This topic contains 24 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Milkman 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author
     Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

While I have the Remington 722 in 6mm Remington 1-12 twist need to add some more varmint rifles to the battery.
    Now, that I’m sorta being forced into retirement maybe I need to travel to P-dog territory.
    I have been eyeballing a 22-250 locally. but the Remington could stand a new barrel. A 5.56 or 6×45 upper for the Grendel lower could be a cheaper alternative. yup some shopping around is in order.

WCM 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 368
    • Overall: 398

I like the .204 Ruger.
    I have found IMR 3031 to be the most accurate in my rifle with a 35 gr Berger flat base bullet.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

.204 ruger hmm no experience with that caliber. will look into it heard others brag on it as well Thank you

WCM, not to discount your advice, what I like about the 6mm family is the price point of the 6mm bullet selection. The only draw back for the 6mm Remington is brass availability. Talking to P- Dog hunters most advise to have a couple of rifles available because if you get into a large population you can literally burn up a rifle quickly. As it is just shoot one right after the other. While I have not been P- Dog hunting looking at the animals size and distances that could be involved. yeah I think this would be right down my alley. but at the end of the day they are rodents so cheap bullets are needed because really how much do you want to spend to shoot a rat. which is why mentioned the 6×45 cheap bullets and a brass availability that is unreal. So now to check out .20 caliber bullet retail prices as the case is shared and could be quite the ticket.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

well just swung over to midway usa checked the .204 bullets on par with the 6mm prices wow.

WCM 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

It is just a .222Rem Mag necked down to .20 cal.
    I like it better than the .22-250 for small varmints.

WCM 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Yeah, especially the Berger bullets, and those are what my rifle likes.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

WCM yeah I just checked the cartridge out yup 222 Rem Mag parent case. Thinking of cheap available components the .20 Tactical is same same except the parent case is the 223 (5.56mm) and just a tad slower. Hmmm both warrant some serious consideration for that task.

added later
    Just thinking of just the AR platform I see several making the 204 Ruger barrels but only select ones for the 20 tactical. The 204 ruger may just get the nod for that application, after all I could just convert all the 5.56 bras I have to a 6×45 upper. Ballistics is looking good on paper so far on the 204 ruger

CA Dude 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 11
    • Overall: 12

Mike,

I have shot P-dogs with 22 Hornet, 221 Remington, 223 Remington, 219 Wasp, 219 Zipper Improved (my longest hit 615 yards), 243 Rock Chucker, 257 Rob Ack Imp, 25-06, 270 Win and one even with a 38 Super. Hard to say which one was best. I know the 270 wasn’t. I’m looking forward to using my 6XC; hopefully this year. I think the 6mm family is the way to go. The 6×45 would be a great round.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

CA Dude;n13985 wrote: Mike,

I have shot P-dogs with 22 Hornet, 221 Remington, 223 Remington, 219 Wasp, 219 Zipper Improved (my longest hit 615 yards), 243 Rock Chucker, 257 Rob Ack Imp, 25-06, 270 Win and one even with a 38 Super. Hard to say which one was best. I know the 270 wasn’t. I’m looking forward to using my 6XC; hopefully this year. I think the 6mm family is the way to go. The 6×45 would be a great round.

Ed,
    What WCM recommended might be good option in a AR platform, but the 6×45 is on the list for the AR as a definite. I was actually thinking of multiple dedicated uppers the only issue with the 6x45mm that I have seen so far is my preferred twist of 1-12. But there is a custom smith that Shilen recommended that does uppers in the 1-12 twist.
    Besides our conversations at the office is what has sparked my interest in shooting these critters.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Ed that was one (6×45) in the AR platform that I was going to do for sure. The .204 is intriguing too

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 124

Sgt
    I have a 204 Ruger in a 700 SPS use 32 gr v-max ballistic tip w/ 26.5 gr AA2015 it will shoot 3/4″ – 1″ 5 shot groups at 200yrds off a bipod everyday 3850 fps
    I have killed varmints out to 350 yds with this setup
    I really like my 204
    Tony

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

I have an old Savage 340 in 222 , hokiest stamped everything rifle in the stash . I took it out yesterday with some 62gr NOE 225-55 FP over 18.0gr of H322 . What a joy to shoot it shoots an inch all day nil recoil and 2670fps over the Chrony . The bullets out at 200yd offer a satisfying pop on a solid rock hit and begin to breakup through medium card board at 50 yd . No hold overs even with the cast to 200.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

If I’ve learned anything its that you shoot what’s easy to get ammo for. Happy is the man who puts his money in the rifle that is chambered for cheap ammunition.
    In that spirit, my first choice would be the .223. Plug and play, ammo is everywhere, bullets are cheap, and it sips the powder.
    Second choice is the 6X45. It’s made from the 223 by shoving the brass into the die. Bullets are slightly more expensive, but they bring up your deposited energy drastically. (I really think I need one of these some day).
    Next up is the 243 Winchester. Again with the cheap 6mm bullets and brass is EVERYWHERE.
    Anything else is overkill, underkill, expensive, or so time consuming they cannot hardly be called a solid advantage over those three choices. Sometimes the juice just aint worth the squeeze IMHO.

timspawn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 137
    • Overall: 166

Hard to argue with Tim on this one. The 223 would be my choice unless you just want to be different (I do it all the time). Brass is damn near free, it’s like 9mm and 40..it’s everywhere.

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 190
    • Overall: 193

timspawn;n14036 wrote: Hard to argue with Tim on this one. The 223 would be my choice unless you just want to be different (I do it all the time). Brass is damn near free, it’s like 9mm and 40..it’s everywhere.

.224 bullets, both match and varmint designs are well refined for both accuracy and terminal effects on target. My preference is the 53 grain Sierra MK in the 1 in 12″ barrels and the 60 grain Hornady varmint bullet in the 1 in 9″ barrels.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Kinda reviving this a little bit.
    Well as a lot folks on here have picked up on I’ve finally retired from the Military… well I did about 2 days at the house and then shoot I have to find something to do.
    So, I took a part time job at a gun store in Little Rock. Everyone is thinking what does this have to do with pink mist guns welllll working in a gun shop yes I’m tempted with a LOT of possible candidates for this endeavor.

I generally look over the used rifle section the most, so right now I’m eyeballing two different rifles hard.

One is a Ruger No 1 which is configured with a 7mm Rem Mag But has a spare barrel with it in 22-250, to convert it back is just pretty much a ejector change.
    The No 1 does not have a real good reputation for bench rest accuracy but I just wanna pop P- dogs, not win the Wimbledon cup at the Match matches so it would probably be suitable choice. I do like the style of the number 1 a lot.

The other is the Ruger 77 hawkeye varmint in again 22-250.

Then again I just might pick up the AR if somebody does buy the Number 1 and 77, the AR are now affordable because of overproduction. The 5.56/.223 family is capable of my objectives.

What I am surprised is the fact that the Number 1 and the 77 are still there…. let’s see how the month goes.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I’d look at the Hawkeye. It’s a lot more expensive to rebarrel the #1.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Agree Tim,
    But the Number 1 comes with the Factory 22-250 barrel which really is not a consideration as much as some would think. It might only be useful as a tomato stake. Manfacture date is Circa 1997 came came as a 22-250 Varmint originally.
    What really works against the Number 1 is that blooming hanger system in the accuracy department. Is it a major problem? We both know it is not, but can sometimes use some attention to get peak performance rather than just acceptable level of performance.
    The other thing is just the design is plain sexy LOL. That bottom line is why I keep looking at it.
    None of that I said on the Ruger Number 1 discounts your advice though. And prior to you posting I was thinking the same, easiest path is the hawkeye

I’m with you on the Hawkeye though, and that one is really in the running other than pick up a AR.
    Before I can jump on the Hawkeye and pull it from inventory I have to give it some time on the rack.

Tim as you well know I would prefer a Remington or Winchester over a Ruger rifle.If the Hawkeye sells there will be a Remington or Winchester show up at some point in a caliber that is useful for my objectives be that .222, ,223, 22-250, 6mm Rem or even gasp that awful .243 caliber (ya’ll this is a private joke between Goodsteel and myself not a slam on the caliber).

Anonymous
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 8
    • Overall: 8

Sgt,
    I picked up a new Ruger #1V in 223 earlier this year, my first #1. Below is a pic of a 10shot 100yd group that I did on my 2nd outing with the rifle. At that time the barrel had less than 200 rounds through it. The first time out with it the groups were in the 2-3″ range. After searching the ruger forums and all of the discussions about aftermarket devices and bedding the forend there was one reference to using washers to get the barrel free floated. Washers are more up my alley when it comes to gunsmithing……. What I did was pull the fore end, sand the wood “fuzz” from the channel till it was smooth. it took about 3 minutes and I stopped when the channel was smooth, most of the wood finish still remained. I then placed 1 #10 washer on the hanger screw, remounted the foreend , and tried sliding a piece of paper down the barrel to the receiver. It got hung up so I removed the stock and added another washer and tried again. This time the paper slid all the way to to the receiver. I stopped there and the following weekend went to the range and shot the group you see. (Pulled the one).

Brass Fed Range pickups (all of the same head stamp) , FL sized annealed and trimmed.
    25g Varget
    sierra 69g TMK
    Fed 200 SR
    COL 2.315

timspawn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 137
    • Overall: 166

Excellent!

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Smbrj,
    Yep that was the tweaking I was referring to, I read that as well. I have no practical experience with them (Ruger No 1) so I really can’t say with Great Authority, just what I have heard
    I really like the looks of them. (before I forget Nice shooting)
    I’ll probably lean towards the Hawkeye Varmint mainly because it is assembled and should be a turn key.
    The other answer is to buy both LOL.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

While I have been going on about what was in the shop used, in the back of my mind I’m wondering rounds count on the 22-250 caliber versions (bear in mind I’m referring to the two Used Rugers in the rack at the shop, best part of the No 1 is a barrel set back, that factory barrel could be a .223 or even .222, just change the ejector) . In order for a used firearm to be worth it I need to score it cheap enough to re-barrel when I play the crap shoot to see if it is accurate enough. And no I’m not looking sub MOA ,even though it would be preferable. Hence is why I attempt to pay so little for a used firearm, at some point it is cheaper to buy new to get what you want.

Saying such I’m considering new for this I’ve narrowed the new search down to three rifle all three come in .223 and 22-250 calibers.
    The three I’m considering is:

a. Savage model 12 BVSS
    Caliber 22-250 1-12 twist which would be my preferred rate of twist in the .224 family.
    .223 in 1-9 twist
    b. Ruger 77 Hawkeye Varmint target
    22-250 1-14 twist
    .223 1-9 twist
    c. Remington 700 VLS
    22-250 1-14 twist
    .223 1-12 Twist — again my preferred twist

MSRP of the three is within $50.00, weight of all are within 1 lbs, accuracy potential the Savage and Remington would probably lead the Ruger. Why would I make such a statement? Ruger shoots their rifles at 50 yds and must group within 1-1/4″ for a group, so a less than optimal (that is my opinion) is possible to get out the door.

These next few statements are consideration regardless new or used.
    Quality of barrels are all probably very close in recent production, but the Savage is probably edging the top end, as Ruger quit outsourcing their barrels and brought them back up quite a bit the old barrel vendor really hurt them in the accuracy department. Fit and finish – Ruger and Remington will usually lead the Savage, although the 12 BVSS is not a slouch. Stocks – all three are laminate, and all have the semi beaver tail fore end that I find desirable.
    Rebuild ability and after-market parts the Remington will lead the pack, the Savage next, Ruger trails. Quality replacement triggers are available for all three ( I despise the Remington X-Mark Pro trigger, which a Mike Walker trigger is my Factory Remington trigger of choice) Of course Timney, Basic and others offer quality triggers. Ease of glass bedding Remington and Savage lead the pack here.

As I said earlier being retired, I have a bit more time to ponder all this. At some point I will pick a rifle to compliment the 6mm Remington that I have which is in the need a new barrel. Calibers I lean more towards the .223 for various reasons, although I would not pass up a great deal on a 22-250.

Some will quote the cost of the 6mm pills being so cheap, yep and a lot of the varmint 22 pills are actually cheaper. Where the 6mm leads at is the higher BC in the Varmint weights, which equals better wind bucking. That being said a wore out 22-250 at a dirt cheap cost could make a great candidate for a 6mm International ( two major versions Mike Walker and Donaldson) , which would use the 250 savage case.

Cost will be a major guiding factor for me. (I don’t recall Tim having a 22-250 reamer on hand either).
    Besides I’m having fun just discussing this on here before I pull the trigger so to speak on a companion to the 722 Remington (6mm Remington) that I have

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

while looking around on the Internet, here is a old article on the Number one back in 1977
    https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazi…i51partial.pdf

that ole Number 1 and the Ruger 77 Varmint are still in the rack tautening me.
    Then to add insult to injury we have a ruger 77 Tactical in .223 HB choices choices LOL

updated 20170406:
    durn it now we have a Ruger Precision Rifle in .223/5.56mm aggh need to strangle the boss. At this rate I’ll never get a paycheck.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Finally picked up another rifle for this task, A Remington 700 ADL in 243

Milkman 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 24
    • Overall: 28

If you prairie dog hunt with the 243 you will definitely need a second rifle.  the overbore 243 heat up really quickly.  I ended up pouring water down the barrel of mine to cool it off.  It got too hot to touch before I realized it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.