Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I noticed Ruger is offering the .44mag but put the slow twist in it.
      In what I would say is a handloaders rifle, they obviously aren’t interested in handloaders let alone bullet casters.

Of all the ones offered, the .35 Whelen is the best choice.
      I think the .358 Win would have sold more and been a better choice.

At $1200 a pop I think I will sit this one out, as I already have a .350 Rem Mag and don’t need a .35 Whelen.

http://ruger.com/products/no1DE/models.html

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

I saw it posted that the 44 mag is going to have a 1-20″ twist.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Doc Highwall;n9076 wrote: I saw it posted that the 44 mag is going to have a 1-20″ twist.

I hope you are right but that is not what is on Rugers website.

http://ruger.com/products/no1DE/specSheets/21301.html

Lipseys does have it listed as 1:20″

Since there are two different listings of information, I think I would want to see one of the rifles before I bought it.
      I would have absolutely no use for the slower twist rifle.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

WCM;n9077 wrote:

I hope you are right but that is not what is on Rugers website.

http://ruger.com/products/no1DE/specSheets/21301.html

Lipseys does have it listed as 1:20″

Since there are two different listings of information, I think I would want to see one of the rifles before I bought it.
      I would have absolutely no use for the slower twist rifle.

If Lipseys is listing it as a 1-20 it will have the 1-20 if you make sure that the dealer orders the Lipsey’s Special vs the normal .
      Just my 2 cents a quick call to Ruger would confirm a Lipsey vs normal production before dropping money and filling out the 4473.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

The only #1’s made now are Lipseys specials.That is why the conflicting information is confusing.
      I not sure if the phone personnel at Ruger is smart enough to figure it out.

I would be willing to bet it is the same old 1:38 twist.
      Old habits die hard in the gun manufacturing world.
      Even if they are bad habits..

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

WCM;n9085 wrote: The only #1’s made now are Lipseys specials.That is why the conflicting information is confusing.
      I not sure if the phone personnel at Ruger is smart enough to figure it out.

I would be willing to bet it is the same old 1:38 twist.
      Old habits die hard in the gun manufacturing world.
      Even if they are bad habits..

Yes just checked the Ruger site and like you said the slower twist.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I don’t need another slow twist .44 Magnum.
      I have my fathers old Marlin 336 that he bought in 1964 .
      He killed all his big deer it.

That rifle has such strong sentimental value to me, that I couldn’t bear to hunt with it after his passing.

I also have a Ruger .44mag Carbine that I first started hunting with when I was twelve years old.

If the #1 Ruger had a 1:20 twist then it would be an interesting rifle with 300 gr bullets..

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Doc Highwall;n9076 wrote: I saw it posted that the 44 mag is going to have a 1-20″ twist.

I called Ruger and the lady in customer service that I spoke with said it is indeed the 1:38

There will be a good many disappointed people that buy the gun on what Lipseys has posted ..

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I got to the bottom of this (I think).
      I called lipseys, and the rep told me they got the 1-20 twist directly from Ruger technical staff, it should be reliable, and that was not something Lipseys required specifically.

So then, I called Ruger, and the guy looked online at the spec, and told me it was 1-38. I told him I needed to be sure, and that somebody has it wrong and I need an answer because a lot of sales depend on it.
      He put me on hold for some minutes while he talked to the department that handles those decisions and knows whats actually being implemented on the line right now.

He came back and apologized for the clerical error on the Ruger website. He said the folks that wrote up the specs borrowed the spec from a different model of rifle that had a 1-38 twist rate, and unfortunately made a mistake.

I expressed my gratitude to him for setting this straight, and made him aware that the error must be corrected very quickly or it will cost them many many sales by people who know the limitations of a rifle that is twisted too slow.
      He said he would try to get right on that. We’ll see if they actually change the spec on the website, but for now, if I were in the market for a rifle in 44Mag, Id say the the Ruger #1 can be added to the short list of manufacturers who finally got it right!!!
      Wonders never cease.

I’m telling you, we’re dealing with a whole new Ruger. Over the past 5 years, they have been systematically eliminating every problem that I had with their products, and this is just the latest example.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I want one if it is the 1:20 twist.

I wish it had a heavier 22″ barrel, but I guess you can’t expect to have everything.

I am not big on the thin pipe stem barrels that Ruger uses on some of the #1’s

My favorite #1 barrel and weight is the Tropical.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

WCM;n9102 wrote: I guess you can’t expect to have everything.

Not unless you get me involved. I can make it anything you wish it was.
      How about color case hardened receiver/scope mount/rings and an octagon barrel blued so deep it looks like you can reach into it?
      Chamber it in saaaaaaaaay……..7X64 Brenneke?
      I guarantee you don’t find one of those on every gun rack…….

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Just looked at Ruger’s website. They list the #1 as only Lipsey’s specials, and the spec sheet for the .44 mag says twist is 1:20″ RH.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Rattlesnake Charlie;n9113 wrote: Just looked at Ruger’s website. They list the #1 as only Lipsey’s specials, and the spec sheet for the .44 mag says twist is 1:20″ RH.

Then Goodsteel’s phone call got them to change it.
      That is good, as I hate false advertising .

I ordered a Browning Highwall one time that was listed as 9lbs on the website.When it came it was a seven pound rifle.
      My dealer was mad because I didn’t want the rifle.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

With the 20″ twist it should be a dandy. That will stabilize quite nicely any bullet, cast or jacketed, that I would use. Especially it would with all my favorite revolver/Contender loads.

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

They should throw in a Lee 310 gr six cavity mold as a customer appreciation incentive……

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I have a brand new RCBS .44 cal 300 gr Gas check mold that I have never used.

Now to get a rifle,as I am sure they will go fast once Lipseys gets them in.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Given what we now know about this rifle, I would say it might be one of the finest cast bullet rifles commercially offered.

I say this simply because Ruger has stepped up their game on barrel quality dramatically over the past 5 years in their bolt action rifles, and I’m seeing out of the box accuracy that defies the negative reputation for accuracy Ruger has been cursed with.

I see many other big box companies that are stepping up their game as well.
      America has fallen back in love with the accurate rifle, and Savage demonstrated that whoever delivers the tight groups, gets the business. Ruger, and Remington are having to step it up in the accuracy dept. to stay competitive because people are no longer happy with a rifle that shoots larger than 1.5 MOA with hand loads or careful ammunition selection.

If this new philosophy has trickled into the #1 lineup, this rifle in 44 magnum could be one of the rifles people remember with fondness.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I wish my father were here to see it, as he considered the .44mag rifle the best brush rifle available for whitetail deer.
      He would have enjoyed this one.

I called my dealer and he has a running account with Lipseys. He said he would get one for me as soon as they become available.
      He got me the #1 .30/06 last year but it cost me $1200 .
      I guess that is the going rate on #1’s now as the suggested retail is $1500

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I wish it came with an octagon barrel.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Also just found a Saeco #432 .44 cal 265 gr GC mold I had forgotten I bough sometime in the past.
      http://www.midwayusa.com/product/582956/saeco-2-cavity-bullet-mold-432-44-special-44-remington-magnum-430-diameter-265-grain-flat-nose-gas-check

I have the molds , now all I need is the rifle.

airmanbasic
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 5
      • Overall: 5

Okay, y’all got me hooked. Haven’t bought a new in the box shoot-em-thang in years, But I’d really love this 44 #1 with the fast twist. How do you think it would shoot with my plinkin loads of 200 to 250 grain cast with modest charges of fast powder? Goodsteel, you’re a man after my own heart except you seem a lot smarter than me. Just one state over, too. Haven’t been this excited since my last free supply of range lead.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

airmanbasic;n9183 wrote: Okay, y’all got me hooked. Haven’t bought a new in the box shoot-em-thang in years, But I’d really love this 44 #1 with the fast twist. How do you think it would shoot with my plinkin loads of 200 to 250 grain cast with modest charges of fast powder? Goodsteel, you’re a man after my own heart except you seem a lot smarter than me. Just one state over, too. Haven’t been this excited since my last free supply of range lead.

I will turn 59 on Sept 6 , but I am still like a kid a Christmas when I look forward to a new gun.
      Especially if it is a Single Shot cast bullet shooter..

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

airmanbasic;n9183 wrote: Okay, y’all got me hooked. Haven’t bought a new in the box shoot-em-thang in years, But I’d really love this 44 #1 with the fast twist. How do you think it would shoot with my plinkin loads of 200 to 250 grain cast with modest charges of fast powder? Goodsteel, you’re a man after my own heart except you seem a lot smarter than me. Just one state over, too. Haven’t been this excited since my last free supply of range lead.

You aught to plan a visit. We are furnishing a spare room for out of town guests.
      Welcome to the forum!

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Perhaps I don’t really need a $1200 stopper gun for shooting 100 yd targets.
      It is an interesting gun none the least.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I would like to have one of the Ruger #1’s in .44mag
      I have to ask myself a question. How much time do I have left to work with more guns and what do I want to send time and money working with?

The one gun left that I would really like to own before I die is a long range custom rifle in 6.5 something another.
      I want a Stellar precision action and a Krieger barrel.

The project will cost ,so I best save my money toward that end.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.