could find nothing. Not a single option that would do this rifle justice.
      So, I tightened my belt and got to work designing a better option. I wanted windage and at least 15MOA elevation in a tight, neat little package that looks sexy.
      I made several designs and threw them out before landing on one.
      It’s as simple as can be, only three pieces, and it does everything I was hoping it would.
      Here’s what I came up with:

Not too shabby if I do say so myself!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

In order to adjust windage, I just drift the dovetail. In order to adjust elevation, I remove the aperture, manipulate the elevation post, and then screw the aperture back in to set the sight in place. The aperture itself keeps things tight. Cool huh?

Daniel
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 25
      • Overall: 28

Very interesting approach to the problem. Do you plan to refine and market the sight?

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Great, so you cut a dove tail in the bolt?
      Mike

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Mike, yes. I simply cut a standard 3/8X60 degree dovetail in the bolt. I’m installing one of these on a shotgun right now for Glenn Larson. I’ll post pictures.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Here it is. Glenn asked that I flatten the top of his reciever as well, so that was done as well.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

And here it is installed:

GL49
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 2
      • Overall: 2

Goodsteel,
      This will fit on a model 92, am I correct? I’ve got a couple of those that could really use this addition for my old eyes.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

It’s a tight fit GL49. I own a 92 that Felix’s family gave me after he passed, and I’m looking into putting one on that as well. I’ll let you know how it works!

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I am totally happy with the one on my 1887 lever action 12 ga. Super easy to zero in and now I can keep the 1 oz slugs on the target. You would be hard pressed to hurt it.
      I have it paired up with this on the front.

GL49
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 2
      • Overall: 2

I’ve got one “real Winchester” 92 and three made by Rossi. It appears your sight, if possible to install, may cover all or most of the hole left by the safety Rossi places on the top of the bolt. I wonder if it would be possible to match the underside of the sight to the curved top of the bolt, and use the existing hole for the safety as a mounting point. I’ve never had the safety toggle removed from the bolt, I don’t know if the hole could be tapped to be used for installation of the sight.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

This sight will definitely cover it.
      The hole cannot be used for the post. That would lose you any sort of windage adjustment from the rear.
      I cannot cut the sight to follow the curve of the bolt.
      We’ll see what I can do with mine.

Doc44
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 37

This looks like an alternative I would prefer for my m94 in 25-35

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Would help some issues with old eyes and iron sights and not only on lever guns

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

Very nice rifle, and very nicely done.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

Now that is nifty!!!

todd
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 38
      • Overall: 54

i don’t know what to say, so i’ll just quote…

dverna;n1116 wrote: Now that is nifty!!!

good idea!!!!

StrawHat
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 7
      • Overall: 10

Good looking work. I am still waiting for you to perfect a similar sight to mount on the bolt of a bolt action rifle.

Kevin

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 81

Very nice work Tim! I am assuming you made that from scratch? What type of steel was used?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I used 12L14 for the main body, and 4140 for the elevation post and aperture. All parts were flame blued.

kfarm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 8
      • Overall: 10

I gotta learn how to cut dovetails. I did dig out a Rossi 44 that I got right after they started putting that safety on the bolt and turned a plug to replace it. Gotta show my wife I’m paying for the lathe and mill. That sure would look good on the rifle.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

I like your peep site Tim. It is a really cool custom addition to your Browning.

But I have to ask the “Elephant in the Room” question: Why didn’t you install the tang site that is on the bench in your second photo?

I must be missing something. Please advise.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Same reason I didn’t install a Lyman receiver sight. Or a Williams. Or a Skinner.
      That’s a 1 of 3000 nickel plated, gold inlayed receiver, and I didn’t want to tap through the words (Browning Model 1886) on the tang, nor through the engraved scenery on the left side of the receiver.
      I looked high and low for a sight that would give me windage and 20MOA of elevation that mounted on the bolt itself (the bolt is just a stock part and can be replaced for a couple hundred $$$). I found nothing, so I pencil whipped the problem and came up with an excellent solution. You know what they say: Necessity is the mother of invention!!!!

I got to use this sight for the first time last weekend, and I love it. It works just as I had hoped it would.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Tim,
      Of course that makes perfect sense. Having the gun in front of me might have answered the question. It was obvious that you didn’t want to tap holes on the side of the receiver with all of that beautiful gold inlay of those whitetail bucks. I like your solution. You might consider patenting your peep site and making a small run for your clients. How about a designing bayonet lug mounted model that would lock into the front of a Leupold/Burris/Redfield one piece scope base?

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 31
      • Overall: 33

The Deluxe Model 71 Winchesters had a peep sight that was drilled and tapped into the top of the bolt. However I have no idea where to get one except possibly Ebay. I’m sure you’d pay a bunch for one.off Ebay as any vintage sight seems to bring a premium, and especially the rare ones..

I paid $125 for the last 66LA I bought for my Marlin 1895CB and the only reason I got it so cheap is because it was missing the Aperture. No biggy. I have a dozen or so more in a box in the shop.

The one before that which is on my 1894 CB cost me $150 ! but it was complete and in great shape.

I have seen them go for $250 .

In this case he didn’t want to cover up the engraving on the side of the receiver so the solution worked great. It also looks pretty good on there.

Randy

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.