This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  NavyVet1959 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
     az-jim 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 36
    • Overall: 45

Its time to haul compost to the garden!
    But one of the wood handles on my wheelbarrow broke. Replacement handles are about 2/3 the price of a new wheelbarrow, I didnt feel like spending $24 for handles or $37 for a new unit. I would rather spend that money on gunpowder…..which I did 🙂
    So with a quick thought I got these from the garage

Its nothing special but it works and saved me some money for the time being

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Whatever works!

Anonymous
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 23
    • Overall: 24

Thank you! I will copy that idea.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

Way back when I lived in Oregon – I got a used wheel with a replaced set of handles – it had square steel tubing.

jedomejd 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 18
    • Overall: 19

Last month Lowe’s had all their wheelbarrow handles set in a clearance section and priced at $5 a set. Wood or steel made no difference, $5 was the price

farmerjim 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 25
    • Overall: 25

Good Idea.
    Neither the wood or the steel handles last long when stored outside.

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 256
    • Overall: 296

I must be the prepper in me coming out or what. Whenever I see a problem like replacing wheel barrow handles I simply go out to my wood stash , pick out what i consider as a good replacement and go from there.
    Yes, I keep a lot of wood on hand. I love working with it.
    Where we live there is actually very little native wood, out in the middle of the high plains. Basically whenever you see a tree, someone planted it it, it did not occur naturally.
    Kids and grandkids live over in Kansas and in the eastern and especially the south eastern quadrants they have lots of varied woods. So since we go over often, when we do I keep my eyes open and grab on to about any different kinds of wood we come across. Why I drive a pickup I guess.
    Anyway, whenever we stumble across any of these different woods, I bring them home, seal the ends and store them up overhead in our old barn.
    In the case of wheel barrow handles, I would try to find a stick of ash , or hedge ( osage orange ) or best of all, hickory. I try to keep a few straight branches of about 3 inches in diameter and six feet long and as straight and true as possible.
    Then to the table saw with a 10 inch carbide blade we would by guess and by gosh try to rough saw down one side as roughly true as possible then reverse and bring in the other side, there again close to true, then back again to the first side and roughly reduce to the desired finished width. Same with the thickness.
    By the way— none of this meets OSHA regulations.
    On to the planer where all four sides are reduced until we have a rectangle roughly the size we want. Then holding one end in a vice we would use a draw knife or spokeshave until we had reduced the handle portion to a round shape.
    A few holes drilled to allow mounting and guess what, you have a finished set of wheel barrow handles.

The wife started something a few years ago where all tools with wooden handles that are used outside are collected up in the fall, repaired as needed and the wooden handles are liberally coated with boiled linseed oil then put aside for the winter.
    Not only do the tools take on a smooth golden finish to them but they are protected and tend to last almost forever.
    A shovel has been called a ” idiot stick ” but with just the slightest care can become a trusted tool.

az-jim 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Overall: 45

Oh to have the ability to stop out in the country and throw a few chunks of various hardwoods in the back of the truck 😉
    Not out here in AZ lol, closest I get is some white oak up in the high country which is about a 2 hour drive at best for us deprived city folks.

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Actually we do not have much wood to speak of around here. One of the most common things said about here by those driving through is where in the heck are the trees. What few we have are usually planted along a creek or they have a bit of water somehow and they tend to be cottonwoods with spruce thrown in .
    What I do is when we travel ( up to 8 hours one way ) to see the grandkids then I start looking to find woods. Number one son is good at finding someone who might need a tree cut down while we are there or perhaps someone already cut it down and we can help turn it into firewood and I see a couple nice crotch sections they usually are more than willing to just give them away. This is what is taken home, sealed and put away. It isn’t a perfect system. Even with the best care we sometimes lose some wood but then again that’s OK as I have a wood burner out in the shop for winter time.

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

I see more wood piled on city boulivards than I ever did along country roads.
    Take a saw along with and take what you want. Just don’t leave a mess.

Forks for slingshots, straight shafts for shooting sticks, walking sticks. Whatever your interested in.

Elm, ash, oak, boxelder, fruit trees, pines, cedars, cottonwood. Always someone in the neighborhood cleaning up.

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Don’t forget to save about everything from fruit trees. Apple, peach, apricot, you name it. Great for smoking.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

Experience says: “Don’t fill that plastic garbage can too full, or you’ll split the sides.”

Just a thought…..

gwpercle 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Overall: 38

Those dollies are the handiest things to have , a bungie cord around the top will keep the trash can in place .
    You idea just might be better than a conventional wheel barrow for us guys with back problems.
    Great idea, thanks for posting !
    Gary

jedomejd 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 18
    • Overall: 19

I visited Flagstaff last Feb, loved it. It’s one of the few places I would be willing to relocate in. I live in the foothills here in NC, and like here, AZ has beautiful high country.
    JD

NavyVet1959 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 26
    • Overall: 28

I had to replace the handles on my wheelbarrow once. I just grabbed a pressure treated 2×4 and cut the handles from it. Used a plane on the ends that you grip to give a bit more rounded contour though.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.