Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

My son recently moved out of the house (finally), and I wasted no time in claiming a corner of the vacated bedroom for a new bench. I’m an urban dweller with a modest size house on a small lot, so for years I’ve been banished to a storage unit in a local warehouse complex for my casting and loading. Getting a corner for my reloading stuff, with air conditioning to boot, seemed like a slice of heaven.

I started with a frame of 4×4 Hemlock Fir:

A nice sheet of sanded 3/4″ sanded plywood was ripped lengthwise, the first piece screwed to the frame and the second piece glued down with Liquid Nails:

Finally I mounted presses and lube sizer:

Still lots of work left: shelving etc., but I’m happy with the start. I load 90% rifle ammo, so there’s no need for big progressive stuff. The little RCBS press is mounted in a crude copy of Patmarlin’s bracket, I slide it out when I need to use the Lee Turret press for handgun ammo. The Lee single stage is only used for resizing.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Now, take a wheelbarrow load of random screws, lube sticks, bullets, gas checks, calipers, batteries, powder granules, pens, markers, pencils, pads, reloading books, clamps, cleaning brushes, 10 different solvents, patches (new and used) and 15 different die body parts, and dump it all over that bench. Shove a clear space about 12″ wide to work in and I’d say you’re there. LOL!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

Give me 24 hours…..

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 115
      • Overall: 135

Looks great bjornb! Since we sold our house in July, I am smashed into a very small space in a very small garage at this apartment…..UGH! I miss my full size room more than you can imagine!!!! House shopping tomorrow…..let’s hope we are out of here soon!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

Hi Zman,
      good luck with the house hunting. You’ll forever have a place in cast bullet HV shooting history as the original seller of BERTHA!!
      Then: (on Zman’s truck tailgate)

Now: (As seen in Goodsteel’s shop a few weeks ago)

Same girl, different dress.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

I’m lucky. I live in rural Mississippi, so I have my own private 120 yard range soon to be opened up to 300 yards. I also have a wife that let’s me do as I want, so my reloading/gun room is a 2 story 12×24 building. I’m not trying to brag but I remember the days of trying to load in a small area, in town. I don’t miss it one bit.

Nice reloading bench, it looks very sturdy. I think you did well, and congrats on moving up to air conditioning. That’s a big step up.

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

bjornb;n1028 wrote: Hi Zman,
      good luck with the house hunting. You’ll forever have a place in cast bullet HV shooting history as the original seller of BERTHA!!
      Then: (on Zman’s truck tailgate)

Now: (As seen in Goodsteel’s shop a few weeks ago)

Same girl, different dress.

WOW, That’s impressive!!!!!! Definitely a different dress!

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Tim has it balanced pretty well Bjorn so far and she will only improve before getting there in So Fla ,,, she still is a sexy beast.

I like the Bench you have started at the house, Yes A/C is a blessing indeed compared to a storage shed in the Fla Summer….

BTW I’m soooo glad Bjorn bought Bertha from Zman when he posted that ole girl I was in lust and not enough funds purgatory I tell ya

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Balance is everything:

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

VERY COOL PIC!!!

wingspar
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 8
      • Overall: 8

I can only dream of having space to build a bench like that. For now, the press is C clamped to my workbench in my small unheated shop.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 81

Your bench looks great. Nice and sturdy and should last forever! Glad to hear you get to enjoy the AC while loading.

I wish my reloading room was that clean!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

Like I commented above: Give me 24 hours. That picture was taken moments before I started resizing a bucket of 45 Colt brass. Now the bench is a familiar mess!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 7
      • Overall: 8

looks like it’s going to be a Great Looking Room. All nice and new. just needs to be a little more Reloading Clutter.
      great work.

rockrat
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 23
      • Overall: 26

Tim, you forgot that he need brass, ammo boxes , defective bullets, shellholders, partial boxes of bullets spread all over the bench too!!:). That 12″ space is just about right.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

What I want to know is how bad that sorry janky Ruger Blackhawk shot today that I sold Bjorn for three times what it is worth cylinder falls out when spun fast…;)

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 124

Bjorn Nice looking Bench I recently reclaimed son’s Bedroom. so nice moving indoors Heat in the winter A/C in the summer dose life get any better?
      Tony

Str8shot426
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 12
      • Overall: 13

(Carpenter by trade)
      “You could park a truck on that bench!”
      Looks good!
      Jim

MTtimberline
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 37
      • Overall: 40

Goodsteel;n1019 wrote: Now, take a wheelbarrow load of random screws, lube sticks, bullets, gas checks, calipers, batteries, powder granules, pens, markers, pencils, pads, reloading books, clamps, cleaning brushes, 10 different solvents, patches (new and used) and 15 different die body parts, and dump it all over that bench. Shove a clear space about 12" wide to work in and I’d say you’re there. LOL!

Tim,
      Have you been to my house? Wife said you just described my bench. I swear “someday” I’ll build a new bench and everything will be organized. There are just so many other things that make higher on my to do list.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.