This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Larry Gibson 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 503
    • Overall: 553
    • Gold

Shortly after moving here (Lake Havasu City, AZ :cool:) I found a New 4 cavity Lyman 429360 mould gathering dust in an old gunshop.

Price was right as the sticker looked to be 20 years old and I got the new 4 cavity for less than a new 2 cavity costs today. Anyways I’d had a 429360 single cavity many years ago and it shot quite well in a S&W M28 I’d converted to 44 SPL. Let the mould go with the M28 when I traded it off. Anyways the new 4 cavity sat in my cabinet for the last 4+ years as other projects kept coming up. Had to cast some test bullets yesterday in a mould using COWW alloy to get dimensions. When I was done I added 2% tin to the pot (Lyman Mag20) and commenced casting with the new 429360. When the alloy got low I had a pile of bullets……:)

I had severely spoiled myself the last few years casting mostly with #2 alloy. I had forgot, to quote Tim, “how janky” COWW alloyed bullets look………:rolleyes:

Anyways, for use in medium range 44 magnum loads (1050 fps +/-) and 44-40 loads they certainly should be good to go. I didn’t WQ them so got to wait 10 days for “aging” before I size or load. The two drive bands mic a uniform .432 all around and seems uniform with all four cavities. They also weigh out pretty uniform at 243 gr. I will size them .430 and lube with BAC for use in my Ruger BHFT 50th and Colt Anaconda;

Will have to resize the .430 sized ones in a Lee sizer to .429 for use in My “Cheyenne pimp gun” (Ruger Old Model Vaquero) 44-40 so they’ll chamber.

Might just TL some as cast as the old 429360s I had shot well with Skeeter’s classic 44 SPL load in my old Hawes Western Marshal as the throats on it are .433……..Will post loads and results as I get them. Should be a good .44 bullet.

Larry Gibson

Anonymous
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 109
    • Overall: 143

Good looking bullets Larry. Noticed that you still haven’t changed those Pimp grips. What’s the dog say to that?

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

Have to put a bag over her head every time I take it out of the safe……..

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

LOL! Looks like an real keeper Larry. It’ll be interesting to see how they run. You’ll be lubing with 2500+ I assume?

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

BAC, they’re for rotaters…

Larry Gibson

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

BAC is hard to beat for anything less than 2,000 fps.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

BAC is what I would have chosen as well.
    Seems to be the very best for straight wall cartridges going less than 2000FPS like RC says.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

All my pistol bullets get BAC lubed with a couple exceptions which are Lee TL bullets. Several TLs get sized and lubed with BAC in a Lyman 450. Over the years I’ve ended up with four Lyman 450s. One has BAC, one has 2500+, one has Javelina and one has my BP lube. Those and LLA cover about 99.9999% of my bullet lube needs.

Larry Gibson

Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 158
    • Overall: 180

Been casting and loading that old Gordon Boser design for ages. Great shooter. Hope it works out as well for you in this 4 cavity as the old single you had. I’ll be interested in the loads you come up with. I’m old school with powder and lean towards the old standby from Alliant. Well, good luck with your run with this grand old bullet!

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

I’m partial to Bullseye, Unique and 2400 in .44s with cast bullets also. Since I plan on this being my mid range 44 magnum bullet Unique will get 1st shot (pun intended….:rolleyes:). Looking at testing 8, 8.5, 9 and 9.5 grs. If Unique works, and I’m expecting it will, then the search ends and the fun begins……

My CPG 44-40 likes the 240 Lee TL bullet and the sights are regulated to it using 8.5 gr Unique I will just try the 429360 over that load and see……..

Probably still use the 240 TL Lee in standard 44 SPL loads (5 gr Bullseye) as it isn’t broke and the Lee 6 cavity mould really cranks them out. My full bore 44 Magnum loads are with the RCBS 255 KT or the, mostly, the Lyman 429640HP Devastator. I use 2400 or Blue Dot under the KT and H110 under the Devastator. However, if the 429360 works well with Unique I may just try it under 20 – 22 gr 2400……..probably cast it a bit harder or WQ for that though……

Larry Gibson

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.