Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 37

I’ve modified a 1/4 ton arbor press to use as a de-priming press and with Lee Classic Loaders.
      I don’t bolt it down. It has enough mass that it stays pretty still. When done I can easily move it out of the way.
      I’m reloading 9mm, 38Sp, .308Win and 45-70 with this set up. I also use it to de-prime all my brass before it’s run through the tumbler.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

Awesome! Any particular reason for wanting to use the Classic Loader dies?

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

I’m cheap…

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Well done!
      Theres no flies on the Lee loaders. They make good ammo.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

But they’re pretty much the same price as Lee’s modern die sets, sometimes more? I’ve wanted some on occasion for some reason or other but the price has always been what kept me from buying them. I have the loader for 45-70 (that came with a rifle I bought), but it doesn’t size the brass enough to prevent the bullet from falling out.

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

Is there a lock to limit the stroke length on those? I know they are strong enough you could put a punch through brass easily.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

JPHolla commented
      Today, 07:18 AM

But they’re pretty much the same price as Lee’s modern die sets, sometimes more? I’ve wanted some on occasion for some reason or other but the price has always been what kept me from buying them. I have the loader for 45-70 (that came with a rifle I bought), but it doesn’t size the brass enough to prevent the bullet from falling out.

Yes, they are the same price but when you’re starting out the Classic Loader is cheaper because you don’t need a press. Have 10 Lee Loaders now but I bought 5 used for $15 each. The arbor press was a $29 HF special… That comes to aprox $234 total rounded out.
      Still less money than used single stage press and that many dies. Used RCBS single stage presses are no less than $80 in this area and the Lee 3 die sets round out to $30 ea. So with all the dies it would be $380.

I started with one Lee Loader, did it all by hand per instructions. Over time bought a few more and learned to do each process as a batch rather than start to finish one case at a time. I had to wear ear muffs because of all the banging with the mallet so I bought the arbor press. Now it’s pretty quite in the shop. I can listen to music and hear the intercom when the wife calls.

I eventually ended up with a single stage press but for some things I like the Lee Loaders and will continue to use them. And you can’t beat them for portable reloading in the field like at the range or such.

And on the 45-70… You do know you can crimp the cases with the Lee Loaders, right? The crimp seems pretty tight to me and it can be varied light to heavy. They work very well in my Trapdoor.

Anyway, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Waksupi,
      No way to limit stroke. Though I haven’t had a problem driving the de-priming punch through the case. The feel is very distinct when the primer pops out even on crimped military primers.

But I will say it’s easy to break the tip off the punch if you accidently get some berdan primed cases… Feels like a crimped primer…:(
      Originally I made some punches from drill stock and broke two of them so I found some titanium and made a couple more. They are heat treated titanium punches and they don’t break or at least I haven’t been able to break them even on berdan primed .308 cases. I even tried to drive the TI punch through the case to see if it would break but nope! With the press not clamped to the bench there’s a self limiting force because of lack of leverage but plenty of force to de-prime and load ammo.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

You’re right about the prices as you have done it; I was thinking you seem to have the ability to make a press if you wanted. I prefer not to crimp unless necessary, but there’s still the issue of the bullet needing to be held in place while crimping. I guess I could have held it sideways or squeezed the brass out-of-round to hold it but just really didn’t care to go to such lengths. A local gunstore happened to have a set of like-new .450 Marlin dies for $20 bucks so it solved the problem. I’ve often thought they could be handy, but like I said, the price keeps me away. When I first started reloading, I started with an RCBS press–something I would not do again for sure. Their price is not justified.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.