This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jniedbalski 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
     reloader762 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 80
    • Overall: 95

Ever since I got my first SKS I’ve always wanted a nice Russian SKS but something else always came up or the money was short an then the prices went sky high so I just gave up and settled for what I had. Well I guess sometimes it worth the wait and good things happen to those that do.

To make a long story short I got if from a friend that had four of them stashed away in the back of the safe room. It’s a 1952r black bolt refurb/re-arsenalled  rifle that has never been fired since it came in country. He originally gave $189 for the rifles so I just basically doubled his money and now it’s mine. Can’t wait to get her cleaned up and get some warm weather to put some rds. downrange.

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

Mine is a Yugo with the grenade launcher, ladder sights, and gas shut off.

Stock has some stories to tell on mine. A name scratched into it, couple of deep pits, a burn. I wish it could talk.

I ended up working up 2 very different loads for mine.
    20 grains of IMR 4895 under the Lee .312 185 gr gas checked. Yes this is a large bullet for this rifle. The old girl seems like them big and set long.

I have a AR500 plate on a steel angle iron frame. The SKS is the only rifle I ever shot it with that could tip it at will. Just takes 2 quick shots and timing.

Those 185 gr bruisers were knocking the paint off the backside of the plate where they hit.

The other load is 4.6 grains of Red Dot under the little .314 90 gr truncated cone bullet. No it won’t cycle the action. Turn the gas off, makes it into a straight pull bolt action shooting machine.

You don’t even have to push the bolt forward, just jerk it back and release.
    Brass stays right there on the bench, easy to find. Pokes holes in paper even chaper than Tulammo. No gas check, 4 cents for primer 1.5 for lead, another 1.5 cents for powder. So for about the same price as CCI Mini mag hollow points, more speed, more smack, and you get to put them on stripper clips and shoot it out of the SKS. That’s win win in my book.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

That is one nice looking SKS.

reloader762 
      Participant
      • Bronze

Ghost, I shoot the Lee 185 gr. in my SKS rifles as well.   I actually got the idea to try it from one of your post on the CBF I’m pushing about 23 grs. of 4895 in my loads and it’s a nice thumper.  I also shoot Larry’s Lee 90 gr. SWC / Bullseye load in my SKS rifles and just work the action like a bolt gun, nice little sub sonic plinker / small game load.

Over on the CBF  I go by res45 but I use the same avatar, so you have probably seen me around over there.  I have a 1970 Yugo as well and a 1965 Chinese Factory 26 I bought NIB.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 218
    • Overall: 261

Very nice find.  Looks like it’s in great shape.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

I got a couple SKS, they are fun, and I got them when the ammo was $99/spam can.

Gosh, those days are long gone !!!

Since this thread is a SKS thread, on a forum with many gunsmith’s on it, and it already mentioned a gas cut off, straight-pull action, I want to ask this:

What if you took a SKS and removed all the military hardware (grenade launcher et. al. ), removed handguard, removed everything else, rebarrelled it to any of the 39mm derivitives (7.62×39, 6mmPPC, 22PPC), and DID NOT drill the gas port. Only shoot it as a straight pull action. Find a good sight to mount either on the rear cover, or, scout mount.

My basic thought here is straight-pull action, and GOOD sights, good barrel, on any of the 39mm platform rounds.

What are you guys thoughts? yea or nay?

reloader762 
      Participant
      • Bronze

Glenn,  it’s more like it found me as I had no idea my friend was going to offer it to me,  so I was kinda like OK I’ll take it.  The rifle was basically sent back to the factory or where ever they do the refurb/re-arsenalled work anything broken or worn was replaced.  The receiver, bolt carrier and barrel were painted black with something that leaves a very tough finish after the refurb process and the rifle was put in storage.  So basically the rifle is still in the same condition as it came from the arsenal when it was shipped to the US .  He bought four of the rifles probably fifteen years ago in various configurations an they have just been sitting in the back of  his safe room ever since just kinda forgotten.

reloader762 
      Participant
      • Bronze

Ken,  that way out of my area of expertise.  Hopefully GoodSteel can answer those questions for you.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

The first question is, is it a pressed on barrel, or threaded? I think the threaded ones have flats machined on the barrel next to the receiver.

Here’s a video on removing an SKS barrel

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Boyd’s has some pretty sexy SKS stocks

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

Nice find – I find my Yugo a very accurate plinker – using Ed Harris 155 bullet design.

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

I see no reason why you could not convert it to a straight pull bolt.

I have shot mine a fair amount that way with low end Red Dot loads.

I like that I don’t have to hunt to find brass.

The action to me is easier than a K-31 Swiss straight pull bolt.

And yes in theory you could go with one of the variants and get a slightly differnt caliber out of it.

The tipping point for me would be if I had a SKS with a badly shot out bore.
    Assuming it would be possible without too much work to get the new barrel attached. I’m sure others are better informed than I am how much work that would be.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Just saw this one about a .308″ surplus barrel in custom chambered 7.62×39 turning in MOA groups

The 1MOA SKS

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I had a Chinese SKS back in Y2K. That was the rifle I learned not to sell rifles on. It was exceptionally accurate and well built as those things go. I’ve thought about replacing it several times, but I havn’t seen one that could match the one I had just based on looks alone. I only gave $125 for it, and I sold it for the same money like a total idiot.

I found out real quick that a rifle lasts a lifetime, but a couple hundred dollars is lucky to last till the end of the week.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

Love my SKS Yugo – Nice find – mine likes the Ed Harris design 155 grain made by NOE, LEE and NEI

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 196
    • Overall: 219

My sks is one of my favorite military rifles. The early Chinese one I have shoots very accurate. The Russian one I have lookes better but won’t shoot as tight as the Chinese one. The newer import sks is not to bad consedering it’s a cheep import . Got it with the military stock. Somebody has put a cheep plastic stock on it. But it’s not to bad

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.