This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Harter 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

<p>Picked up a Trapdoor .<br> I suspect his shooter grade was worked over a little since Springfield turned it loose .<br> I can’t brag on the way it shoots but it is smooth and the trigger is like glass at maybe 6# . The rear sight is an interesting bit also . Sort of an elliptical pivoting base . It makes my head hurt to even imagine the fitting done with a half dozen files and stones . The sight picture is pretty good also . I can’t believe how much effort has been put into perfecting such a nice sight .
    </p><p><br data-mce-bogus=”1″></p><p>

I loaded a few rounds for the first shots .<br> 454613 @ 285gr paper patched to .462″<br> 12 gr of Unique (the measure was set up at 5.5 for ACP)<br> Win LPP<br> Privi Partizan brass.</p> No idea what the load was doing speed wise 11-1200 fps maybe may have been as little as 900 . I know it’s supposed to be 45-70-405 and smokeless is verboten but I don’t think we hurt anything .<p>Standing off hand we scored 2 hits on an 8″ steel gong at 60yd and 2 more on the 6″ gongs .</p><p>My 454613 is a Large HB RAN bullet that looks more like a Minnie ball than the description , it’s an Ideal also .</p><p><br data-mce-bogus=”1″></p>

Anyway it was pretty cool to get to shoot an original all matching rifle .
    His research lead him to it having been an 1875 action with a new barrel (maybe a rework?) in 1886 .

Don’t know what the load was doing for sure don’t actually care it hit the berm just over the right side about 2:00 with a center hold .

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Pretty cool rifle for sure. I’d love to have one some day.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

He got it at a Reno Show for $500 and the guy threw in a box of 300 gr HP Remington ammo .

Having actually had it in hand and very briefly looking at it the breach block is stupid simple genius . Outside of a full blown catastrophic failure I suspect that in even 1975 steel it would be much stronger than it’s given credit for being , with really only the the hinge pin being a week link . The latch doesn’t feel as robust as it could .
    I was also surprised by how well it handled without being overly heavy .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.