Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Had a fellow come in the shop yesterday asking for help with a pistol that was giving him issues. It was shooting 12″ high at 15 yards with the rear sight pegged in the downward direction.
      He showed me the target and asked me if I could make it right.
      I measured the height of his group from the point he was aiming, did some trig and determined his front sight needed to be .100 higher.
      I took a piece of my 1/8″ spring stock from the rack and hacksawed off a piece about 3/4″ long, then used the milling machine to dress the tongue into it, and ramp angle, then rounded all the corners with the belt sander.
      I took it to the bench and stoned the sides of the tongue till it was a perfect fit in the slot on top of the barrel. Once pushed into it’s seat, I used stones to dress the profile to a fine finish. Then I tokk my 50LPI checkering file to it and dressed some fine checkering into the ramp. I offered to run the sight through with my next bluing run, but told him I could send him on his way imediately if we just cold blued it. He agreed that cold blue was sufficient, so I use that method to blacken the sight.
      Finally, I drilled the pin hole through and pinned the sight in place.
      He was very impressed and pleased.
      Here’s the result:

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Nice work

That’s odd my Dan Wesson has a hex in the front of the shroud to change front sights – what model was his?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Sorry Art, I didn’t notice and the pistol was not left with me, so I didn’t need to write it down. That is the snub nosed barrel though. Could be the longer ones are replaceable and the snuby is pinned in place. That pin was a murderous nightmare to get out BTW.

WVchuter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 5
      • Overall: 6

My 4″,6″ and 8″ barrels all have the sight with the set screw. It may be the short ones have pinned sights.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.