Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

gents, I need to appologize for my absence here.
      Theres a lot going on with the move and all, but the main thing is that I took a wrong step the other day and wound up getting emergency surgery!!!

So what happened is that Sunday I was cooking some ribs on the grill and just taking it easy. I went walking out in the new yard looking for some oak limbs to throw on the grill to add a little smoke to the ribs. Didn’t think a thing about it. I was just wearing my house shoes (crocks) and moseying around taking it easy like I’m supposed to on Sunday. Anywho, I took a step and felt a pinch in the middle of my foot. Figured I had just stepped on a stick or something but as I stumbled further, the pain was rising quickly, and my foot felt soggy. You something is terribly wrong when that happens.
      I got back to the grill, quickly broke the limbs I had gathered, and got them placed off the coals, then I bent down and took my crock off. It was soaked with blood and there was a piece of green glass sticking up inside of it about 1″. Yeah. That just came out of my foot.
      I pulled the glass shard from the shoe, limped to the tub and washed my foot and the crock (while the girls looked on in horror) then I limped to my chair and let them patch me up.
      Well, I figured it might be OK as is, but the pain got worse and worse, and I started to get the sneaking suspicion that there was something lodged in my foot very deep.
      I anounced that I thought it best to seek medical attention, so away we went to town and to our clinic. I limped inside and fell into the couch they had in the waiting area. They took my insurance and everything, then regretibly announced there was no doctor there to help, and told me I should go to the other clinic across town.
      I limped to the car and then limped into the other clinic, the whole time thinking there was definitely something lodged very deep in my foot!
      They signed me in and I made it back to the room, where the nurse eventually arrived only to tell me that they were not able to help either!
      I was advised to go to the ER.
      By the time I got to the ER, I almost could not walk anymore for the pain. I was just considering the lodgistics of dragging my sorry ass face first up to the check in desk when a thoughtful nurse offered me a wheelchair. Heavens be praised!!!
      3 hours later I was begging the sorry suckers to slip me a freakin Advil or put me out of my considerable misery, to which they sorrowfully shook their heads saying only a doctor could authorize that. What a time to leave my gun in the car!!!

They finally wheeled me into the X-ray room and I was shortly informed that I did indeed have a piece of glass lodged about 1″ deep in my foot right around a bunch of tendons and stuff that really shouldn’t have sharp objects scrubbing against them.

about 9:00pm, the doctor finally arrived and said he would like to try digging it out with local anesthesia, but that situations like this are a real “crap chute” because it’s hard to get the patient to hold still while he found the glass, then extracted it. He said this might end up being a job for a surgeon.
      Yeah, no shit.
      So first he jabbed a needle in my foot that felt ever so special, then he started snipping away pieces of my foot so he could get to the problem. I managed not to pass out throughout this process, but when he started shoving he forceps in between my tendons and tugging on things he thought was the problem, I screamed, got lightheaded, and started dry heaving. I’ve never had pain like that in my life.
      The decision was made that surgery was a good idea, and I couldn’t agree more.
      I kissed the girls goodby, and told Angie to keep her gun close while I was out because for the first time since I met her, I was unable to protect her.

They rolled me back in a very cold room with very bright lights, and that was the last thing I saw.

I woke up later feeling like I was in a fight where everyone had a stick but me.
      Angie later told me that the anesthesiologist told her that I do not respond well to anesthesia. Said that when they brought me out I went totally berserk and it took a couple big fellers to hold me down. All I know is that every muscle in my body felt like it had been pushed to the limit.

The past three days have been extremely painful, and I’ve been on pain meds of one kind or another. I can tell you I’ve taken the Pepsi challenge, and Tequila works better than hydrocodone by a long shot. That pharmacudical stuff is not my cup of tea.

Anyway, I’ve finally got my head back about me, and I’ve been venturing out and doing a few things. I figure I’ll be in better shape in a few days.

Watch your step fellers.

JRR
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 84
      • Overall: 107

Feel better soon Tim. Take your time and heal well. Let your wife and daughter take care of you for awhile.
      Jeff

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Thanks Jeff!
      They have been real troopers and have done a great job taking care of me.
      Im feeling much better now. I got out today and helped move some heavy stuff. I probably pushed a little too hard, but it felt soooooo good to get up and do something productive!!! I’m used to standing for about 15 hours a day, and for the past 3 days, I’ve been sitting around like a bum. I watched the first 4 seasons of Andy Griffith though. LOL!

I think I’ll be back to normal by the fourth. I heal fast.

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 82
      • Overall: 90

I cringed just reading about it, I don’t do pain like I did ten or fifteen years ago. Hang in there and get healed up.
      On a funnier note, the first four seasons of Andy Griffith has three of my favorite episodes, Opie’s Poem, Barney’s Sidecar and Crime-Free Mayberry

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The main thing that bugs me about this is that I was aiming to finish some very important jobs this week.
      I was so close to hitting my goals but I missed it by a foot……

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

For sure! The first five seasons were the best.
      I like the pickle story, and all the ones with the Darlin family.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Lol .
      Ms had a foot repair done in March. Very simple just a little “z” cut on the little toe foot bone ,6 weeks in a hrd shoe and back to work w on 2 off as she could handle it … she dropped a sack of potatoes . The next visit doc says nope you’re off your foot 8 weeks ,the screw held but the knitting failed. . So she broke her foot on a hog hunt 2 yr ago and gimped around on it till it hurt so bad she couldn’t work ,got it fixed ,broke the repair an is finally back to work last week full time again .

The moral ,if you will. Is take a few extra days days ,there might be rubbed ligaments and tendons that need a little time to heal or scar back to full strength. . Man how I’d hate to hear you were loading up to meet a customer on his/her range and went tango uniform because something popped and now you’re layed up for 12 weeks with splices and half you foot skinned back.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Please. Do me a favor and refrain from jinxing me.
      LOL!

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

OUCH !!!!!!!
      Dang, Man that had to have really hurt !!!! Do as the Doc says and get back on your feet— no pun intended.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Glad you are now on the heal.

I did notice that you are responding to many more posts. LOL!

I do have a suggestion on your recuperation: If your wife says to do something, your response should be “Yes mam.” Our women sometimes know better than we do.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Rattlesnake Charlie;n7873 wrote: Glad you are now on the heal.

I did notice that you are responding to many more posts. LOL!

I do have a suggestion on your recuperation: If your wife says to do something, your response should be “Yes mam.” Our women sometimes know better than we do.

I think you’re right about that.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

I NEVER knew Arkansas glass had FANGS!!!
      Welcome back
      Mike

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

So you been shooting bottles with the BB gun again near the house? When a kid, I had to walk home to get Mom to remove the short 2×4 from the bottom of the tennis shoe, nail was sticking out the top. Fortunately just needed a tetanus shot. Heal fast.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

Tim, Your description of your ordeal had me cringing! Glad to hear you are on the mend. I know what you mean about those pharmaceutical meds. Don’t like them but alcohol is not an option for me. Tylenol 3 is about my only option. Take care and heal soon my friend.

Jay

afish4570
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 9
      • Overall: 11

Crocs I too have had a few puncture wounds while wearing them. Had a piece of wire from a 4″ mini grinder cup type brush poke thru mine….wondering what the soreness in my foot was and it turned out to be a single bristle poking a nice hole. Just enough to tick me off and no infection. My most recent was a sharp stick stabbing me….a tweezer solved the problem…..Moral to story is Crocs don’ t provide much protection from punctures or slipping….. Tread carefully.afish4570

Wright Arms
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 130
      • Overall: 138

I work for one of the nation’s class 1 railroads and on any given day may have to walk over a mile on rock, ‘Ballast’, as it it called in the RR’d industry. Each piece is about the size of a big man’s fist and 24″ deep in some places. If it is a particularly bad day, I may have to walk that mile stretch 10 or more times. I have grown accustomed to wearing 12″ logger boots every day. They are heavy and expensive, but the only time I take them off is when I am inside my home. I will likely have bad knees when I retire, but I have stayed safe from foreign objects and sprained ankles.

farmerjim
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 25
      • Overall: 25

I had a 2 inch thorn jamed into the bottom of my foot when I was 15. The pain from the shot to deaden it to remove the thorn was the worst pain I had ever experienced. I had to have another shot in the bottom of my foot about 4 years ago. The doctor said it was going to hirt. I said I know. I remember both of those shots like it was yesterday.
      Your pain has to be more than mine ever was. The bottom of the foot is super sensitive. Get well soon.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Having spent more than my fair share of time in an emergency room I found your descriptions accurate and to the point.You folks will notice this man got the wood on the fire before checking his foot.1st things 1st.A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.Glad you’re on the mend and pray the healing is swift

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’m hobbling around trying to recover. It’s strange. The pain is worst in the morning and kind of tapers off to a dull roar in the afternoon, but I’m hobbling again by evening. If I do much standing or lifting, I pay for it the next day.
      Freakin sucks. I havnt spent so much time on my ass in the last decade. Even when I had the flu I got around more than this.

I felt the need to take a trailer to the old place with my buddy JT and get our refrigerator and a load of boxes.
      That was not a good idea…..
      I’m trying to keep the wheels rolling, but they’re going to have to roll without me for a couple more days I recon.

DeadWoodDan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 91

Something I’ve been struggling with: Older I get (And thinking 42 was still 18) the more time it takes to recover, and that is for all things.
      Get well and enjoy the down time, give you a chance to spend more with the wife.

Happy 4th
      Kevin

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 24
      • Overall: 26

As has been said, don’t do too much too soon. Been there, lots of stuff moving around in a foot. lol

blackthorn
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 17
      • Overall: 17

Sorry for your misfortune! The fact is, that type of injury to the sole of the foot is going to be EXTREMELY painful, perhaps due to the sensitive nerves in the foot? When I was a kid I stuck a nail into the sole of my foot, along with a “core” of rubber from mu running shoe. 60 odd years later I can still feel that piece of rubber coming out of the foot when my Dad pulled it. I spent a lot of time in throbbing pain. Stick in there this too shall pass!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.