Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Glenn 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
     Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 195
    • Overall: 230

Hi Guys.  Doc44 and I picked up a couple of 375 Ruger Rifles.  He got the Savage and I bought the Mossberg Patriot with Grey laminated stock and Marinecoat finish with 22″ barrel.

Mossberg Patriot in 375 Ruger

I put a 3.5-10 Vortex scope on it and this sucker is light, weighing only 8# 12oz with the scope on.  This will be nice for carrying around the mountains, but it’s abit rude shooting it from the bench.  The trigger on this is terrible.  Some times it breaks clean at around 3#, other times it has some creep and grit and the saftey tab doesn’t always come back out when you let off of the trigger.

Instead of checkering, it is stippled on the pistol grip and forend.

I’ve started trying to work up some loads for it with CFE223, CCI mag primers(can’t find Fed 215s anywhere) and the Speer 235s, but I’m getting some inconsistent ignition problems.  Yesterday I had some hangfire problems, so I bumped the powder charge up and things settled down some, but isn’t quite where it should be.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I shot this target tonight.

Unfortunately there were all with the same powder charge.  lol

I think that if I can get some consistent ignition, this might actually want to shoot.  I’ve been wanting to use one of the modern temp resistant powders, but I may break down and try some H4895 tomorrow.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Glenn, I have a few hundred of the Federal 215 Magnum primers and I would be glad to share a box of them with you. They are the hottest Large magnum rifle primer on the market, except they haven’t been on the market that I have seen in 3 years.

I used to use federal primers exclusively, but I just can’t get them. I find pistol primers for sale occasionally, but not rifle primers.

SO, I’ve had to find alternatives and CCI has earned my respect as an excellent primer choice in every style. If I were you I would check out the CCI large rife magnum primers. You might be able to source them locally.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I’m using the CCI 250s already.  I got them at Fort Thompson, they said they were supposed to be getting the Fed215s in sometime.  So I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

I just had a thought about using a tuft of dacron to keep the powder in place.  I think I’ll try that and see if it gives any improvement.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

That should be plenty of fire to light the powder with. Very strange.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 503
    • Overall: 553
    • Gold

I haven’t used any ball powders in my 375 H&H.  So far I’ve found IMR or H4895 and Varget to be the best powders with 250 & 270 gr jacketed bullets.  I use WLR primers and have not had an ignition issue.

Have you checked out my thread on this sub forum?  Your 375 Rugers should be able to duplicate that.  I would suggest if you go to heavier bullets and loads you slide that scope a bit forward in the rings……..Weatherby eye brow hurts and bleeds like hell……..

Larry Gibson

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

The trigger started acting up, so it’s headed back to the factory…

JPHolla 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 121

I would not have expected this. My load for this cartridge is a case full of WC-872 (right at 100gr if memory serves) and a homemade 270 grain bullet with Winchester primers. I haven’t had problems with inconsistent ignition and was pleasantly surprised to be getting over 2500fps with such a slow powder. That led me to believe this was a very efficient case design. Of course, I had read not to use H&H load date due to the shorter, fatter design, even though it has more capacity. Perhaps the full fill and Winchester primers is doing the job.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I’m using load data from Hodgdon for the CFE223 powder.

When it gets back, I’ll try some Dacron on top of the powder, if that doesn’t do it, I’ll try some H4895 and see where that takes me.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I got the rifle back from Mossberg and the trigger is much better.
    I found some Fed 215s on GunBroker and my velocities are much more uniform now.

I’m getting verticle stringing on most of my targets. I’m starting to wonder if it’s bouncing off of the bags. So today I folded up a couple of wool blankets to rest on and shot the following targets. I had the forend on the blankets and the butt on the bags and still got some stringing.

I also tried putting a bipod on and the groups were better, but still had some verticle dispersion.

The first picture was hard to see, so I put up another one.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Doc44 and I were talking last night and he suggested that I try pressure bedding the  forend of the stock to see if that would help with my vertical stringing.

So I cut a strip out of a milk jug and folded it 3 layers thick and squeezed it in under the barrel.

Then I went back to my best load so far of 78gn of H4895 with the Fed 215 primer.  It gave 3062fps and this 5 shot group.

Looks like it’s time to get some bedding compound and build up the forend.

Next, I’m gonna switch to the 270 Hornady’s and see what that gives.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I tried some Hornady factory 270gn SP ammo today.  It clocked 2835fps for 5 shots from my 22″ bbl.

Doc44 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 36
    • Overall: 37

With or without the pressure bed?

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Without the pressure bed.

The shims were starting to slide out while shooting some 270gn handloads, so I took them out to see what the rifle would do with factory ammo.

I wonder what powder they used?  Superformance?  The velocity was very consistent with the factory ammo.  The first 3 shots only differed by 2fps.  The 5 shot string was: 2836, 2834, 2835, 2850, 2821. AV: 2835  SD: 10.24

The high shot was the 2nd one and I waited about 3 mins between shots.  At close to $3 a round for factory ammo, I really would like to shoot handloads instead.  I’m open to any suggestions if anyone knows what I should try next to get this thing to behave.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Well, I think I’m getting close on this rifle.  It seems to be abit finicky as to what it’s rested on.  I seem to be getting better groups by just resting on some folded up wool blankets vs the regular V sand bags.

I put a Leopold 2-7 VXII on it instead of the Vortex.

The 5 shots on the right were one group.  4 of them cut a nice clean hole, I don’t have an answer for the one that went low.

I had 2 shots left and used them while adjusting the windage.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.