Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

I just picked up a 722 that needs the stock refinished. What is a good stripper to get the old factory finish off?

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I like the citrus based strippers. Still not easy on hands but easier on nose and cleanup in warm soapy water for hands, tools, etc.

The one I use is called simply Citristrip 10$ a quart at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Citri-Strip-Q…/dp/B000QFCP1G

I have had several people say that you should not use steel wool on a stock because you can get a rust streak.
      But I have had very good luck using a new 0000 steel wool pad on a stripped gunstock for removing finish. Then wash it when done, air dry and sand until your happy.

Green scrubby pad would probably work about as well.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

WOOOOHHHHOOOO 722
      ok that over. Because it should have been tungoil/BLO orginally yes the citrus base cleaner will work.
      I have heard easyoff and a dishwasher will work well, never did that one I think the wife would beat me if I did.
      I lean toward what GhostHawk advises as being the best method

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I have used the citri strip before and the easy off (not in the dishwasher though). The citri strip worked great on some painted AK74 mags and the easy off was used on a bunch of M14 stocks. I think I’ll try the stripper first and see how it works.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I use exactly what ghost hawk recommends. Good stuff.
      Its rare that I need to strip something as I usually sand through the original finish to bare wood, but there are times when it’s nesissary and the citrustrip works very well.
      Im not one for dousing a stock with water though. I simply wet a metal scouring pad and scrape the stuff off. Once it dries, sanding is still required, but at least I didn’t waterlog an expensive stock.

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

I got some stuff from Sherwin Williams, made to strip aircraft and boats. It will even take off the Weatherby finish!

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I tested a small area on the stock with acetone last night and it removed the finish. Would this method harm the wood in any way?

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 92

In the past I used a pieces of broken thick glass but you must take care of the grain. Since introduced to the liquid removers I got lazy real fast and like them now.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

timspawn;n8682 wrote: I tested a small area on the stock with acetone last night and it removed the finish. Would this method harm the wood in any way?

If it works, go for it. The problem with some finish removers, especially easy off, is that the chemicals can attack the molecular structure of the wood, weakening it. Wood is nothing more than a chain of sugar molecules embedded in a natural polymer matrix. Attacking this structure chemically, particularly with lye based products such as most oven cleaner, should give one pause on a nice stock. On some SKS or Mosin stock, use oven cleaner to heart’s delight. Tim’s method of sanding through is best, but it is time consuming and can use up a bunch of sand paper.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

The citri strip worked great. I used odorless mineral spirits to clean off the stripper, then wiped it down with acetone. I went over it with 000 steel wool then acetone again. I don’t want the stock to look new so I am not removing any of the little dents or dings.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

This is three coats of BLO.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.