Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Introducing the Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Press

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show…ine-Hand-Press

Randy’s post

I have tested it a bunch and the results are that it is superior to the Lee Hand press in all but one way. It isn’t going to be as cheap as the Lee Press.

However it will appeal to those who like nicer equipment and it has the big advantage of not needing 3 hands to operate.

It can be easily clamped to a table top, which makes any part of the reloading process other than F/L sizing much easier.

To Full Length Size a cartridge case you would use the tool like a “Thigh Master” or against your chest so you can have both arms opposing each other while you push them together. I have tested the amount of force required to F/L size a .30-06 case and it is “slightly less” than the Lee Press requires, so there is an improvement there. As stated above the press can be easily clamped to a table top or it will free stand so all other functions in the reloading cycle are much easier to do.

The Stroke is 3.750 so it will load just about anything.

Sizing cases like the .308 in the pics is a piece o cake!

Spent Primers are caught in a plastic tube under the Ram so they don’t go everywhere. Easily emptied. See C&H 444 press.

Priming would be done with a Ram Prime Die of some type. I have a Lyman which required a driver inserted into the shell holder.

Shell holder is a C&H Universal H Ram, and thus the Press uses standard Shell Holders for all functions.

Seating bullets in a charged case is done with the press sitting on a table or held free hand, but only one hand is needed to operate the handle so the other can be used to hold the bullet in place as the ram is raised. It is easiest to use while sitting on a table.

The tool is far superior to the Lee Tool in every way except price. I have not finalized that yet as I haven’t gotten the entire production cycle sussed out, but it is not going to be cheap. However it will be less than the older Huntington Compact Press.

There is a lot of money in those machined parts and the hardware needed to connect them together. However this tool will easily last a lifetime and having a tool made from machined aluminum and quality steels should appeal to quite a few buyers. Guide Rods are O1 Drill Rod, and all Aluminum is 6061 and black anodized with specialized options available at extra cost.

There will be some small differences in the production runs as I intend to use Stainless Steel for the Links for cosmetic reasons and there will be the BPM logo burned into the top plate so you’ll know who made it and where. Made in USA!

It weighs 3lbs 6 oz.

It is 10″ long by 4 3/8″ wide by @1 5/8″thick.

With the handles all the way open it measures 22 1/2″ wide.

Final product ready to ship/sell in the next two months or so.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 77
      • Overall: 87

If it’s made by Mr. Buchanan, then it’s made with quality and will be worth the asking price. Speaking of price…are there any preliminary numbers floating around?

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Not Yet – but the last I knew of RCBS/Huntington presses they were going for about 4 times the Lee hand press. I bought mine about 30 years ago and don’t remember my price way back then.

Quick look at competitors
      http://benchrest.com/hoodpress/hood_press.html

The capacity is limited to the .308 class case and under. When used for .308, it will accommodate the Redding Competition Bushing Neck Die, but will not allow the use of Redding’s Competition Seating Die (too long); however, the Wilson .308 Inline Seater can be used.

Lee’s hand press – requires lock breech bushings for each die
      http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html

$50 list price but you can find it cheaper…

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

Very cool. I’ll be contacting Randy to get in line for one.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

Artful- You gotta tell Randy to quit holding us hostage waiting on a price, LOL. I need one of these for my range future range van I plan on outfitting.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Randy says it’s going to be a go – still no price listed but he wants to run it like this…

I will have all of this together in the next few days and will post a thread in the “group buys” section. Just a few more minor details to iron out. and I want to test it some more.

Randy

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Not a totally new design, but looks like no flies on that one at all…

Very interested in the price point, as the design is rock solid .

The best part of the improved design that Randy has versus the HDS (Huntington Die Specailty) is that the Bolts (guides) do not extent past the base.
      An allows for clamping to a bench, without a actual measurement it appears that the handles are longer allower a better mechanical advantage than the HDS.

Looks like Randy really thought that one through, and came up with a winner

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

Does randy have an email address to order from?

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I asked Randy how it wants to handle it for those who no longer got to the Cast Boolit board – hopefully he will be along shortly to tell us how he wants you to communicate with him.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thank you!!

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

by the way lover your new avatar looks like a steak eater 😉

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I second!!!

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

only very small issue I see (and it maybe the pics only) it looks like the handles lay flat on the bench .. Might be a little difficult to quickly pick them up .. especially those with muscle/hand issues .

if they were raised in the ends even slightly it would make grabbing them easier

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Smoke: When adjusted correctly the handles will not flop, they will stay in whatever position you leave them in. Also if you leave the primer catcher on it will limit the down travel as well.

That’s Great to hear .. Not an issue for me but I know many that it would have been

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

Randy, Good to see you and congratulations on your press!

I’ll take one and have cash in hand. I’ll shoot you an email to the posted address with all my pertinent information, and I hope you sell a ton of these!!

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 31
      • Overall: 33

Dick: are you the “Love Life” from another place? I have added you to the list.

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze

OK today is Monday the 21st of March,2016. I ordered parts today for the first 25 units and if sales exceed that number I can increase it on the fly. I’ve got to start somewhere and this will be a substantial enough run to work any bugs out, so that’s where we’re at right now.

I am now taking orders and you may contact me at buchananprec@roadrunner.com the price is $165 + shipping which should be about $15.(USPS Flat Rate Box.) Your order is a commitment to buy and I need your Email and phone # to be able to contact you prior to delivery for shipping instructions etc.. Delivery should be within 6 weeks of today 3/21/16. When the product is ready for shipment I will send an invoice for payment with the total. I will ship as soon as payment is made by USPS MO, Credit Card or Paypal. Prefer MO or CC.

This is not like some of the Group Buys over on Castboolits where everybody signs up and waits a year or so for somebody to get off their butt and make the product.. The first 25 will be delivered on or before the stated time. I am a functioning Machine Shop Business and US Govt. Contractor and generally make my delivery dates.

Randy

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

W.R.Buchanan;n4660 wrote: Dick: are you the “Love Life” from another place? I have added you to the list.

Randy,

Yes, I am. I sent you an email to place my order and if possible would like SN 25 if it gets that high.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

No disrespect intended……I am curious and want to learn.

What is the advantage of a tool like this? Just trying to understand.

Thanks

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well, it is portable reloading press – so you can take your press to the range for working up loads. You can also do things like decap/resize in front of the TV with the family. Not to mention the ideal bug out bag tool, load it with powder, primers and mold (or Jwords) and you can load the same cases multiple times.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

I like that it can be clamped to a table if I want to bench mount it. I plan to use it for load work up at the range to verify those “good loads” the same day I shoot htem instead of having to go home, load them, and then try them at another time. I also plan to use it to de-prime brass while watching the tube. I can use this press out back on the picnic table while the kids play as well for chores like sizing brass for trimming.

Plus, I think it is cool and I enjoy supporting an American craftsman.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

I will take one. Will send an email later tonight.

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze

The run has been extended to 50 units because I already sold 32 in the last week. Deliveries starting May 2

You can contact me at buchananprec@roadrunner.com to place an order.

Dverna. Don: This is a high quality updated version of the now defunct Huntington Die Specialties Compact Portable Press. It is used for reloading away from home, or at home if your home isn’t big enough to have a full on Reloading Bench. It will do just about anything a conventional Reloading Press will do except It doesn’t take up a bunch of space and is easy to pack away in a tool bag. You can work up loads at the range, or if you live in a Motorhome you have a decent way of taking your hobby with you.

Randy

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Got my email invoice and paid by paypal
      – Unit #001 should be headed my way soon 😎

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Art do a review
      WR emailed me a while back with all the irons in the fire I can not afford another press and possibly get the other projects completed which is eating up all my disposable income.
      Im confident this will be a solid unit.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

As it’s a product improved of the Huntington/Decker W press (of which I own and did measurements for Randy) it should have more leverage and be a snap to use. I’ll see what Randy’s video looks like and maybe do a quick video so you can see the differences.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

FYI from the “other” board

I am assembling these as we go. I have ran into a couple of minor bugs to work out on the assembly but it is coming along. It is currently taking about 2 hours to fully assemble and package each one so I can only do a few a day.

Once I get the issue I’m having worked out the assembly should go much faster. At that point the shipments will go out faster.

Thanks for your support guys I really appreciate it.

Randy

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

#1 has arrived – Boxed extremely well – box within a box w/ foam peanuts.

Initial impressions
      – It’s very Pretty
      – nicely machined
      – smooth operation
      – Feels “Quality” tool all the way

It’s bigger than the Decker/RCBS/Huntington W press!
      10 in vs 8 5/8 inches tall – it’s taller
      1 1/2 in vs 1 5/8 inches wide – it’s thinner
      4 3/8 in vs 3 1/4 inches thick – It’s wider

Weight 886 g to 1336 g
      – it’s heavier
      – Oh, for those reading this in black and white – that’s 2lb 15 oz for the Buchanan

I like the way the shell hold is held in compared to the Decker’s hex screw system
      – you can change it with just your fingers.

Trying to figure a way to measure the force required to size a case to compare…

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well it has the leverage – I used my Lee Collet Die for 308 neck sizing and was trying Randy’s new press out and inadvertently pushed the necks on 4 cases down into the body – If something doesn’t feel right or you are exerting yourself, something is wrong.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Become real fond of the way it stands up on it’s own – nice feature compared to Huntington/Decker/RCBS W press

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

Yay!!!!!!

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Invoiced Saturday . Paid Monday. Arrived today .
      Looks like a well made loader.. Should last a lifetime with just a little care

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze

The first run of the BPM Hand Press is sold out and all the product has shipped as of 5/25/16.

Next run happening soon and watch for an article in Handloader Magazine.by Brian Pearce.

Thanks for everyone’s support!

Randy

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I want to wish Randy all the luck in the world with his new venture, and a personal and heartfelt thank you for giving cast bullet folk first dibs on this press.
      You’re a gentleman and a scholar Randy!

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

FYI from the other cast place

W.R.Buchanan wrote:

Today I’d like to make available a case that is commensurate with the quality of the tool.

I stumbled across it while looking thru the Sinclair Catalog, it is a Boyt Harness Company Pistol Rug made of heavy Canvas with a padded/quilted flannel interior, and it is a nice case and will keep your tool in good shape.

I realized my SBH Bisley was sitting in the safe in one. A quick trip to the safe and removal of the gun showed that the size of the case was a perfect fit.

A Call to Boyt Harness the next day got them coming and I am offering them to the people who have already purchased the Press for $35.00 plus shipping $10.00 total $45.00.

Here’s some pics of the case.

And you can contact me at buchananprec@roadrunner.com to purchase.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze

The Second Run will become available in a couple of weeks. I also have the Boyt Harness Cases for the tools now that can be purchased with the tool saving some shipping costs.

I will be directing everyone to my website coming soon.

Also if everyone would go to Youtube and type Buchanan Precision Machine to see the demo video of the tool in action. Please leave a comment.

Randy

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Loving Mine – done some 308 and 38 spl on it – now if someone will just turn down the outside temp.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

It is always nice to be able to load from the shooting bench.
      I want one .

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze

Still working on the Second Run as I had to make the Shell Holders this time because what I used before increased dramatically in price between my buys. The new ones will be made of Stainless so we’ll get rid of any possibility of rust on the tool. They should be ready soon and I will start releasing some for sale on the Website soon.

My Website is http://www.buchananprecisionmachine.com and if you already have one of these tools I’d appreciate it if you would go there and leave a Review of the tool.

I also have some other products on the site as well. If you are an AR shooter one of my Universal Slings might be a good thing for you to look at.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze

I have been running a “Group Buy” over at Castboolits, and would like to extend that 10% discount to members here as well.

When you go to the website buchananprecisionmachine.com just type in “Castboolits” in the coupon window on the second page and it will adjust the price. This offer is good until Jan 31 2017

Also,,, There is a good Review Article in the current Feb/Mar 2017 issue of Handloader Magazine on page 20. It gives Brian Pearce’s impressions of the tool which were very favorable.

Looking forward to selling a lot of these and you all need one. The average person here is going to be working up loads for his favorite gun at the range and this tool is the best way to do that that has ever come along.

Happy New Year!

Randy

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.