This topic contains 27 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  bullet maker 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
     Dick 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 77
    • Overall: 87

Is to ban all pistol range reports shot at 7 yards. Over and over again I read how “This is the most accurate gun I have ever shot!” only to keep reading and learn it was shot at 7 yards. It’s not just Joe blow from Piscopo either. Shorter and shorter distances of testing are creeping into more ‘Official’ reports on new firearms.

Argh!

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

I thought we had all ready settled on 25 for pistols and 100 for.rifles and the over achievers shoot 50 and 500. Wait that’s so old school man get in the now already. If ya can’t know k the parasites off a flea at 19ft from the muzzle how do you expect to hit the broad side of a barn from inside jeeze.
    It’s the new standard for achievement just keep lowering the standard until your results meet the requirements. .

Dick 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Pretty much, lol. I try to tell people that proficiency at 25 and 50 yds translates to awesomeness at shorter distances, but not vise versa. I usually get the “Most self defense shootings are within 7 yds.” blather. It is killing me on the inside, especially when you read about a full custom pistol running in the thousands of dollars and then get range reports at 7 yds. That person would be money ahead buying a HI-Point and a bazillion rds of ammo.

Smoke4320 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 140
    • Overall: 151

hey now don’t be knocking the Hi point … very accurate at 3 yds 🙂 🙂

There was this one time late at night some wild dogs were making a rucus in the back yard. I stepped out and fired a 2 hole group with one shot …
    in one side and out the other of my tractor tire !!!

Son decided to leave the tractor out of the barn so he could start easy in the morning … NOT !!

Anonymous
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 71
    • Overall: 76

I stepped out and fired a 2 hole group with one shot …

Bwaahahaaaa, I can top that story…a freind once stepped out at night, shot at something and did indeed hit his tractor tire, but the round nose 45acp bullet went through one lug and ricocheted off the tire and continued through his truck windows, front and rear. Just had to share that.

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

For actual gun/load accuracy, 25 (or 50 if you have a scope or young eyes) is fine, 7 or 10 is good for PRACTICE of SD. Try 25 with a subcompact anything and post your results.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I know a guy with an LCP this I may have to try.

Dick 
    Participant
    • Bronze

popper;n5173 wrote: For actual gun/load accuracy, 25 (or 50 if you have a scope or young eyes) is fine, 7 or 10 is good for PRACTICE of SD. Try 25 with a subcompact anything and post your results.

Does a J-Frame snubby count for sub compact? If so, I’ll shoot it tomorrow with 358429 over a dose of Unique. I’ll have the wife shoot it as well and post her target. I love taking her to the range. She shoots while I stuff Glock 17 magazines, lol. The looks she gets as she walks her targets down to the 25 yd line are priceless, and even better when she retrieves her targets. She does take a long time to hang a target though.

dverna 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 81
    • Overall: 86

There is a guy on the other forum talking about 1″ groups at 100 yards and his personal best of 2 1/2″ at 500 yards……..with a pistol

I am truly astounded. I think of all the ammo and time wasted with a Ransom rest trying to get 2″ groups at 50 yards. I am ashamed of my incompetence. Lol.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

You do know that a pistol action hung on a 36″ 45-120 Contender, Encore etc is a pistol right ?
    I bet that it would even count hooked to a concrete howitzer mount……

Dick 
    Participant
    • Bronze

That would be cool to see!

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Which part the actual hand cannon mounted on cannon platform or the Quigley bbl on the pistol grip?
    It was a harsh cold day ,my tendonitus in my foot is screaming , the broken wrist is really unhappy and the weather is killing me ,however the 7/Bullet is coming on and I don’t care about the aches any more…

VANN 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 123
    • Overall: 134

I shot a 1″ group at 500 yards. Oh, wait that was just a dream. Sorry.

dverna 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 81
    • Overall: 86

I was going to comment on such BS but already have a warning so I let it go. The guy has almost 20,000 posts. I wonder how he finds time to cast, reload and shoot such astounding results.

Dick 
    Participant
    • Bronze

He got taken to the cleaners over the claims awhile back.

DaveInGA 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 44
    • Overall: 50

I guess my standards are a little different. I feel any handgun I own should be capable, in my hands, to shoot the black out of a Shoot N See target at 25 yards. In other words, accurate enough I can move my point of aim around enough and have enough rounds fired through it that I know where the round is going to land on the target. If I can achieve that (and I have, in times past when I didn’t have Psoriatal Arthritis), then I am satisfied I can hit what I’m aiming at closer.

In addition to that, the gun’s ergonomics must be good enough I can achieve reasonably good scores with the old police pistol 6 steel plate target challenge. While I can’t shoot like Gary Mikunic (spelling?), I have been able, with a good handgun, to achieve what I considered a reasonable mix of speed and accuracy. At least, back in the day, I would have easily qualified on this portion of the police training.

I’ve never shot any Bullseye, mostly due to lack of opportunity. So I don’t know much about 50 yard shooting. But my Father taught me the Old Marine Corps style of using one hand to shoot with. He also taught me to shoot both right and left handed. While I’ve heard it argued loud and long about using two hands, more stable platform, etc., my Father’s argument to the contrary always trumped them in my mind. He said: “If you need to defend yourself with a pistol, there’s a good chance you may be being shot at. If so, you’re better off if there is no cover to turn sideways to the target, presenting a smaller target for your enemy and if you’re behind cover, you expose less with one hand than with two.”

I have an old S&W .38 Special my Father carried in the war. It has 7 notches in one of the old smooth walnut grips. (He was quite embarassed by the notches as an old man, saying he was very young when he cut them.) He died at age 92, lying in his own bed in my home being cared for by his son. I defer to his experience and survival skill in combat actually practiced.

Remmie 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 47
    • Overall: 51

I have been practicing drawing from concealed carry and shooting 7 water bottles at 25 yds. I am down to about 3.5 seconds to get them all. Double handed grip on my favorite 1911a1. I figure that equals head shots at any threat I would ever meet at that distance. Can’t quite do that at 50 yds, but still in pretty consistent 4″ group. But if I pull out my 1981 Ruger Redhawk with the 7.5″ barrel that group shrinks a lot. I really have a good laugh at some of these mall ninjas and their 7 yds. Of course casting, reloading and 3-5 hundred rounds per week doesn’t hurt. In the last 6 years of being forced into disability checks I have went from 2′ groups to 2″ groups at 25 yds with that 1911.

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Dick, the tone your original post was that under 25 yd targets aren’t valid for gun/load accuracy. I tend to agree but then why the various distance for CHL qual? My comment about SC is due to their short sight radius. This topic appears to eliminate the vast majority of pistol shooters claims to any accuracy. I’m doing good to get 3″ @ 25 with an XD40, guess I’ll quit cause I don’t meet your standards. Guess when you get to be POTUS you can declare anything.
    Actually, I hit a running 150# pig @ 25yds or so with the 40SW, 1-2″ off center of mass. Rushed first 2 hit on third and trying to compensate for 40yds, went over him. Guess my XD is accurate, with 165 gr cast to boot.

VANN 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Yeah, I remember that. I started feeling sorry for him after a few post, they called him out good.

I learned a long time ago that there is always someone better at everything. I love my shooting and do the best that I can do, but I know that I’ll never be able to do half of what others can do or claim to be able to do.

Bragging never helps anybody, especially if you can’t prove it.

VANN 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

VANN;n5251 wrote: Yeah, I remember that. I started feeling sorry for him after a few post, they called him out good.

I learned a long time ago that there is always someone better at everything. I love my shooting and do the best that I can do, but I know that I’ll never be able to do half of what others can do or claim to be able to do.

Bragging never helps anybody, especially if you can’t prove it.

Just so nobody gets there panties in a wad this comment is about the guy posting on the other fourm, and is not directed at anybody here.

Wheel Gun 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 43
    • Overall: 45

I can’t speak for others and usually listen to some of the stories without much comment unless asked but in my small shooting group we start with 50′ if were getting decent groups and feel the load is heading in the right direction we move to 20 yards then 25 yards. The last few weeks I felt that a couple of us were doing quite well at 54 yards we were hitting a 6″ steel plate around 18 out of 24 shots. Mine was a old model 66 with a dot on top. I was shooting double action and the other fellow had a fiber front site on a STI slide gun in a 9mm. Were hoping to get to a range with a little more distance sometime soon just to see…
    WG

Dick 
    Participant
    • Bronze

popper;n5246 wrote: Dick, the tone your original post was that under 25 yd targets aren’t valid for gun/load accuracy. I tend to agree but then why the various distance for CHL qual? My comment about SC is due to their short sight radius. This topic appears to eliminate the vast majority of pistol shooters claims to any accuracy. I’m doing good to get 3″ @ 25 with an XD40, guess I’ll quit cause I don’t meet your standards. Guess when you get to be POTUS you can declare anything.
    Actually, I hit a running 150# pig @ 25yds or so with the 40SW, 1-2″ off center of mass. Rushed first 2 hit on third and trying to compensate for 40yds, went over him. Guess my XD is accurate, with 165 gr cast to boot.

Please do not take offense and make this personal. I find 7 yd range reports invalid to me. The purpose of the CHL qual at varying distances is apples to the oranges I posted about. Additionally, CHL quals are tailored to pass the most people (lowest common denominator), as is our pistol qual at my job.

3″ at 25 yds is very nice for any stock gun whether shot from the standing or a rest. As for meeting my standard, how do you know if you met it or not? I read my post again and verified that it is not a slight directed at you. As for my post eliminating the vast majority of shooters’ claims to accuracy, if they only shoot at 7 yards, then yes it does. Nothing I can do about that.

Dick 
    Participant
    • Bronze

VANN;n5251 wrote:

I learned a long time ago that there is always someone better at everything.

Gospel truth right there!!! One of the RSO’s at the range is a multi time national champion, and I’m quite sure he was born in the 1800’s. He regularly cleans the floor with me at the range, lol.

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Dick – nothing personal taken. I feel that 100yds is min. for rifle as most is off a rest and ‘stuff” gets sorted there. IMHO, 15 yds is a better goal as most guns and most shooters are capable when they really try. I only post targets for milestones or something unusual – to wringing out problems (get suggestions from others).. I do agree that a blunderbuss pattern @ 7 doesn’t mean much unless you are a mall ninja – but we don’t have any of them here, right?.

Dick 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I have diligently stood guard on a mall bench while my wife shopped for shoes! I reckon it (7 yd shooting) is really a personal gripe. It wasn’t that long ago that 25 yds was the gold standard, and within the last 10 years or so 7 yds has become the norm. It just seems as such a waste of ammunition and trigger time to me.

Remmie 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 47
    • Overall: 51

Dick;n5273 wrote: I have diligently stood guard on a mall bench while my wife shopped for shoes! I reckon it (7 yd shooting) is really a personal gripe. It wasn’t that long ago that 25 yds was the gold standard, and within the last 10 years or so 7 yds has become the norm. It just seems as such a waste of ammunition and trigger time to me.

But did you have a mall ninja suit with a bunch of tricked out tacti-cool guns for 7 yd competition? I have worked like a dog to get where I am with my shooting but I still have people at the local club out shoot the snot out of me. The main thing is that you keep striving for better and better performance and get out there and shoot. Encouraging 7 yd shooters to try a little farther can only be a good thing.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

It’s a problem in modern shooting culture. Short ranges, 3 shot groups, measuring clusters, unlimited fliers, carfully snipping out the shots that went where you aimed them and putting them in your wallet to “prove you got a sub MOA rifle cheap from wall-mart.
    Nope. doesn’t cut much ice with me, or anybody else. I keep a .53 10 shot, 100 yard group in my wallet and I whip that puppy out every time one of these guys starts talking about his “subMOA” gun.
    Usually the next comment is that they can’t shoot well enough to justify a rifle that accurate………then I remind them that’s what they were just doing………then they leave. (sigh. shrug) I tried.

I am thankful that we have more than our fair share of real shooters here. Let everybody else have the dreamers and the drones. Here at GSF, if you want to impress people, shoot 15 shot groups. Shoot at distances greater than 25/100 yards. Demonstrate real accuracy and don’t apologize for a single bullet hole.

You may come to the conclusion that your firearm is not capable of producing results in these conditions. That’s good! You cannot improve what you refuse to recognize. Now you can ask questions that really matter, change something, and actually see if it makes a difference.

Don’t know what to change? That’s good! You’re in one of the best places on the www. to ask hard questions and get real answers. I’m a custom gunsmith, and many of the members here are extremely sharp when it comes to making things tick correctly.

bullet maker 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 76
    • Overall: 88

My first day as President, all able bodied welfare reciepients would be required to earn there check. No more hand outs for lazy people. I don’t mind helping as long as you help yourself. That should stir things up a little.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.