Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      OptimusPanda
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 28

This is the best I’ve been able to do with this caliber so far. But first, a story on the frustrating (at times) rifle that shot this group. It’s a cz527 carbine. When it’s full blown white glove clean it’ll shoot one inch groups for 15 or so rounds then they seem to open up to 2-3″ with any ammo I’ve tried (most of them). After controlling for shooter fatigue and other variables it is fully reproducible. Reloads with jacketed bullets didn’t seem to produce different results. Three weeks ago I picked the project back up, this time with my (relatively) new experience with cast bullet loads in rifles. I still had a pound of IMR4198 from previous testing with it and started there. I loaded 5 loads each a grain apart, picked the best two performing of those, then loaded a half grain on either side of them. The group labeled 17.5 in the picture is the best I have been able to consistently shoot with this rifle. It has so far fired many groups that size (without cleaning) with that load over 3 separate trips to the range. Seems like a good performer so far. BTW that group was shot at 100 yards, and measures 1.5″.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

It can be real fun just trying to get a bolt to shoot well, Semi-Auto’s are even more funner – I had a FAL that I was shooting surplus out of – most were 3″ groups but I got some “Santa Barbara” and dang that stuff grouped – 1 to 1 1/2 – And of course no more came into the country and I have never yet found a load that grouped that good out of that gun. 🙁

OptimusPanda
      Participant
      • Bronze

Yes, I have noticed that a couple of the rifles have taught me that “frustration” and “fun” are adjacent places with an unmarked boarder. The M1, SMLE, and mosin were fairly easy to get shooting how I wanted. This CZ and my K31 are giving me a good bit more trouble. But it tasks me…

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Optimus,

What bullet are you using in your CZ?

OptimusPanda
      Participant
      • Bronze

Theyre the lee 312-155. Gas checked and sized to .313″. This rifle seems to slug .312″ so I have to hand select the bullets cast from that mold that are big enough, otherwise they become messy in my lube sizer and end up with poor neck tension.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

I’d like to hear the trials and tribulations of the K31 also.

OptimusPanda
      Participant
      • Bronze

Sure, let me get some photos frankensteined together. Ill throw it up in a different thread since it’s way off topic for this one.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.