Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 95

Cast up about 300 bullets tonight using the new NOE 230 gr. 45 ACP mold my casting buddy picked up this week.  The mold came with the HP pins installed but it also has cup point as well as FN pins which I plan to cast up some bullet with later.  Took about ten pours to get the mold heated up but once I got things going I dropped bullets for a couple hours.  Probably a few in the batch that I will cull out.  I measured a couple set from each pot of lead cast and they all measured .453 on the money an weight 220 grs.  These bullets will be getting PC’ed

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Nice big hollow points there. I have a mold from MiHec that casts a similar hollow point, but it is of conventional lube groove design. Using an alloy of 50% pure lead and 50% range scrap it expands into a beautiful mushroom, nearly doubling in diameter. We shot it into one gallon milk jugs filled with water. I believe it stopped in the fourth one.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

Powder coated all the HP’s this morning did some in OD Green with a pinch of white and a few in Orange.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Looking forward to range reports. What are you going to shoot them out of? How many cavities is the mold? Aluminum or brass? Them dropping right at .453 is great. NOE makes excellent molds. I have a half a dozen or more.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

I will be shooting mine out of a Hi Point 45 ACP carbine,my brother and dad have one as well.  My best bud Andy who I reload,cast and shoot with often has a Sig and Kimber handgun.  I’m getting just over 1K fps. using a Lee 200 gr. SWC in the carbine which is an increase of about 90 fps. over the handgun with the same powders charge.

The mold is an Aluminum 2 cavity that came with hollow point,cup point and flat nose pins.  The HP’s drop at around 220 grs. from the mold.  I’ll be spending a lazy Sunday afternoon today running several hundred bullets through the sizer.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

“I’ll be spending a lazy Sunday afternoon today running several hundred bullets through the sizer.”

If they drop at .453, and are of TL design, you don’t need to size them. Unless the PC adds dramatically to the bullet diameter, just load and shoot. Only a significant increase in bullet diameter that precludes loaded rounds from chambering would present a problem.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

Got a chance to shoot some of the NOE HP’s I cast up and PC’ed a while back.  Had to make a slight elevation adjustment to compensate for the 200 gr. SWC I had my red dot sight set to.  After that I fired a couple mags to check for accuracy and function and all was fine.  Have some cup points around 300 cast up now to PC run some test loads as well.  Other than a few grains in weight there isn’t any difference.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

The size of the hollow point should be a hilarious thing on a jug-o-water !!!

reloader762
        Participant
        • Bronze

The size of the hollow point should be a hilarious thing on a jug-o-water !!!

Blew up a few the other day during the test shoot.  Pretty much split the thick plastic jug from top to bottom on both sides,the only thing holding it together was the bottom.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

Cast up a bunch of the same bullets with the cup point pins installed and PC’ed them today.

Some in the coating tub before placing on the baking sheet.

Some in Yellow/Green an OD Green

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Flying ashtrays right there!

Awesome pictorial my friend. I see you are using plastic beads to tumble on the powder. That’s brilliant!

Duly noted.

Can you provide details on the type of beads, where you got them etc etc etc?

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

They are nothing special,just cheap multi color neckless beads you find in any store that sells crafts or kids stuff.  You can get a life time supply for a couple bucks and if you want to use them with another color simply put them in a strainer basket wash the powder coat off,let dry and reuse them over and over.

I’ve heard Styrofoam balls work really well also.  Next time I by the local craft store I will pick up some and try them out as well.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

Recovered one of my HP’s today digging around in the berm that I had shot through a jug of water, looks like it expanded nicely.  Sure wish I could afford some of the ballistics gel to test these things out on.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.