Viewing 42 reply threads
  • Author
      Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Here is my M38 that’s been tweaked into a suppressed scout rifle.

But I saw this today and wonder if I should go further.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

I wouldn’t go further but its your $$

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

I have 4 Mosin Nagants. Here’s my M91/20 and type53 I repatriated from Viet Nam, Republic Of……previous owners had no further use for them……..

Here’s my M91/28 PU Sniper;

And here’s my Sako made Finnish M39 I’ve set up for shooting Modified Scope class in CBA competition. I’ve also added an SKS style safety and use it for pressure measurement.

Larry Gibson

Uncle Grinch
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 18
      • Overall: 19

I bought three M91 Mosins from Aim back when they were only $69 each. Didn’t keep them very long once I picked up my Finn M39. It may be a Mosin underneath, but there is no comparison in accuracy and looks.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

There wasn’t any discussion of the legalities of making a short barreled rifle.
      Looks like lots o fun, but…

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Lar45 it is a form 1 build so send $200 to Tio Sam and wait for approval then start cutting

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I really want to make a mosin into a 45-70 some day.
      I really should have bought one back when they were $89.95. Wish I had. Some folks seem to think they are worth as much as a Mauser. I’m like “Hmmm, schmells funny. Whatcha schmokin?” LOL!

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Oh, yeah your looking like $200+ for a Very Good/Excellent Mosin rifle

closer to double that for a good Siamese Mauser Model which is an excellent 45-70 convert

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I stopped by Don’s in Little Rock today and they had a really clean Mosin on the used rack for $399!! ouch
      As ugly as the Mosin’s are, they are supposed to be insanely strong.
      There was a write up done several years back about a guy, son’t remember who, who tried to turn one inside out. He reloaded with a 100% charge of faster and faster powder trying to see when it would let go. He had it clamped in a vise with a cutout 20mm ammo can over it for a blast shield. I think he got to a casefull of Bullseye and everything held together, so he found a heavier bullet to seat on top of the Bullseye. This load melted the brass case and it flowed into all of the nooks and cranies of the action, but the action held together and he was able to beat the bolt open. I think that things were bent a little so the action would not cycle smoothly anymore.
      I’ve read magazine articles that say the Mosin should only be to 45k or something(sorry don’t remember exactly) Quickload shows a max pressure of 56k and a case capacity of 64gns H2O, compared to the 30-06 with a max pressure of 60k and case capacity of 68gns H2O. Just for comparison.

I think the Ugly little Mosin looks like it would be alot of fun.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

lar45;n3546 wrote: I stopped by Don’s in Little Rock today and they had a really clean Mosin on the used rack for $399!! ouch

Ahhhhh……….
      The schweeght schweeght schmeghll of schmoke. Take one down, pass it around.

$400 bones for a mosin? It better be an FN.

I’m finding 1909 Argentine Mausers for about $250-$300 occasionally.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      badbob454
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 46
      • Overall: 59

cool video, rifle is stronger than i thought,,,

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Pretty strong actions. I understand that one can rebarrel them to 45-70 Gov. That would be interesting…..

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

I have tried several times to post pics here and can not get it to work.. Don’t use hosting sites just post from saved pics on computer
      anyway I like to take bubbarized mosins and make them work again
      Right now I have a M39, An actual NEW (not rearsenaled ) M44, a shortened Remington mosin with rem 60’s-70’s factory sights and a bent bolt laminated wood 91/30

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

That’s the video I was thinking of…..

Thanks Art!

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

Tim,
      I have a Mosin I can send you. It is missing the stock and the barrel has had some rather interesting bubba work done to it but the price is right.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 95

My 1945 M44 I purchased several years ago,i ended up having to refinish the stock due to the old finish flaking off. While I was at it I cork bedded the action,floated the barrel and corked the front barrel rest. I also added a S & K scout mount and 3 x 7 x 32 pistol scope. She shoots pretty good with cast lead. Here is the first 5 shot group I shot with it after I got it sighted in.

I also purchased a 1933 Tula HEX receiver for $100 recently that was in need of a bit of work as well. I opted for a more blonde stock on this one with a reddish tint. I did all the action work on this one as well but I’m installing a rear peep sight on this one an I hope it shoot cast as well as the M44. It has nice sharp rifling with a .313″ groove bore.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

lar45;n3546 wrote: …………
      I’ve read magazine articles that say the Mosin should only be to 45k or something(sorry don’t remember exactly) Quickload shows a max pressure of 56k and a case capacity of 64gns H2O, compared to the 30-06 with a max pressure of 60k and case capacity of 68gns H2O. Just for comparison.

I think the Ugly little Mosin looks like it would be alot of fun.

I’ve been shooting the MNs in 7.62x54R since ’65 in the SE Asian war games when I traded some 7.62 NATO to a couple fellows who didn’t need them anymore for a Type 53 and a M91/28. Over the years I found the generally published info to use .308 bullets was wrong and began using .311/.312 bullets. accuracy went from very poor to excellent. Then I picked up a M91/28 refurbished Finn M91/28 which shot extremely well. I put a 4X Bushnell scope on it and ended up trading it for a pristine M91 Argentine. That was all before the massive importation of MNs occurred. I then picked up a very nice M91/30 PU sniper and a Finn SAKO built M39 (pictured in previous posts).

As some know I have an Oehler M43 and am able to measure pressures and gather a lot of other data. I imagine Lar’s memory of psi’s comes from not only magazine articles but also a few posts I made on CBF giving the psi measurements of numerous milsurp, factory commercial and my own reloads. I set the M39 SAKO Finn up for psi measurement with the M43 Oehler. I’ve tested 4 different lots of “L” milsurp (148 – 150 gr j bullets) and the psi’s ran from 40,800 to 42,200 psi. The “L” milsurp all runs 2750 – 2800+ fps. Three lots of “D” milsurp (180 – 182 gr j bullets) and those psi’s ran 42,100 – 45,300 psi. One lot of Finnish 163 gr J milsurp ran 38,100 psi. The “D” milsurp ran 2518 – 2565 fps.

Two different lots of Norma 150 gr SPs ran right at 45,600 psi. The Winchester 180 gr SPs ran 45,900 psi. My 150 gr .312 Hornady load of 47 gr H4895 ran 39,800 and 49 gr ran 2800+ fps right at 45,000 psi. An extremely accurate load is the .311 Sierra 174 MK over 46.5 gr H4895 which runs 2666 fps at 44,200 psi. The Sierra .311 180 SP over 46 gr H4895 runs 2606 fps at 46,500 psi and is also extremely accurate.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

Sunday (24 April 2016) I shot the Arizona CBA Military Rifle Match at Ben Avery Range in Phoenix. I used my Finn SAKO M39 with an original Weaver T-6 scope (largest power allowed). The load I used was; Norma cases well fire formed and NS’d, WLR Primers, 28.5 gr of milsurp IMR4895, a 3/4 gr Dacron filler and a Lyman (newer production mould) 314299 cast of #2 alloy WQ’s sized .314 lubed with 2500+ with Hornady GCs.

The match was shot on NRA 100 and 200 yard reduced 600 yard targets. We shot two 10 shot groups for group and two 10 shot strings for score at 100 yards on the 100/600 reduced target and the same at 200 yards on the 200/600 reduced target. I was shooting mostly against M1903 and M1903A3s. I won the grand aggregate for group and the grand aggregate for score which makes me the Arizona Military Rifle Cast bullet Champion for 2016. Perhaps some on CBA and CBF who claim I have no “credibility” and question my veracity in what can be done with cast bullets are having crow for dinner?

I was shooting the 100 yard target for score shown and had put 3 shots at the top of the X ring. I thought I should go down 1/4 moa as the group was literally “bug hole”. A little voice I the back of my head said not to but I did anyway……put the 4th shot in the X ring at 6:30 and congratulated my self……until the 5th shot……..it’s the low barely a 10 at 7:00….:eek:……that little voice in the back of my head said; see stupid:mad:…….moving the sight moves the center of the cone of fire not the strike of the bullet……..went back up 1/4 moa and put the last 5 in the “bug hole”…….go figure:rolleyes:………still a very good score of 100 with 7 Xs……:D After that string the wind started giving us all fits. No wind flags were allowed, no measurement of wind is allowed and there is nothing, nada, zip to judge the wind by on the Ben Avery BR range. As the match director said; there are no BR records set at Ben Avery……..I am very inclined to not disagree………:confused:

Was a fun match.

Larry Gibson

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

Larry,

Very nice shooting. And congratulations!!!

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Congratulations indeed nice target indeed

– I hate it when the voices of experience say “see I told you so”

DRIVERMAN
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 3

Absolutely brilliant shooting. Congrats and well done.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

Artful

Interesting thread you started on CBF. I am amazed at the narcissistic arrogance of r5r even suggesting I emulated him by using Lyman #2 alloy. I’ve been using #2 alloy since ’68…..long before anyone heard of him. Obviously he didn’t bother to read any of my posts that he banned me for or he would know what alloy I’ve been fond of for a long time……….

Larry Gibson

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Larry Gibson;n6258 wrote: Artful

Interesting thread you started on CBF. I am amazed at the narcissistic arrogance of r5r even suggesting I emulated him by using Lyman #2 alloy. I’ve been using #2 alloy since ’68…..long before anyone heard of him. Obviously he didn’t bother to read any of my posts that he banned me for or he would know what alloy I’ve been fond of for a long time……….

Larry Gibson

Larry who is this character (r5r) of whom you speak ?

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Just an old amigo

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

r5r is Steve Martin??? wow ….. didn’t know Steve Martin shot cast bullets

;):rolleyes:

(yeah …yeah…. sick humor again, but life is way to short not to have some humor and fun)

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

On CBF its runfiverun.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Just tried to get onto Castboolits, but their server is apparently down.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Check the mirror – you are apparently Lord Voldemort – the evil wizard from Harry Potter books/Movie and are using Magic Dacron to make those boolits group so well.

anyone else who wants to look in here’s the link
      http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?305710-Congratulations-are-in-Order

MTtimberline
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 37
      • Overall: 40

I’m considering mounting a scope on my current Mosin to see if it has the accuracy potential it is hinting and having even more fun with it and the NOE 314299. I’d like to leave it as is but it has been import stamped so probably just going to have fun with it. Looking into receiver mounts for my best option.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

I have the S & K scout mount on my M44 along with a 2 x 7 x 32 LER scope. The mount requires no gun smithing so it’s easy to put back to original,just punch out the pin that holds the sight blade on,remove the leaf spring an install the mount. It comes in either 1″ steel rings or Weaver rail. I choose the ring mount but the rail will work with either and is great if you want to install a red dot sight for quick point shooting.

MTtimberline
      Participant
      • Bronze

I was not crazy about the idea of a scout scope but that setup might be worth trying. Thanks for the suggestion.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

The only real issues I have an it’s not much of one is the size of the scope tube which is 32mm’s,looks kinda small sticking out there. I wish they made a scout scope with a 40 or 50mm reticle. I have even thought about removing the scope and replacing it with a Red Dot sight but haven’t gotten around to it. With the rings I would have to use something like a Millet or Pro Pointer tub type sight.

tomme boy
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 41
      • Overall: 42

Awesome job Larry!

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Is that the NcStar scope S&K sells?

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze

It’s an NcStar that I bought off OpticsPlanet about 5 years ago. Never really noticed if S & K sold those scopes or not but there pretty readily available about anywhere. I think I paid around $35 for mine at the time as it’s a cheap scope compared to some of the other brand names of pistol type scopes but it’s held zero all these years.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

My M-38 with Burris 2x7x28 pistol scope. Laminated stock, hex receiver, looks like new, kicks like a mule.

9w1911
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 6
      • Overall: 9

I have:
      M39 1944 VKT unissued
      M39 B barrel unissued
      M27 Tikka 1935
      M44 1946 unissued

Will be shooting them all lots this summer.

MTtimberline
      Participant
      • Bronze

Larry,
      I’m curious about what your mount set-up is for the T-6 on your SAKO M39.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

MTtimberline;n7254 wrote: Larry,
      I’m curious about what your mount set-up is for the T-6 on your SAKO M39.

Sorry, don’t remember the name of it but it’s the generic mount you see advertised with the bolt handle you cut off and D&T a screw hole to hold it on. The base is grooved to fit round and octagon front receiver rings. The kit comes with the appropriate drills and taps and if you have access to a drill press with milling table or a vertical mill it’s not hard to D&T the receiver.

I’ve done several of them for a company I contracted training with. I found the bolt handle provided to be a bit on the short side and did not want to inlet the M39s stock for it. As I already had the M91/30 sniper bolt handle I decided to slightly modify the mount for it’s use. I also set the front of the base about 1/16″ ahead of the front of the receiver ring which allowed putting a 3rd base screw to make it a little more “solid”. Thread size was 10×32 so it wasn’t hard to modify the base and line the hole placement to not interfere with the upper locking lug recess. The rear of the base was shortened and part of the top was removed for bolt handle clearance. The rings are old Redfield’s made for Weaver bases. The also are adjustable for windage so the scope can be zeroed with the windage close to center of adjustment.

Larry Gibson

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Larry, where did you get that cheek pad?

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

Rattlesnake Charlie;n7318 wrote: Larry, where did you get that cheek pad?

Honestly I don’t really remember………I got that one and a medium height one back in the mid ’70s. I think I got them from the old “10X” company that made shooting jackets, shooting gloves and other accessories……don’t hold me to that though. Wish I had got a couple more….

Originally they laced on but I converted that one to Velcro so it is easy to switch from rifle to rifle. That High one is my most used cheek pad for milsurp stocks with scopes. I spray some “stick’em” (sticky spray used by HP shooters on shooting jacket on the shoulder and where the elbows go on shooting mats…it cleans off easy) on the top of the stock to better hold it in place and the butt wrap of Velcro keeps it from sliding forward under recoil. They work quite well. Tried the M1D Garand pad but it also puts your cheek off to the side which was counter productive to a good spot weld on an over the bore scope setup.

Larry Gibson

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.