Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Last Sunday my M1 Carbine fired about four times, then just stopped firing. No jam. No indent on the primer. I took it home, disassembled it, cleaned it good, and checked everything I could think of. The firinig pin still protrudes when hit from the hammer end. The bolt goes into full lockup. Reassembled and took it back to the range again. Thank goodness it is only about 5 miles away. Same thing. I’ve attached photos of the areas that I think might be problem areas. The carbine was purchased through the most recent release of them via CMP. I’ve put about 100 rounds through it before this failure. All help appreciated.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Please check the headspace on your gun

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Rack the bolt and let it close on an empty chamber. Hold the rifle verticle, and drop a length of 1/4″ dowel rod down the barrel so it rests against the bolt face. Dry fire and listen for the rod to bounce. If the rod does not bounce, the problem is south of the boltface. If the rod does bounce then you have an ammunition/headspace problem.
      If these are reloads, try sizing a piece of brass and priming it with no bullet and see if the rifle will pop the primer.
      If it does, make sure you are not over crimping the brass when you seat the bullets as this cartridge headspaces on the case mouth like an auto pistol round. Make sure you have not over trimmed your brass making it so it cannot reach the end of the chamber.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’ll try your test Goodsteel. The ammo is of new manufacture. I had 100% reliability for about 100 rounds, then 100% failure for the next dozen tries.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Is the bolt going fully into battery with a round in the chamber?

Larry Gibson

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

All the above and one more, please check the chamber to see if a part of the last round may have separated and left
      a ring of brass in the chamber.

PLUS, remove the firing pin to see if it is broken in half inside the bolt

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Culprit Found!

I did Goodsteel’s test, and the firing pin and everything behind it was working.

I had previously ran a few loaded rounds through it without any problem chambering or ejecting. The bolt was rotating fulling into the locked position. At Larry’s suggestion, I tried it again when I got home from work. The bolt did not go fully into battery, maybe only one-half way. I tried to eject that round. Uh-oh. Stuck tight. I had to employ simultaneously pulling down on the charging handle while dropping my heavy stainless steel cleaning rod with a .30 cal flat faced jag down the barrel. Several times. On about the fourth try, the loaded round came out. It is now a flat nosed bullet driven somewhat deeper into the case. Into the bucket of “you ain’t gonna believe this rounds” I have accumulated over the years. Yes, I was wearing my safety glasses. And leather gloves. And hearing protection.

Now what? I decided to run a brass brush down the muzzle to see if there was something in the chamber. Lo and behold, a small copper ring dropped onto the carpet. It measures 0.026 inches thick according to my Starrett dial calipers. Copper, not brass. It came off a bullet jacket.

What brand of ammo? I had ordered 250 rounds of 110 gr FMJ ammo from surplusammo.com when I received the carbine. I wanted re-loadable casings. It is listed as:
      SAA .30 Carbine 110 Grain Full Metal Jacket – 250 Rounds, Bulk New
      Quality, Reliability, & Dependable Performance. Manufactured here in the United States for SAA, this factory new, brass cased ammunition is an excellent value with unparalleled quality.
      New Mfg.
      Caliber: 30 Carbine
      Casing: Factory Brass
      Bullet Style: FMJ
      Weight (Grains): 110
      Velocity (Muzzle): 1965 fps.
      Energy (Muzzle): 943 ft. lbs.
      Primer Style: Boxer
      Non-Corrosive
      Good Quality brass for reloading
      Made in the U.S.A.
      Now, I do not know if my problem was due to ammo or a sharp chamber or such in my carbine. I’m not throwing stones. I am going to contact them to see their take, and will post their response.

For now, I’m happy my carbine is back on the road.

Here are some pertinent photos:

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I used to have a backer board gig on a local range . As a lead scrounge I built traps for the high volume stations . On several occasions I found plated bullets , probably 9mm , with the bearing area all bare lead . I can only imagine the cussing at the failure to feed .

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I sent off an e-mail to Surplus Arms telling them what happened, and requested where they get their bullets from. I did this right after the previous post. As of this evening, still no answer. I’ll keep everyone posted.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Went out and tried the carbine at the range. It works fine again.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions for trouble shooting.

BTW, I could make the dinner plate size gong at 200 yds ring about one out of four shots.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

On Thursday, a guy from Surplus Ammo called me to discuss the problem I experienced. He stated that they have sold a considerable amount of the ammo, and no one had reported problems. He went on to explain that he believes the problem is a long time buildup due to inadequate cleaning. I thanked him for calling me to discuss my problem. I was concerned they may have an ongoing problem.

Yesterday afternoon I used a kinetic bullet puller to pull one bullet. The entire bullet core is covered in copper. Like in a “plated” bullet. Then I took a file to it. The cut quickly into the lead core. Still smells like a “plated” bullet. They advertised it as “jacketed”.

I’ve probably got at least 100 rounds left. I’ll see if the problem reoccurs.

I hope I will not have problems with cast bullets.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Took the carbine out again today. Total of about 60 or 80 rounds. No malfunctions. Just pushed a brass brush down the barrel to see if another “ring” would come out. It did not. I’ll try to get out tomorrow again and fire about another 60 rounds, which will be the end of the total box of 250 I originally purchased from Surplus Ammo.

This morning the carbine wore a dated 2.5×20 Bushnell Banner. While I like the quality, I really had to climb up the stock. In the afternoon I returned to the range with a 4×32 Tasco LER on it. This was much easier. The increase in magnification might be good. Field of view seemed about the same. The attached photo of the target is the second one I used for sighting in. The last 3 rounds are the ones in the bull. I shot it at 25 yards. Easier when starting out with a newly mounted scope. And, I figured if it was sighed in dead on at 25 yds it would be close at 100. I tried a few at the 200 yd gong, but no hits. I could not see where it was impacting as it had rained in the morning, so no dust to kick up.

I hope to improve accuracy using tips from Larry Gibson. It is a very light and handy gun. It would be nice for just roaming around in the field, ready for a marauding tin can or a dumb coyote.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

It looks like the photos are not uploading. Rats. Apparently I must upload them one at a time. Looks like Larry Gibson’s Photo Curse is contagious.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I mounted my K-4 Weaver differently and did rotate the turrets 90 degrees to avoid case ejection issues

For this mount the rear sight must be removed but it does bring the scope more to the rear.
      $15.00 and NO Shipping cost 🙂

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-Carbine-S…y-AnMb6S5MhIjQ

Mike

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

skeettx, that is an interesting mount. I might try it if I go back to the red dot, which is a real possibility.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Here’s today’s group. 10 shots at 100 yards. Beautiful weather, 65 degrees, just a few clouds in the sky, and a breeze that did not top 3 mph. The range has good concrete benches, but my rest was lacking. I used a canvas tool bag under the forearm and my left hand under the buttstock. I think the one high and right is my fault. It went off just a little before I expected. The ole carbine doesn’t have a match trigger, but it does break pretty clean when you get enough pull on the trigger. With the cheap ammo with plated bullets, my lousy rest, and my sorry eyes, I’m pleased in how this carbine that is older than me shoots.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Neat
      Thank you for sharing
      Mike

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.