This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Rattlesnake Charlie 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 137
    • Overall: 154

I have worn glasses all my life. From age 22 to about 49 I wore contacts no problem. Now I can’t see close up at all with glasses or contacts. I have to take my glasses off to see close up. With my contacts in I couldn’t see the dash to drive, no dash   No Speeddometer nothing all blurry 4 feet and closer. I know I can’t be the only one having this problem. With scopes two years ago on my different rifles some I could see with the glasses on some  I had to take them off to see clearly. Now all scopes I have to take the glasses off. But my close up vision is a lot better with the glasses off but still not great. The scopes help me see far away but the cross hairs are blurry. How do you all find a doc that can deal with older eyes? Thanks.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Forgot to add I hate having to carry reading glasses with me. They always get lost or broke . With them on close up vision is great but I can’t see far away or through a scope

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 195
    • Overall: 230

My eyes are getting old also. I have a hard time getting pistol sights in focus with my glasses on. I have bifocals for reading up close.

For some scopes I just look over my glasses to see better.

JRR 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 84
    • Overall: 107

I would suggest bringing a pistol slide with open sights and also a scope with you next time you visit the optometrist.  I did this for long barrel iron sights and handgun sights.  My situation is that I am right handed and left eye dominant.  Learned to shoot my rifle with my right eye.

My reading prescription is 2.5 and trying to shoot with this is great for seeing the sights but making the target impossible.  My shooting prescription has a focal point of 38 in. with a 1.25 correction.  It cleans up the front sight although not perfect and still allows seeing the target well enough.

You may end up with two shooting prescriptions and two pair of glasses.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Funny I am left handed and right eye dominant. I  learned to shoot right handed ,can’t hold a gun and shoot left handed. Thanks for the info. I need a good check up ,it’s been two years since my last check up,may be longer.two pair of glasses use to be expensive. My last cheep pair was 300$. My wife found our glasses at Zeni optical online . You just send in your prescription online from the doctor and you pick out a frame and your lenses. My last 5 pair of glasses where under 15 dollars each shipped. Every body I tell about zeni and the glasses ask me if I can see ok. Well yes I can if not I wouldn’t be ordering them. My wife and daughter also order glasses through them. My sun glasses or shooting glasses where only 23$ shipped .

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 797
    • Overall: 868

I never needed glasses until I was 38 . At 42 I gave up on the bifocal resistance . My then Mrs had a vanity thing so I got a contact and blended lenses . After the first pair of lined bifocal safety glasses after wearing nolines for a couple of years it was no contest to pay the extra for blend . Among other things it gives me about 20 focal points from the full clear vision at the target to clear focus of the front ring of a bolt rifle and the entire rib of a shotgun .
    I’m left eyed right handed and shoot both ways now as I fought the weakening left eye to a point that I learned to shoot a bow right handed both open . The lose went from 15/20 to 20/40 in about 4 yr . I lose the first 3-4x on the left side now . The contact is a stigmatism contact that actually let’s me see around the damaged part of the macula in my left eye . Now I just make people crazy that watch me shoot a while and drive the counter guys to drink when I ask for a no cast stock .

Look into no lines before you buy 3-4 pairs of glasses .

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Thanks every body for the info

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 503
    • Overall: 553
    • Gold

Might check these two sites;

Elvex safety glasses at; https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/elvex-rx-500-safety-glasses-with-black-frame-and-clear-full-lens-magnifier. These are full lens magnification safety glasses. They come in 0.5 to 2.5 correction at $8.29 apiece.

These have a bi-focal correction up top where needed when shooting. Watch video:  Into the fray 128; at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eheza1T9xqw

Order from SSP Eye Wear https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/elvex-rx-500-safety-glasses-with-black-frame-and-clear-full-lens-magnifier.  1.0 to 3.0 correction available.  $39.99 which includes dark and yellow lenses.

Larry Gibson

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Larry thanks for the info . looks like these will work out really good

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

I have found that many “red dot” and “reflex” type sights have the “dot” distorted when viewed through cheap “reader” glasses or my prescription bifocals. Using the “distance” portion of my prescription bifocals the distortion is considerably less. This phenomenon seems more pronounced with lower cost optics. Are others experiencing similar results?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.