Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 95

I need some advice on which 9mm mold to get as I want to start casting for my new 9mm handgun I’m picking up this week. Here are two NOE molds I’m interested in but I’m open to any other suggestions as well. Also is there any real need for a gas check version of either of these molds.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product…inc4qdop3llr11

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product…inc4qdop3llr11

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

Im shooting plain base 9mm, no leading.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Lee 120 gr TC in 6-cavity. Plain base. Range scrap or COWW 50/50 with soft lead (exact alloy unknown). Sized to .358. Bull Shop soft lube. Works great.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I’ve been running the Lee 358-125 RF . The 6C piles up bullets and works in 38 and 357 . Never needed a gas check for pistol.

JRR
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 84
      • Overall: 107

I have the 135 gas check NOE bullet. It is very accurate in my CZ pistol when pushed hard with a medium powder like AA5 or Unique. At mild load, it is so so accuracy wise. .357″. It works very well in a Rossi lever action loaded in 357 cases and a firm taper crimp and H110. I have a RCBS 38/357 taper crimp die.

I also have the new NOE 128 semi-wadcutter flat base. It’s fabulous for mild steel plate or target loads. It has a very long shank length and is seated for an oal of barely 1″ but still feeds perfectly. I usually use 3.8gr of 231.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks guys for all the replies. I never have a problem picking out a mold for a particular rifle or revolver but with semi auto handgun cartridges which I recently just started shooting and casting for I always question my choices until I can cast up some and get to the range to test them out as you just never know how a particular handgun is going to be picky or not an like that bullet design. You just have to pay your money and take your chances.

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

I had the 135 RNFP in a RG great mold and boolit. My advice is get the 5 cavity of either.

I also have a 5 cavity of this mold,

http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=73

and a 5 cavity of this,

http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=137

Ken

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I have more than one Lee molds, and I think their 6-cavity molds are of a higher quality than the double-cavity. I don’t know why, but all of their 6-cav molds have been good.
      With their 2-cav, quality has been hit or miss for me. I like my 6-cav 9mm mold, round nose, does well in a Hi-Power.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

I decided to go with the NOE 124 gr. SWC in 4 cavity. It should be here by middle of next week an I can cast up some next weekend. I also have a Ruger BH in 357/9mm so I can use the bullet in that as well.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I have to agree with Kens. Lee 6 cavity molds are IMO in a class by themselves compared to the 2 cavity.

I have 6 now, I am slowly converting the whole stable over to them. I have yet to have one with a problem.

As for 9mm, I have 2. The .356 124 gr and the .358 124 gr. Some 9’s prefer one, some will only shoot groups with the big one.
      My 9mm Hipoint carbines are not fussy, they will shoot either with no issues.

My Hipoint C9 pistol keyholed at 20 feet with the small one, with factory ammo groups were 5 inches, but with the .358 loading as cast at .359 .3595 and .360 keyholing was gone and I had 2 inch groups.

The other one that had issues was a Handi Rifle stub jub. Being a bought 9mm barrel turned down and inserted into a H&R Shotgun barrel.

It was much like the C9, keyholed with standard 9mm boolits, slight improvement with Jacketed, but the .358 – .360 turned it into a 50 yard tack driver.

So I would say first you need to figure out what your 9mm needs. And adjust mold as required.

And if casting for multiple 9mm firearms, I would say be prepare for each of them to have totally different likes and hates.

You can cast for 9mm but no one ever said it was going to be easy.
      Thats my experience, YMMV.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Hopefully your 9mm will feed the SWC. Some do, and some don’t. If it doesn’t, you’ll have an excuse to get another mold!

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

I tried a couple of the Lee 9mm molds an neither would shoot well in my C9 or Ruger they just wouldn’t cast large enough so I sold them off and bought a Lee 38 cal. 125 gr. RNFP and it worked just fine in my C9 an Ruger so thats what I’ve been using,this was several years ago before I took up powder coating some of my bullets. I like Lee molds as I have around 15 of them at the moment an most cast larger than spec.but those 9mm ones just wouldn’t.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

I’ve run the gamut on different cast bullets in 9mm since the early 70s. I’ve shot cast through a lot of different 9mm handguns, a few sub guns and in 35 cal rifles. I’ve settled on PB’d 115 – 124 gr bullets as being the best that allows sizing at .357. Any weight in that range I load over 4 gr Bullseye and have had excellent results.

The last few years (10 or so actually) I’ve been pretty much exclusively using the lee 356-120-TC cast in a 6 cavity mould. I usually cast them out of a range lead alloy with lead and tin added. I size them .357 and lube with BAC for use in the 9mm. Accuracy and performance are always excellent. Of the 2 NOE moulds I would go with the 124 TC PB’s mould with at least 4 cavities. I’ve never really found a practical need for a GC’d bullet in the 9mm P cartridge. That should prove to be an excellent bullet.

Larry Gibson

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks Larry an everyone for your comments. I purchased the NOE 124 gr. TC 4 cavity mold today,should be casting up some bullets by next weekend.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Same mold as Larry recommends, even the same lube. Some lubed with soft from Bull Shop works good too. My powder is usually 4.0 gr of Red Dot. It has always been easy to get even during the “powder drought”, and is quite “fluffy”. I size to .358, which works in all of the 9mm I have and several friends too. My alloy is usually range scrap mixed 50/50 with softer stuff. Nothing special. All shot great without any hint of leading.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.