This topic contains 12 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  JPHolla 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Situation:
    I have moved to the country.
    Problem: there’s a big dam cat out here. Footprints the size of a Copenhagen can. I’ve been warned by two different neighbors who have seen it. I heard it scream several nights ago.
    My weapon of choice is a 10 gauge SXS but the roll crimper got lost in the move, so I am stuck with #2 goose shot.
    My go to weapon for any situation is the M1A Scout, and the Remington Speedmaster. Both of which have iron sights.

Im working on finding the roll crimper for the shotgun.
    That said, the M1A or the Speedmaster are always the weapons that are closest to hand. Always. Therefore, I want to be prepared to use them.
    Heres the problem:
    My Bushnell cliplight which is very good for using for general use in the shop, and can sorta get the job done when held in parellel with the forend of these rifles, is awkward and easily misplaced in alignment. Especially if we are talking about a snap shot at a ginormous putty tat.

So, naturally, I’m thinking about mounting powerful lights on the weapons themselves that, when switched on, will allow me to focus on making a very hard shot on a rapidly moving target.

Given the rifles I’ve mentioned, is there any advice you might be willing to give me?

One more thing, I really don’t want to spend more than $50 each making this happen.

Any advice from practical experience would be appreciated.

lar45 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 224
    • Overall: 245
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

thanks Glenn, but I’m looking for advice on the light itself. I can find a way to rig just about anything, but what to rig?
    when it comes to lights, the possibilities are almost limitless.
    I just need some advice on a light that is powerful enough to cut me a shooting lane through the darkness a good 75 yards, but small enough to be mounted on these firearms without impeding normal function too much.

Something in between a super reliable 4 D cell MagLight taped on the forend and a “tactical LED pen light” the size of an asparigus.

Do I have to drop two bills on Streamlight or Surefire?

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

No, you don’t need a high priced light. I have a 200 lumen light from the local hardware store that has an adjustable beam. I paid $30. It is mounted on my Saiga 12. It has held up for over several hundred rounds. I also have a couple of cheap no-name lights I’ve mounted on various firearms over the years just to see if I liked the style before I bought anything more expensive. Some failed after a couple of years and/or several hundred rounds. You only need a light that will get you by for one round, maybe a few more.

BTW, I suggest fitting some temporary spacers to allow you to get the light on your 10 ga double. Those #2 goose loads will take care of that cat. Coyotes too.

One last thing. Many of the so-called weapon lights have options for low output, high output, and flashing. I have found I prefer just one setting — high output. It sucks to be trying to shoot a coyote exiting the yard with one of your house cats and have that darned light be flashing as you draw down on the varmint.

OK, one more last thing. Consider a cheap laser. I have one mounted on an AR-15 for longer shots at night. Yes, it is legal to shoot coyotes with lights and lasers in some states. Mine will reach out effectively several hundred yards after dark.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

I have a green light I bought for the hog hunts . I think it was only about $60 . It came with a charger , batteries , scope clamp mount and a pressure switch . At 225 yd I can distinguish sage from dune easily . At 100 through 5-6x optics it’s not daylight but it’s not bad . The green light doesn’t seem to spook hogs or coyotes if you pass onto them but will if you light them directly. I will look up the name and see if I can find the receipt when I get home .

JPHolla 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 121

Many of the small aluminum flashlights have a 1″ tube and you know what that fits. But you can get a halfway decent weapon light for about $40 and not have to worry about recoil turning it off or breaking it every shot.

On second thought, Tim, it would be really funny to see you duct-tape a cheap flashlight to your 10ga. You could use it in an advertisement photo for your gunsmithing services…lol.

Menner 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Overall: 124

Check these out
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Sets-Tactic…cAAOSw4GVYICBD
    I have a few of the Cree, they are china made but I have good luck with them
    Tony

P.S. There is this also
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000Lm-C8-Gr…EAAOSw8gVX-GgZ

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

How did the Ocelot get from Tx to Ar? Had a cougar that size bumping the bottom of the Coleman slide out bed a long time age, me with just a 380 popgun. Fortunately he was more interested in the empty bean can – yea, my goof. A gunsmith without a 12ga pump? M1a is probably the best bet, get green light – where your eyes are most sensitive. Kid gave me a Streamlight for Christmas so I just tossed a handfull of the chinese minimags with the krypton bulbs. I’d like to find an inexpensive green LED gun light for night pig hunting. most of the green LEDs are grow wavelength, not the bast for us. Lots of chicken coops in your area? Cree makes the best high intensity (golden dragon) LED.

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 256
    • Overall: 296

Sounds like you have a bobcat running around. They can get kinda noisy when in the “rut” so to speak. I would go out and buy a can of jack mackerel and trap him. They are not bringing a whole lot right now but your local buyer might give you a few bucks. Blast him with a shotgun or anything else for that matter and they most likely won’t offer anything.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Most likely a bobcat. However, don’t overlook BIG feral house cats. My cousin once caught one that weighted probably close to 20 lbs. It was as large as the racoon that were the target animal. A Conibear 220 still worked.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

This is no bobcat. We don’t get too excited about those (although, I did personally see one that was close to this size once. That was one big bruiser!)
    This cat has been described as tan in color, with a long tail. The prints were 2″ in breadth. That’s no bobcat and no house cat.

Anyway, I went looking around trying to find lights with pressure switches in the medium price range. All I found was very cheap or very expensive is all I could find. So, I bought two lights for $18 each. If they suck, I’m not out much.
    Im going to attempt to mount the lights so they provide glancing illumination to the front sights of the rifles.
    We’ll see what happens.
    Thanks for the advice!

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

You may find that any light hitting your sights will almost blind you when shooting after dark. What you will be able to see if the light only shines out front is the outline of your sights. Try it with the light taped on first.

On cougars, saw one in western KS in summer of 2003. Only 75 yards out. My brother and his wife were in the pickup and saw it too. It sat and watched us for maybe 30 seconds after we stopped, and then it sauntered down into the brush on the Pawnee Creek. The fist and game kept saying there were no cougars in KS, but then created a hunting regulation prohibiting shooting them. Kinda strange. In the last year or two a few have been caught on game cameras, and fish and game admits there some now in state. One of the last sightings was in SE Kansas. A couple of guys running raccoon with dogs treed it and took photos. Its paw print would have been much larger than 2″. More like 4+.

Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote shells come in 10 ga 3.5″ with 1.75 oz of #4 buck at 1300 fps. Expect about $50 for 10. I haven’t been able to match them with lead. The 3″ 12 ga load in T buck will drop a coyote dead with a single shot at 60 yards.

JPHolla 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Overall: 121

Funny, a guy who just moved here just came into the store and asked if we had cougars here, because he’s pretty sure his game camera caught one. Guess they’re spreading everywhere. Was 2″ a typo? I was thinking bobcats here had 2″ footprints. Their feet seem much larger proportionally than housecats, here. I would have expected cougars to be larger, like Charlie saw.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.