Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 37

My Trapdoor carbine front sight is just a tad short so it shoots high at 100 yards. I made a little bead from plumbing silver solder, the flat ribbon kind and soldered it on top the sight…. Didn’t have a gas torch at the time so I just used 60/40 rosin core solder and a big soldering iron. It worked good after filing it to shape and correct height but it was eventually knocked off when bumping into something.

I have now acquired a MAP gas and Oxi torch set. I made some flux out of borax and salt, 2:1 ratio. Buffed up the front sight with steel wool but can’t get it to take silver solder… I’m wondering if the residue from the 60/40 solder is the problem or the torch is oxidizing the front sight faster than the flux can keep it clean? I am using the same plumbing solder as before. I guess plumbing silver solder is harder with a higher melt temp then other silver solders so I’m also wondering if a lower temp silver solder is needed? Just trying to use what I have on hand.

Any instructions, recommendations, corrections or chastisement that would help is always appreciated.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

Make sure you have a reducing flame and be sure to use the right solder. They make different solders for different metals. Your homemade flux may also be hurting you. If you get the metal too hot, it also will not stick. It needs to be just right. You might have an easier time if you folded a piece of thin sheet metal into a “V” and soft-soldered it on top of the sight. Then the soldering will be easier and it is basically just glue instead of the structure itself.

JRR
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 84
      • Overall: 107

With the MAP and OXI, you can use basic brazing rod 1/16″ to put a few drips on the top of the sight. Then file for square and height. Do it off the barrel or use heat sink around and inside if it cannot be removed. Use as close to a neutral flame as possible. A carburizing flame will soot and mess up the area and a highly oxidizing flame may bubble the braze and leave pitting. Medium red color. Get some good flux designed for brass brazing rod. It’s inexpensive.
      Jeff

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 37

Ok, so this is what I finally settled on… Harris, Stay Brite, pn: SBSK silver solder kit with flux. The kit comes with 1/2oz silver bearing solder and a 1/2oz bottle of flux. It’s a low temp silver solder that has a much higher tinsel strength than tin/lead solder.

Like JRR recommended with the brazing rod I put a couple good drips on top of the sight… I first tinned the top of the sight with the silver solder at higher temp then turned the temp down but still in the melting range of the silver solder then added the drips. It all flowed very nicely and this was done with an temp adjustable soldering iron. Filed it to shape but left it a little tall for sighting in.

We’ll now see how well it holds up to use.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

JRR is the brazing rod champion.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.